GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you think the plastic riv-nuts will keep the covers on at high speed?

People have done track days with them fitted like this all ok....read my reply a few comments up on why VW fitted the metal fixings....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The mk8 covers do not fit on MK6/MK5 rear LCAs. The design is different

Strange......as I was on the understanding that the rubber stone chip guards originally for MK5 which fit in the same place & use the same fixing points, fit all from MK5 to MK8 rear multi-link lower arms... :unsure:

Unless they modified them for MQB platform (MK7) onwards..🤷‍♂️

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Today I fitted the Mk8 aero cover on a MK7 R.

A quick and easy job.
I just used 4 plastic riv-nut thingys on each and as others have said, they`re a nice and snug fit.
I don`t think they`ll be going anywhere.

Thanks to golfdave and all the other contributors to this thread.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Do someone people put the mk8 aero guard on the front of the vehicle? I am seeing people install it both ways. I can’t get it to fit with the mk5 silicone.

EDIT: I’m so dumb. I am just now realizing that you only choose one or the other. I bought both the mk5 and mk8 guards thinking they work together

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do someone people put the mk8 aero guard on the front of the vehicle? I am seeing people install it both ways. I can’t get it to fit with the mk5 silicone.

EDIT: I’m so dumb. I am just now realizing that you only choose one or the other. I bought both the mk5 and mk8 guards thinking they work together

Oh bugger...!!!!.... :ROFLMAO:

Its the two options...either the MK5 onwards "stone guards" (rubber)....

OR the MK8 "Aero guards" (plastic)...;)

NOT BOTH at the SAME TIME......🤭...If you want to do it thats fine.......knock yourself out & report back....🤷‍♂️

EDITED original posts to make it much clearer that its one set.....NOT both sets!!!

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Oh bugger...!!!!.... :ROFLMAO:

Its the two options...either the MK5 onwards "stone guards" (rubber)....

OR the MK8 "Aero guards" (plastic)...;)

NOT BOTH at the SAME TIME......🤭...If you want to do it thats fine.......knock yourself out & report back....🤷‍♂️

EDITED original posts to make it much clearer that its one set.....NOT both sets!!!

So funny. I attached the silicone to the front side of the trailing arm, thinking the mk8 aero guard went on the back side. I was going insane it couldn’t fit. Pulled it off and installed the mk8 aero guard instead.

Bummer, the mk5 part cost 4x as much as the mk8 part! Silly me

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So funny. I attached the silicone to the front side of the trailing arm, thinking the mk8 aero guard went on the back side. I was going insane it couldn’t fit. Pulled it off and installed the mk8 aero guard instead.

Bummer, the mk5 part cost 4x as much as the mk8 part! Silly me

Others have done the same, ordered both sets...

Originally when I wrote this is the MK8 didn't exist..only the MK5 rubber set which I did the guide for... I then re-wrote & added the MK8 set into the same guide...I tried to make clear its two options, obviously not clear enough!!

EEeegolf

Car(s)
E-Golf
Short report on these aero covers.
I just installed them both front and rear on my e-Golf. Front didn't fit well as reported. But they fit good enough anyway and wasn't hard.
I did a baseline noise test just before installing and a test with them about 30 minutes later. Some place. Same conditions.
The measurement had the same result as subjective listening. Absolutely no effect.

I also did a aerodynamic drag test before but I have to wait for less traffic (night) before testing with the covers.
My Cd value vas a bit high. I have to study whether the electic drivetrain has more drag than coasting in neutral with normal gearbox. However, the difference will be visible anyway.

Attachments

• Aerocover noise results.jpg
    Aerocover noise results.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 72