GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is there a version of this for 4 motion because I am having NVH issues I can’t seem to resolve
No.....nothing made for the AWD rear subframe...sorry... 🤷‍♂️

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
I just bought one of these. Between the log rolling low speed noise and noise I added with an RSB, the loud 034 endlinks and my VWR rear chassis brace, I’m not expecting miracles but would be pleasantly surprised with a small noise reduction. Till then I’ll turn up the radio 😂.

this thing is also probably the nerdiest part I’ve ever installed complete with its own origin story riddled with bean counter lore. Pretty excited to ever meet anyone in the wild that knows what this is.
Great thread 🤟🏼

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Got mine in a couple weeks ago; even if it's just smoke, mirrors, and placebo, it's one of my fav weird little VW stories to share. Many thanks @golfdave

this thing is also probably the nerdiest part I’ve ever installed complete with its own origin story riddled with bean counter lore. Pretty excited to ever meet anyone in the wild that knows what this is.
Great thread 🤟🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Having written so much on the subject of "rolling log" noise that was all down to rear shock absorbers going back to 2014 plus excessive cabin noise resulting in the fitting of sound insulation, changing tire makes and the fitting of the subframe damper I now have complete satisfaction, after changing the car. www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

Earlier this June I took my 7.5 GTI for a service. The car was 4.5. years old with 22k on the clock. While at the dealer in Bath UK I discussed options of a replacement car. Sitting in the middle of the showroom amongst new cars was a really special looking 7.5 GTI and out of interest I asked the salesman about the car. He said it was really quite special and a rare vehicle. First off he told me about the extras, factory fitted sun-roof (not that important to me but its OK), it was the PP version, 7-speed DSG, leather upholstery, reversing camera, 19" wheels, Lane assist, Dynaudio, traffic sign recognition, keyless entry and stop/start button. Well this sounded interesting and then the bonus for me was DCC and that was something I had always wanted as at my age I require a bit more comfort.

GTI 1.jpeg
GTI 2.jpeg

The real bonus then came with the announcement that though the car was now 3.5 years old it only had completed 7,200 miles with one lady owner from Bristol. The car was immaculate inside and out and really looked brand-new. I took the car for a test run for about an hour over different road surfaces and instantly knew just how great this model is. The asking price was £28000 and they offered me exactly £20000 for mine. They agreed to move the genuine VW mud-flaps from old to new car and to move my front & rear Dash Cam to the new car. The deal was done.

A major point I will make here is that this newer model is a seriously great car and significantly better when compared to my 2014 GTI PP with DSG and most certainly far better than my December 2017 GTI DSG. First of all this newer model is noticeably quieter with no hollow droning and intruding cabin noise and no rattles from rear suspension as per my 2 previous models and a quieter engine/gearbox. Why this particular car is quieter, particularly from the rear end is unclear to me. The P zeros are not rated as the quietest tire and so I have discounted those as the reason. There is no bare metal to be seen in the area of the spare wheel, as was the case in the previous car but again I think this is irrelevant. So is the quietness down to the electrically operated shock absorbers - I just don't know, but whatever the reason, all I know is that I see no reason for additional sound-proofing or fitting of that harmonic damper. It could even be down to the 19" wheels and lower profile tires which I expected to give a harder ride, which is not the case in the normal DCC setting and is exceptionally comfortable in Comfort mode.

The other benefits of this newer 7.5.
7-speed DSG is really so smooth and quiet and offer greater flexibility in both normal and sport mode. The difference between a 6 & 7 speed is night and day. Frequently with a 6-speed I would find myself having to manually change down from 6 to 5 in normal mode, especially when going up slight gradients. It was also noisier with almost a tractor like sound in 6th gear when under a certain load.
The DCC is without doubt the must have as it gives an extremely comfortable ride in the comfort setting and for those who want a sportier feel then they have that option.

The SatNav offers additional and useful information in the infotainment screen so clearly they have worked on this. The headlights have a different beam pattern which gives far better illumination on dark country roads. The automatic headlamp dipping function works superbly well. There are of course various other changes or extras that I appreciate but the most significant improvement is in drivability.

