GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the traction control (ESC) button to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I long press and a short press no amber light ...:(

But the function is available~

Double checked with manual ook also, no amber light as the button can do short press & long press. The simple ones which do light up amber are active/deactivate functions...:cool:

x-father

I'm looking to integrate my already hard wired radar detector's mute button into one of the console buttons. The process will be nearly identical to DV52's thread for a garage door opener but I would like to utilize the "eco start/stop" location on the left side row. Does anyone know if that is possible, meaning is the economy switch hard wired to earth, like the park assist and parking aid on the right side and unusable for my purposes, or is the eco switch floating like tire set?

Hello. I have done similar solution. Radar detector button conected to left panel.

I bought new leftp panel. Original panel with start/stop panel a swapped with new one with mode + start stop button.

Here is schema of panel, and connector.

Attachments

• G7.jpg
    G7.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,831

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
Hello. I have done similar solution. Radar detector button conected to left panel.

I bought new leftp panel. Original panel with start/stop panel a swapped with new one with mode + start stop button.

Thanks, do you know the type/ohm of the two resistors before the "stop/start active" led?

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!

So i figured out those resistors must total 420ohm to reduce 12v to 1.5v, but do we know the current requirement of that led? Maybe 25mA?

PasifikMavi

Passed Driver's Ed
thank you for your guide golfdave,

i purchased MODE/S&S/ESC button from VW dealer (my car only had S&S button) but the repair cables were relatively expensive so i went to a VAG Store well known for their retrofits (they have even retrofitted Active Info Display from Passat to MK7 Golf). They charged for around 100USD for cable harness and labor.

It was fine untill that point but when they connected it with the way you mentioned, nothing worked. They checked ELSA which was still pointing to the connector you have mentioned. As an alternative they connected it directly to ABS Module in engine bay without using any fuses or something. Do you think this is safe ?

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
Does anyone know what perceivable difference in handling and throttle there is with ESC off on a 1.8 TSI? With such little power I can't imagine very much. Or possibly because of such little power, perhaps it does make a difference.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
thank you for your guide golfdave,

i purchased MODE/S&S/ESC button from VW dealer (
It was fine untill that point but when they connected it with the way you mentioned, nothing worked. They checked ELSA which was still pointing to the connector you have mentioned. As an alternative they connected it directly to ABS Module in engine bay without using any fuses or something. Do you think this is safe ?

I should be ok as the T17d connector pin5 goes straight to the ABS no fuses needed. So the you car has no wire at pin 5 then??

Does anyone know what perceivable difference in handling and throttle there is with ESC off on a 1.8 TSI? With such little power I can't imagine very much. Or possibly because of such little power, perhaps it does make a difference.

Please post question in main forum section. The main reason for ESC button is to make access to functions quicker than via the touch screen. I have mine coded for ESC sport as per the Golf "R", I very rarely use this function. I do however use the TSC off part ALOT in winter time...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I
it has the pins but strangely connecting it to there just does not work. If it just goes to ABS unit i am fine with that ^^

I would be very careful about that then...

For VW OEM fit you take pin 9 from the ESC switch module to pin5 of the T17d connector. then pin 5 on the other side of the T17d connector should be factory wiring to pin 39 on ABS unit.

Was there existing factory wiring to pin 5 on one side of the connector, remember you need both sides of the connector wired up!

PasifikMavi

Passed Driver's Ed
I would be very careful about that then...

For VW OEM fit you take pin 9 from the ESC switch module to pin5 of the T17d connector. then pin 5 on the other side of the T17d connector should be factory wiring to pin 39 on ABS unit.

Was there existing factory wiring to pin 5 on one side of the connector, remember you need both sides of the connector wired up!

I don't know. despite the shop who did this is so well known, they wont let you see the car while doing their work. So i dont really know how they did it. :(

Maybe i should hope for the best as it work without a problem right now

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
What is the point in turning off ESC? I thought it was a safety feature to stop issues where the road is slippery.

The ESC switch when pressed once turns of the ASR traction control like you can do via the infotainment screen which takes longer. You need to do this to move off from a standstill even with winter tyres on a slippy surface otherwise the car just fights itself when you need wheel spin...even the handbook states this..

Turning the ESC to sport mode via a longer press is like factory spec on "R" which allows more actual slide before the nanny ESC takes over...If you tack your car then ESC OFF which is code-able with VCDS is even better..

x2001pmq

Golfdave, do you need the factory switch for this or could you use any push button momentary switch and just wire in directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk