GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There is one more small rattle in the front, right area of the car that I'm still hunting. Not sure if it is in the floor or dash.

"Crash/support" tube running along length in dash has wiring loom fixings..I noticed a few years ago one on the right side had popped out & allowed the whole main loom to flex causing noise over bumps.....a few cable ties wrapped in "Tessa" tape to protect the wires, & the loom was tied to the main crash bar....no noise now..

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
"Crash/support" tube running along length in dash has wiring loom fixings..I noticed a few years ago one on the right side had popped out & allowed the whole main loom to flex causing noise over bumps.....a few cable ties wrapped in "Tessa" tape to protect the wires, & the loom was tied to the main crash bar....no noise now..

I appreciate the tip. I'll look into it.

And thanks for all of your contributions to this community.

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
Where exactly? Do you mind posting photos?

I should have taken pictures while I was under there, but I started doing that aspect of the job as an afterthought. There weren't many locations I worked on.

On the right (passenger in the U.S.) side of the fuel tank, there were a couple of lines that could rattle against the tank. Probably return or evap system related. I put some foam between the lines and the tank.

Most of the aero under trays from golfdave's writeup mount quite solidly. However, the rear exhaust cover is a little flimsy. I put some foam on a corner and one of the upper surfaces to reduce flexing / vibration.

I have a Strafe Design rear diffuser on my GTI. When I bumped my exhaust system with my hand, there was a little vibration between the diffuser and the corners of my rear valence. I addressed that as well.

I ensured that all of my exhaust hangers were mounted correctly and that the rubber was in good shape. The rear brake lines are hung on wire clips. I made sure the lines were clipped all the way in, that the clips were bent closed to hold the lines and that the clips were bent up, away from the road and any debris / out of the airstream.

There were a couple other small spots, but every car is different. Jack your car up, crawl under and start knocking on things. Any rattles / interference quickly become apparent.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I have ordered the part from Bath Audi in the UK and will have it fitted by the 2nd week of March to my 7.5 GTI and I look forward to posting my assessment of this item. From what I have read here I am not really convinced that it will reduce the hollow/whining type noise that is evident from the rear of the vehicle across the speed range, but you never know until you try it so I will give it a go. I see one post says it reduced noise to a "low growl" so obviously he felt it had an effect on the exhaust noise! As the part is called a "balance weight" I don't really know what its actually meant to do. I can understand a balancing weight or damper fitted to something that rotates but fitting a lump of metal that adds a few pounds extra weight to the rear sub-frame, that is actually static, and expecting it to reduce noise has me baffled. So far even Audi have failed to tell me what the part was actually designed for, particularly as it was only fitted to one model, as far as I can see.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
thanks, i have this rattle that's seems to be right behind the AC controls behind the dash that drives me crazy... so ill check that out.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
As the part is called a "balance weight" I don't really know what its actually meant to do. I can understand a balancing weight or damper fitted to something that rotates but fitting a lump of metal that adds a few pounds extra weight to the rear sub-frame, that is actually static, and expecting it to reduce noise has me baffled. So far even Audi have failed to tell me what the part was actually designed for, particularly as it was only fitted to one model, as far as I can see.

Its a "Harmonic damper".....everything has a natural harmonic resonance..including humans! This is the sound or physical vibration frequency which the item will "resonate" & create more noise, which may be without our hearing range...adding a weight to the item increases its mass so that alters the point at which it creates auditable sound/vibration.

basically by adding the weight we are "tuning out" the frequency.....basic physics..

Last edited:

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Its a "Harmonic damper".....everything has a natural harmonic resonance..including humans! This is the sound or physical vibration frequency which the item will "resonate" & create more noise, which may be without our hearing range...adding a weight to the item increases its mass so that alters the point at which it creates auditable sound/vibration.

basically by adding the weight we are "tuning out" the frequency.....basic physics..
I am intrigued by this device and I am hoping I will benefit from fitting this when I get back to the UK next week. If it does cut out some of the sound that bothers both me and my wife I will be very happy. Can you tell me what is the weight of the item?
Cheers

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Can you tell me what is the weight of the item?
Cheers

No idea, didn't weigh it....from memory it felt like 1kg max....say 800g....

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I am intrigued by this device and I am hoping I will benefit from fitting this when I get back to the UK next week. If it does cut out some of the sound that bothers both me and my wife I will be very happy. Can you tell me what is the weight of the item?
Cheers

Regardless of its weight, It's more than just a dead weight. It is suspended by soft elastomeric bushings (bushes), so those play a role in the damping, as opposed to just increasing the solid mass of the resonant axle.

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Regardless of its weight, It's more than just a dead weight. It is suspended by soft elastomeric bushings (bushes), so those play a role in the damping, as opposed to just increasing the solid mass of the resonant axle.

I thought about this upgrade. Realized I did not get a Merc. I would love to see someone get a Db meter if it is measurable.

That being said, the vehicle does have some vibration on rougher roads. The DCC helps a bit. I just turn up the fender.

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Hi, are these available in UK?
Can't see anywhere on Google that comes up in UK with that part number. Or did you get direct from Audi Dave?
Thanks
Rob.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, are these available in UK?
Can't see anywhere on Google that comes up in UK with that part number. Or did you get direct from Audi Dave?
Thanks
Rob.

I just went to the parts dept at my local Audi dealers...

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Mine came in and I will be installing it today along with all the under body skid trays ?

IMG_20200325_102832_01.jpg
IMG_20200325_102832_02.jpg
IMG_20200325_102832_03.jpg
IMG_20200325_102832_04.jpg

Question for a friend who has a 2019 Golf R 6-speed w/ DCC. Would this damper also fit that model's rear suspension?

Last edited: