GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to stop headlight washers working?

amcneill

First really bad frost this morning and I'm a bit concerned about damaging the car...I switched off the auto retract of the mirrors but apparently you need to pull fuse 36 (fuse box next to the steering wheel) to disable the headlight washers.another post stated that there is only one washer pump for the car..so would removing fuse 36 stop the washers popping up but they would still squirt washer fluid underneath the bumper? Any advice please.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You can disable it with VCDS or OBDeleven. I have changed them to operate every 15squirts of the main wipers to as the standard is too often.

They are fine in the frost, as are the mirrors, I had zero problems last year. Unlike my BMW e92 that are renowned for the covers popping off if used when frozen.

Make sure you do not leave the wipers on automatic as if they freeze to the screen and they operate it will rip the rubber.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
First really bad frost this morning and I'm a bit concerned about damaging the car...I switched off the auto retract of the mirrors but apparently you need to pull fuse 36 (fuse box next to the steering wheel) to disable the headlight washers.another post stated that there is only one washer pump for the car..so would removing fuse 36 stop the washers popping up but they would still squirt washer fluid underneath the bumper? Any advice please.

Make a change from squirting all over the bonnet :). Bit annoying and a good reason to get OBDEleven. Good tip re: auto wipers too as it is getting a bit chilly...

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

amcneil: Hi.

Hmm............... not sure that your understanding about F36 is entirely accurate (for a mk7). According to the VW material, this fuse is for: F36 - Control unit for right daytime running light and side light -J861-. So I suggest that you leave F36 in place!

In fact, the mk7's redesign onto VW's MQB platform has made it less reliant on traditional fuses for circuit protection. Instead, the mk7 has "beefed-up" the role of the Body-control-module (BCM) for this purpose and lots of equipment on a mk7 is now protected by electronic facilities inside the BCM. The two washer pumps (yes, the windshield washer pump and the headlight washer pumps are separate on a standard mk7) are protected by the BCM - not by fuses.

Here's a section of the wiring diagram that shows how the two pumps are connected to the BCM (J519 in the diagram)

Notice the direct connections and the absence of fuses!

So - if you want to disable the headlight washer pump - there are a few ways of doing this :
1. You could find the earth wire on the headlight washer pump (it's the brown colored wire) and remove this connection. I'm not sure, but I suspect that the BCM protection capabilities will recognize that V12 is no longer in-circuit and an error message could be generated.

2. The better way (as suggested by Finglonga) is to get hold of a forum colleague that has a VCDS, or OBD11 cable and ask him/her to change the settings on the BCM - telling it that the pump is not installed. This is done by placing a tick in Byte 13, Bit 3 of the control module at address hex09 (the VCDS/OBD11 cable owner will understand what this means)

Don

Last edited:

amcneill

Thanks for the reply.great response.unfortunately I don't have a vcds or obd11...

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the reply.great response.unfortunately I don't have a vcds or obd11...

amcneil: Surely this forum has an "introduction" facility whereby a colleague with one of these cable is willing to help out? Might cost you a bottle of wine/few beers - bur certainly doable - I would hope

If you want to drive your car down here, I'm more than happy to do this tweak for free! Just keep driving south and if you get to Tasmania - you have gone too far!!

Don

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
It would help if the OP disclosed his location.....