GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Over rough tarmac the car would have more resonance which has now been reduced by 3/4rs.

Installed the damper last night. This morning, I agree with the quoted statement. It’s not much but noticeable. I’ve also installed additional sound deadening material to my 2019 GTI. This mod was complimentary. But do realize that my road noise is not completely gone.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Installed the damper last night. This morning, I agree with the quoted statement. It’s not much but noticeable. I’ve also installed additional sound deadening material to my 2019 GTI. This mod was complimentary. But do realize that my road noise is not completely gone.

I'm in the same situation as you-- I had already sound-deadened and sound-insulated my entire trunk and under the rear seat, so that alone may have masked 75% of the noise transmitted by the axle. If it weren't for the extra deadening, the damper effect might be more noticeable by itself.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm in the same situation as you-- I had already sound-deadened and sound-insulated my entire trunk and under the rear seat, so that alone may have masked 75% of the noise transmitted by the axle. If it weren't for the extra deadening, the damper effect might be more noticeable by itself.

I'd probably agree....I have not done any additional sound deadening inside the bodyshell.....just the addition of all the extra undertrays reduces noise from turbulent air etc..so this could be counted as extra soundproofing (but I wouldn't really)

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Put mine in Friday. No difference observed on any road traveled over the weekend. Nothing at all perceptible.

This is why I said that the road noise isn’t gone. It affects the resonance. My experience with this mod along with the sound deadening is that the higher pitch sounds are muffled. So the noise that does leak into the cabin is lower pitch and not as annoying. I can comfortably have a conversation or hear an audio book if that makes a difference to anyone.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
installed mine a couple weeks ago. It made a difference to me. But my car is really stiff and I have sensitive ears so I notice everything in it

Same here..or hear!.....or not hear as the case may be!.....

To those who aren't quiet sure as to the reasons etc...BMW, Volvo, Kia etc make the same type of item for their cars, & I have put new web links to other articles I have recently found ...all in the research section at the front of this thread...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think a lot of people are expecting this little device to make their car Rolls Royce quiet. That's not what it's for.

As I mentioned in the start of this how to guide...a lot rests on the amount of metalwork in your bodyshell, & the spring stiffness..& also I recon the wheel weight...& that's all besides the rear damper/top mount interference problem..which causes a knocking sound...

My car has the most metal work to resonate, has factory sports suspension, & lighter aftermarket wheels...plus I drive a lot with the radio off...

So I hear stuff...& I like things to be "right".....

The rear suspension still makes noises over bumps, potholes etc, ..BUT these are more appropriate to the size of bump/pothole, speed of car etc..

Now there is no longer any "after" noise, resonances etc...so the sound is now "thud"...instead of "thump, rattle"...

Yes on rough surfaces I still get a low/quiet rattle as you can hear the suspension flexing over the ripples in the road...but again its "input=output".....& not sounding as if half the rear suspension is worn out!

_cruster

Ready to race!
I installed this last night, and had my usual 40 minute commute this morning. The difference is noticeable; I don't think it actually makes things much quieter, per se, but it changes the tone of the noise, dropping it down an octave or two to a low growl. As noted above, "not Rolls Royce quiet", but it is a nice change.

A few folks further up on this thread mentioned that they'd already done some other projects to lower noise in the back - can you share (or share links) what you did? My one complaint about the car is that it could be quieter.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the A3 rear damper over the weekend. I had also installed the full undertray set in the past.

I HATE rattles. While I was under the car, I thumped around on things to find where things might be vibrating against other surfaces and causing some noise. I installed some closed cell foam (so it wouldn't absorb water) on the corners of a few panels and where some brake / fuel lines touched surfaces. With those two additions, the car sounds TIGHT now. It has made a much larger difference than I expected. It actually has given me the impression that the suspension is more solid and responsive. I think that must be a psychological effect of not driving the car as hard in the past when things started to rattle.

There is one more small rattle in the front, right area of the car that I'm still hunting. Not sure if it is in the floor or dash.