GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the modified EVAP pipe on all EA211, 1.2lt & 1.4lt petrol engines

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 4
Vehicle used in this guide

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
All VAG (Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW) cars with the EA211, 4 cylinder, 1.2lt & 1.4lt petrol engines.

Introduction
Some people complain of a “beep” “beep” noise when driving at 50-60kph. Others complain of a faint droning noise. I have heard it faintly over the past 4yrs, & attributed it to a “purge pump” of some kind, basically the engine doing its thing. However, it turns out that the cause is a badly designed part, which acoustically enhances the natural sounds from the operation of the EVAP system!

Research
I first found out about this on the Skoda forum “Briskoda”. There were several threads started by people complaining about this strange noise, which Skoda dealers had attributed to the DSG, or stated “they all do that sir”. However, some owners had found out that the EVAP corrugated pipe which goes from the bulkhead connection near the coolant expansion tank, to the EVAP solenoid (N80), near the front left of the engine, is in fact the culprit. People have removed the pipe & blown through it, & it makes the exact noise they are complaining about. The EVAP system allows the engine to suck petrol vapours/fumes from the petrol tank, through the charcoal filter & into the air intake manifold or turbocharger. So every time the EVAP solenoid (N80) opens the air is sucked through this corrugated pipe, which causes the noise. The corrugations in the pipe cause the acoustic harmonics of the air rushing through the pipe to be amplified more than before!

Apparently VAG changed the part from a corrugated plastic hose to a standard smooth bore rubber hose like the small diameter ones used for the coolant expansion tank. The part on the Briskoda site was 04E 133 518 G, which according to my friendly parts dept., meant nothing. In fact they could find no TPI/TSB for any MK7 Golf for parts in this location regardless of part ID number! All they could find/confirm was that the whole section including the solenoid was part no. 04E 133 366 CT for my car, & that the corrugated section was part no 04E 133 518 E, & that these part numbers have been like that since the MK7 Golf started production!

So after loads more research I found out that the part no. 04E 133 518 E was correct for the new replacement rubber hose section for my car. So, I ordered it, & it turned out to be correct. The other part number 04E 133 518 G, the hose is the same, except that the connector end for the bulkhead end is a 90deg elbow fitting, where as mine is a straight/inline fitting.

Edit 2022:-
There was a TPI released on 1st April 2016, No. 2036393/6 for "Engine: high frequency whistling noise from front end/engine compartment at low engine load in 3rd gear at 50km/h". This is for "The noises are caused by the corrugated pipe of the activated carbon filter in the engine compartment", & involves replacing the existing pipe with a different one. Basically what this "How to guide" is about even though the fault noise is different & this TPI did not show up against my car & VIN number!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part 2 of 4
Parts required

VAG ETKA illustration for MK7 Golf/Engine/Intake system/1.2-1.4lt/No.133-000

Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.15:- 04E 133 518 E,
Rubber connecting hose, £34.93 (x1) (straight end, the one I fitted to my car)
Item No.15:- 04E 133 518 G, Rubber connecting hose, £??.?? (x1) (90deg elbow end)

You also need a new metal spring clip/clamp part number N 906 867 01, £1.44 (x1)

ETKA-evap-hose.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part 3 of 4
Fitting

Make certain the engine is off & cold! Then at the fitting near the bulkhead, press & hold the spring loaded white middle section tab in to undo the lock, whilst pulling the fitting off the pipe. Then unclip the pipe from the two "saddle brackets" that hold it in place. At the N80 solenoid end, the whole solenoid (grey & black plastic item) just unclips easily from the plastic clips that hold it in place, & the corrugated hose can be simply pulled off.

To fit the new hose, thread it into place & clip into the saddle brackets on the marked points on the pipe itself. Then push the bulkhead fitting into place & it should “click” fully in. For the N80 solenoid end, you need to place the metal clip over the rubber hose end & far enough up the hose so it clears the stub pipe on the N80 solenoid. (You will need to use lock pliers or similar to squeeze the tabs together to open the clip to be able to slide the clip up the hose). Now align the red central mark on the rubber hose with the long rib on the N80 solenoid & push the hose over the stub pipe to the end. Now use the lock pliers again to squeeze the clip tabs together & move the clip down & into the middle of the red marks. You need to have the “wings” of the clip facing so that they fit into the opening of the plastic clip which holds the EVAP N80 solenoid. Basically, as per the picture below.

EVAP pipe mod.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part 4 of 4
Results

Now enjoy much quieter motoring, & not thinking there is something wrong with the engine!

Conclusions

Again, yet another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG by NOT issuing a recall, NOT informing the dealers that they have redesigned the part, & NOT informing the owners of affected cars! All because they don’t want to give the replacement parts out for free. Unfortunately, because the “fault” is not detrimental to the safety, or operation of the vehicle, there is no obligation for VAG to replace the parts.

Last edited:

Pranav

Car(s)
MK 7 1.2 TSI Golf
Hi, do you know if any online dealer sells this hose+N80 Solenoid valve? Local dealer in NZ quoted me $380 and I am pretty sure I can find something cheaper but so far I had no luck finding it online!

Pranav

Car(s)
MK 7 1.2 TSI Golf
Yup that's right and that's why I thought there would be a cheaper option available now like aliexpress or ebay because $380 for a valve and couple of hoses is ridiculous!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yup that's right and that's why I thought there would be a cheaper option available now like aliexpress or ebay because $380 for a valve and couple of hoses is ridiculous!
Prices have only gone up especially because of Covid.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, do you know if any online dealer sells this hose+N80 Solenoid valve? Local dealer in NZ quoted me $380 and I am pretty sure I can find something cheaper but so far I had no luck finding it online!

Solenoid valve is expensive.........for this modification you don't need to replace the N80 valve, you use your existing one.

Pranav

Car(s)
MK 7 1.2 TSI Golf
Solenoid valve is expensive.........for this modification you don't need to replace the N80 valve, you use your existing one.
I need to replace my Solenoid valve anyway as its faulty. I checked with the local VW dealer and they have confirmed that the Solenoid Valve comes with the smooth rubber hose but I wasn't sure if I should spend $380 for it as I thought there will be some alternate options availbale. Now I understand that these valves are generally expensive and I will buy it from the dealer to replace it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I need to replace my Solenoid valve anyway as its faulty. I checked with the local VW dealer and they have confirmed that the Solenoid Valve comes with the smooth rubber hose but I wasn't sure if I should spend $380 for it as I thought there will be some alternate options availbale. Now I understand that these valves are generally expensive and I will buy it from the dealer to replace it.
Sometimes its best to get the parts from the dealers due to the warranty it should have against faulty manufacturing. Some of the cheap parts on the web are just that.... cheap!