GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
I think as you say it depends on tyres..but also estate-vs-hatch bodyshell.....But the fact you weren't expecting much & have noticed a requirement for less throttle to maintain speed on gradients is proof of the aero dynamic advantages. Where I live is all twisty roads..some slow speed, many high speed..depending on the style of driving!!..;)...maybe that's why I notice the aero??...:unsure:...:ROFLMAO:

Yeah when I swapped to Pilot Sport 4S I immediately noticed a drastic reduction in road noise. Also I agree, this mod probably has a better benefit for wagon/estate owners due to more body post rear suspension. Although if anyone has a mod bug to itch and is on a tight budget, this is an easy one, took me about 15 mins to install and it’s cheap.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Okay so I finally got around to do the Mk8 covers. Apparently they come from factory on the latest NAR Tiguan too.

If I had to do it again, I would just use all plastic push rivets. I didn't want to spend extra $ on a rivet nut tool (and none were available either).

Sourcing metric fasteners here in stainless steel is very difficult unless you have a commercial account with one of the few fastener places here, and only then can you buy in bulk (e.g. 100pcs boxes).
I used M6 x 18mm stainless bolts (4 total), M6 stainless nuts (4 total), M6x18mmOD stainless fender washers (8 total), plus the 4 plastic push rivets as originally specified.

Also, install is difficult if you do it my way, no space to put your fingers in to screw in everything. Couldn't install it via ramps, had to jack up and remove the wheels.

Post install, have noticed the back of the car is a bit quieter than previously. Haven't checked long distance fuel consumption just yet.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Okay so I finally got around to do the Mk8 covers. Apparently they come from factory on the latest NAR Tiguan too.

If I had to do it again, I would just use all plastic push rivets. I didn't want to spend extra $ on a rivet nut tool (and none were available either).

Post install, have noticed the back of the car is a bit quieter than previously. Haven't checked long distance fuel consumption just yet.

I'm glad you also noticed noise reduction also!....I reckon as the GSW has more body after the rear axle that it benefits the most from all the rear covers..

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Dave, this is really interesting... If I'm reading this right, are you saying the front guards do very little other than protect the car from damage if taken on rough road whereas the rear ones improve fuel economy?!

If so, I might dodge the front but am definitely curious about the rear ones!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, this is really interesting... If I'm reading this right, are you saying the front guards do very little other than protect the car from damage if taken on rough road whereas the rear ones improve fuel economy?!

If so, I might dodge the front but am definitely curious about the rear ones!

No..all the guards/covers provide better aero to both the hatch & estate..that's why the very eco versions (1lt Bluemotion etc) have them......just that the estate due to being longer than the hatch after the rear axle benefits more from the rear mods......

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
No..all the guards/covers provide better aero to both the hatch & estate..that's why the very eco versions (1lt Bluemotion etc) have them......just that the estate due to being longer than the hatch after the rear axle benefits more from the rear mods......
Got you.

OK, next project after the MIB upgrade identified! An extra MPG will do wonders for me when I drive back down the road to Brighton from ABZ later this year...

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
I'm glad you also noticed noise reduction also!....I reckon as the GSW has more body after the rear axle that it benefits the most from all the rear covers..

I noticed interestingly that the covers create more or less a streamlined bottom from the rear suspension arms and then over the underside of the rear mufflers and then out the back of the car. The NAR 4Motion GSW has dual mufflers that seemingly fill a pretty big voided area.

slimlou

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4Mo 6MT
I finally got around to get these installed (well not me, but the techs at work, when they did my oil change). First impressions, I’m glad I installed these! I noticed that I didn’t notice these. Let me explain. Driving home that evening after they were installed, something didn’t seem right when I was driving. I tend to know what road I’m driving on by the road noise. But it seemed quieter. I soon remembered I had the MK8 aero covers Installed, and yup, they did what other’s said, reduced road noise!!! I can’t confirm the fuel savings claim because as it stays lighter out longer, the force of gravity on my right foots increases...

Thanks to golfdave and all others who helped to bring this simple but effective modification possible!

Oh yeah, for all others reading this, I live in Canada, and I ordered these through e-acca.com. Less than two week turnaround from Latvia. And for the record, I went with installing these with just the plastic clips. My techs said they are solid.

Attachments

• E4AE42F4-0394-4A28-BC98-13718CC83260.jpeg
    E4AE42F4-0394-4A28-BC98-13718CC83260.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 498
  • A151EAB7-089E-4420-8554-25A71639F283.jpeg
    A151EAB7-089E-4420-8554-25A71639F283.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 449
  • A073051A-3DF2-466F-889C-D76FBF3D2296.jpeg
    A073051A-3DF2-466F-889C-D76FBF3D2296.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 428
  • 28066026-6412-4B34-8DC6-EB18FCABED4E.jpeg
    28066026-6412-4B34-8DC6-EB18FCABED4E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 446

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Just done mine too. Took all of 5 mins per side to install (just used the push in plastic rivet nuts as mentioned).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Had a question about the front lower control arm covers from the Mk8 @golfdave, would these fit the Mk7 Golf/Octavia 3 front lower control arms?

Thanks!
Yes & no...maybe...depends on the lower arm shape as there are two slightly different shapes used on the Mk7 Golf & Mk3 Octavia....some people have tried & I think the info is in the main "aero undertrays" thread...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not sure if this been noted before but I just got a 2021 r line Tiguan and These come on there from factory also like the mk8 golfs .
They seem to be fitting them to everything that shares the same rear lower arms.....I think VW watch my threads!!... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

GTI230

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTI PP 2016
I've been going through your guides and enjoyed reading them even if not all apply to my model.
So when it came to this mod I naturally decided to get the parts and give it a go. In my eagerness to get going and skimmed through the intro and jotted down the part numbers. My decision was further reinforced by the photo which is confusingly annotated as front and rear of car.
What I had in my head was that the rubber guards go on the front whereas aero guards install on the rear. Now having read the article a few times it's clear it's either/or not and. Whilst the blame is all mine I'd argue keeping the rubber guards in the same post is redundant as no one in their right mind should install them over the aero guards. Just my two cents

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've been going through your guides and enjoyed reading them even if not all apply to my model.
So when it came to this mod I naturally decided to get the parts and give it a go. In my eagerness to get going and skimmed through the intro and jotted down the part numbers. My decision was further reinforced by the photo which is confusingly annotated as front and rear of car.
What I had in my head was that the rubber guards go on the front whereas aero guards install on the rear. Now having read the article a few times it's clear it's either/or not and. Whilst the blame is all mine I'd argue keeping the rubber guards in the same post is redundant as no one in their right mind should install them over the aero guards. Just my two cents

Some people require the stone guards due to rough roading whereas the aero covers will rip off if you reverse over a high rock etc due to them sticking out the back of the arm.

You got confused.....the photo title clearly states:- "multilink rear suspension lower arm covers" & the ETKA drawing is only of the rear suspension arm & shows the rubber stone covers only....

The terms "front/rear/left/right" in the photo were to orientate the arm covers visually, & in no way imply that the rubber arm covers are for the front suspension & the aero are for the rear.