GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If you have not fitted these covers..DO IT!!!!..best MPG gains for the cost & ease of fitting!!

Having just done the same trip in the same weather & load conditions as previously mentioned, I now got 50.5MPG (UK)!!!! The traffic conditions were slightly different, but I would normally expect to get 46.4MPG to a max of 48MPG in these traffic conditions.

That's at least a 2.5MPG gain & possibly a 4.1MPG gain!!, which is a 5.2% to 8.62% gain!!

These types of aero covers have been used by VAG & other manufactures on high performance & "Eco" cars for many years as they smooth the air flow which is very turbulent around the rear lower arms on multilink suspension. VW should have designed/used these from the beginning on the MK5/6/7 Golfs to get better MPG instead of rigging the software that ended up in the "Diesel-gate" scandal. To make these covers & fit to every VW car would have been far cheaper than the software fix, buy-back schemes, legal actions etc., etc....!!..

Yet again penny pinching bean counters ignoring basic aerodynamic engineering!!!...IDIOTS!!....

IRONICK

(y)
aer.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The above picture is totally misleading regarding the aerodynamic advantages of the MK8 aero covers, as the amount gained is far less that the above picture implies. Please stop trolling my "How to guides" by placing misleading & irrelevant info in them.

You joined this forum on the 2nd May 2019 & have so far posted 15 times, 14 of which are in my "How to guides" & all since the 16th August 2020.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Dear golfdave,

Please, you are bringing me back to eacca every time you have a discovery. LOL

Scott

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
Ordered the mk8 aero blades. Will report back with my thoughts once they are here. Through ECS tuning it was $43.51 total for the blades and all hardware, didn't even bother looking at eacca for that price. Thanks again Dave for spending more of my money🙄

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
They were $8.70 each on ecs, the hardware was definitely a chunk more on ecs, .70 is worth having it here by next week, I've had eacca stuff take over a month

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Mine have arrived at the dealer, but they won't take responsibility for installing Mk8 parts on a Mk7 Golf. :cautious:
I don't have a garage or floor jack and stands, so I'll need to find a place that is willing to help. I've also got the harmonic damper on the way to the Audi dealer, so we'll get it all done in one go and report back.

We are taking a long drive this weekend (prior to installation) that includes some motorway with very fresh, smooth pavement, so I'll try to get some objective sound readings at a steady speed using a dB meter app on my phone placed on the backseat. I'll repeat it again on the same stretch at the same speed a future trip after having installed everything.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mine have arrived at the dealer, but they won't take responsibility for installing Mk8 parts on a Mk7 Golf. :cautious:
I don't have a garage or floor jack and stands, so I'll need to find a place that is willing to help. I've also got the harmonic damper on the way to the Audi dealer, so we'll get it all done in one go and report back.

We are taking a long drive this weekend (prior to installation) that includes some motorway with very fresh, smooth pavement, so I'll try to get some objective sound readings at a steady speed using a dB meter app on my phone placed on the backseat. I'll repeat it again on the same stretch at the same speed a future trip after having installed everything.

Find a good independent garage.....the MK8 also uses the MK7 stone covers as the metal arm is the same & has been since MK5....so MK8 aero covers fit....idiots...

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I installed these on my 19 GTI the other night. I can hear a difference in wind noise on the highway. Sounds a bit quieter from the rear of the car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I can hear a difference in wind noise on the highway. Sounds a bit quieter from the rear of the car.

Or was it no passengers???...:unsure::sick::censored:

Seriously......glad I wasn't the only one who noticed a slight reduction in noise from the rear suspension area.:cool:

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Or was it no passengers???...:unsure::sick::censored:

Seriously......glad I wasn't the only one who noticed a slight reduction in noise from the rear suspension area.:cool:
It makes sense when you think about it. A little bit less drag typically means less noise. I used the plastic rivets when installing the guards, and they've held up at 140mph so far.