In Conclusion - This model is superb in all respects. Unusually for me there is nothing that I can fault, nothing I can criticize about this model. It seems to me that VW made a significant improvement to the model in 2018.The difference between my previous two cars compared to the most recent model is night & day. For the first time in 8-years I now have my faith restored in the brand. All I can add to this post, that is if you have got this far, is advice and that is to only buy a 7.5 with a 7-speed DSG and with DCC if possible. The performance model is preferable of course.

Attachments

• 20220611_133227_resized_1.jpg
    20220611_133227_resized_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having written so much on the subject of "rolling log" noise that was all down to rear shock absorbers going back to 2014 plus excessive cabin noise resulting in the fitting of sound insulation, changing tire makes and the fitting of the subframe damper I now have complete satisfaction, after changing the car. www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

Earlier this June I took my 7.5 GTI for a service. The car was 4.5. years old with 22k on the clock. While at the dealer in Bath UK I discussed options of a replacement car. Sitting in the middle of the showroom amongst new cars was a really special looking 7.5 GTI and out of interest I asked the salesman about the car. He said it was really quite special and a rare vehicle. First off he told me about the extras, factory fitted sun-roof (not that important to me but its OK), it was the PP version, 7-speed DSG, leather upholstery, reversing camera, 19" wheels, Lane assist, Dynaudio, traffic sign recognition, keyless entry and stop/start button. Well this sounded interesting and then the bonus for me was DCC and that was something I had always wanted as at my age I require a bit more comfort.

major point I will make here is that this newer model is a seriously great car and significantly better when compared to my 2014 GTI PP with DSG and most certainly far better than my December 2017 GTI DSG. First of all this newer model is noticeably quieter with no hollow droning and intruding cabin noise and no rattles from rear suspension as per my 2 previous models and a quieter engine/gearbox. Why this particular car is quieter, particularly from the rear end is unclear to me. The P zeros are not rated as the quietest tire and so I have discounted those as the reason. There is no bare metal to be seen in the area of the spare wheel, as was the case in the previous car but again I think this is irrelevant. So is the quietness down to the electrically operated shock absorbers - I just don't know, but whatever the reason, all I know is that I see no reason for additional sound-proofing or fitting of that harmonic damper. It could even be down to the 19" wheels and lower profile tires which I expected to give a harder ride, which is not the case in the normal DCC setting and is exceptionally comfortable in Comfort mode.

In Conclusion - This model is superb in all respects. Unusually for me there is nothing that I can fault, nothing I can criticize about this model. It seems to me that VW made a significant improvement to the model in 2018.The difference between my previous two cars compared to the most recent model is night & day. For the first time in 8-years I now have my faith restored in the brand. All I can add to this post, that is if you have got this far, is advice and that is to only buy a 7.5 with a 7-speed DSG and with DCC if possible. The performance model is preferable of course.

Dampers are heavier & therefore will most likely exhibit totally different harmonic resonances, & therefore less resonance will be transmitted into the hollow rear subframe & through the subframe to body mounts & the damper top mounts..

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Did this mod today. There is a noticeable reduction in rumble from the rear at low speeds over rough-ish road. I wouldn’t say the car is “much quieter,” but it is improved. Super easy and inexpensive, so IMO it’s worth it, but don’t expect a big change. Thanks for the research and write up on this!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I’ll add this: Over 25-30mph, it’s basically tire noise and ultimately wind noise too that takes over. If you have quieter tires than me, you might notice more of an improvement 🤷‍♂️

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Honestly as much as I love my MK7, it had more problems than any other VAG car I had, from random noises to water leaks to whatnot.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I’ll add this: Over 25-30mph, it’s basically tire noise and ultimately wind noise too that takes over. If you have quieter tires than me, you might notice more of an improvement 🤷‍♂️
Its basically the low speed suspension rattles that it reduces....

The engineers at VAG made the rear subframe way back for the MK5...realised there was a noise problem...designed the harmonic damper....drilled two holes in the rear subframe....& then NOTHING....

Except that all the cars based on the MK5, MK6, & MK7 Golf with the independent multilink rear 2WD suspension have had the exact same subframe...with those exact two holes in it to mount the harmonic damper....

Bean counters got in the way until the MQB Audi A3 saloon was deemed "to noisy"..so they dusted off the old harmonic damper with its MK5 Golf part code "1K0", & sent it of to be mass produced & fitted to that car...

Muppets the lot of them!! (& apologies to the Muppets)

Unstoppable

Car(s)
Golf MK7.5 1.4 TSI

View attachment 253873View attachment 253874

The real bonus then came with the announcement that though the car was now 3.5 years old it only had completed 7,200 miles with one lady owner from Bristol. The car was immaculate inside and out and really looked brand-new. I took the car for a test run for about an hour over different road surfaces and instantly knew just how great this model is. The asking price was £28000 and they offered me exactly £20000 for mine. They agreed to move the genuine VW mud-flaps from old to new car and to move my front & rear Dash Cam to the new car. The deal was done.

A major point I will make here is that this newer model is a seriously great car and significantly better when compared to my 2014 GTI PP with DSG and most certainly far better than my December 2017 GTI DSG. First of all this newer model is noticeably quieter with no hollow droning and intruding cabin noise and no rattles from rear suspension as per my 2 previous models and a quieter engine/gearbox. Why this particular car is quieter, particularly from the rear end is unclear to me. The P zeros are not rated as the quietest tire and so I have discounted those as the reason. There is no bare metal to be seen in the area of the spare wheel, as was the case in the previous car but again I think this is irrelevant. So is the quietness down to the electrically operated shock absorbers - I just don't know, but whatever the reason, all I know is that I see no reason for additional sound-proofing or fitting of that harmonic damper. It could even be down to the 19" wheels and lower profile tires which I expected to give a harder ride, which is not the case in the normal DCC setting and is exceptionally comfortable in Comfort mode.

The other benefits of this newer 7.5.
7-speed DSG
is really so smooth and quiet and offer greater flexibility in both normal and sport mode. The difference between a 6 & 7 speed is night and day. Frequently with a 6-speed I would find myself having to manually change down from 6 to 5 in normal mode, especially when going up slight gradients. It was also noisier with almost a tractor like sound in 6th gear when under a certain load.
The DCC is without doubt the must have as it gives an extremely comfortable ride in the comfort setting and for those who want a sportier feel then they have that option.

The SatNav offers additional and useful information in the infotainment screen so clearly they have worked on this. The headlights have a different beam pattern which gives far better illumination on dark country roads. The automatic headlamp dipping function works superbly well. There are of course various other changes or extras that I appreciate but the most significant improvement is in drivability.

FB, I sincerely hope your new Golf brings you total satisfaction, after all your damper problems and free advice you deserve it.
I bought a 7.5 in May this year from Hadwins in Kendal Cumbria, it’s the 1.4 TSI SE NAV.
I confirm the 7 speed DSG is superb, even faultless, I love the car overall but I’m plagued by rattles from the rear suspension, the car has only done 12780 from new.
Im so fed up I’ve considered changing it, but I’ll take a big hit if I do after such a short period.
I don’t think I have the rolling log syndrome as such, just an annoying noise at low speeds over potholes and poor road surfaces, it completely spoils what is basically a very nice motor.
I might try the harmonic damper that golfdave suggests first.
Anyway enjoy the new motor mate.
S.

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
I just ordered one of these - excited to try it out based on this thread. Any thoughts on if it should be torqued down with a load on the suspension (ramps) or without (jackstands)? Or does it not matter either way?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I just ordered one of these - excited to try it out based on this thread. Any thoughts on if it should be torqued down with a load on the suspension (ramps) or without (jackstands)? Or does it not matter either way?
Shouldn't matter. You can easily get to it without even jacking up the car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate