GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Rear lower wishbone Mk8 aero covers or Mk5/6/7/8 stone guards

Vehicle used in this guide:-

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to:-
All VW Mk7 Golf’s with the multilink rear suspension. (also applicable to all MK5/6/8 Golfs & MQB platform VAG cars with the same suspension)

Introduction:-
Ever looked under the rear of the car & thought “those wishbones arms will get a beating from stones etc”? Guess what, so did VW, & they made a part for the job!

Research:-
In Germany you can factory order the option of PR code 1SK “Additional engine and transmission guard and underbody stone guard”. The guards are the 1SL “Underbody stone guard” component of the full kit. These fit on the front facing side of the lower rear wishbone & take the stonechips/impacts, & help prevent stones from getting down into the hollow of the spring seat. This option was also available on previous Golfs, under the PR code 2UB “Rough road design”.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Research update June 2020
The MK5/6/7 stone guards cover the front & half the underside of the rear lower main are/wishbone on the multilink suspension. The New MK8 "splash guards" cover the same area, plus the whole underside & extend further rearwards to providing a trailing edge. This for the air passing under the arm to merge better with thee air behind the arm, lessening the amount of turbulence. VAG previously tried a similar engineering principal but using a trim piece on front of the trailing arm on the MK5 Golf, & Audi TT, but it had a tendency to be knocked off easily!

MK8 Golf & Tiguan MQB platform ETKA drawings & Info:

ETKA for the MK8 still shows the exact same drawing as below, but with the additional new MK8 Golf/Tiguan "Splash guards" listed at the side.

The original MK5/6/7 Stone chip guards
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 533A
, Stone chip guard left, black rubber (5.2mm thick)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 534A, Stone chip guard right, black rubber
still have the following PR codes:-
1SK = "Additional engine & transmission guard & underbody stone guard"
1SL = "Underbody stone guard"

The new MK8 "Splash guard" (Aero cover)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 733
, MK8 aero splash guard left, black plastic (2.25mm thick)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 734, MK8 aero splash guard right, black plastic
have the following PR codes:-
1SA = "Without additional front underbody guard"
1SB = "Additional front underbody guard"

My thoughts on the different PR codes:- as the aero splash guards extend behind the lower arms, that if you are on rocky trails & are reversing, the rear end could get caught & bend & catch on a rock etc..

The MK8 lower arm has 5Q0-505-523-A stamped on it, which is the arm used on the VW Passat B8, & Skoda Superb. I think this arm is slightly longer giving as these cars have a wider wheel base across the rear axle.

I attach a photo comparing the MK5/6/7/8 Stone Guards to the MK8 Aero Splash Guards:-

P8141031-annotated-reduced.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Parts required:-

VAG ETKA illustration for VW Golf Mk7/Rear Axle/No.511-002 to -007,
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £

Golf MK5/6/7/8, Stone guards:-
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 533A
, Stone chip guard left, black rubber, £26.92 (x1)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 534A, Stone chip guard right, black rubber, £26.92 (x1)

Golf MK8/Tiguan, Aero covers (splash guards):-
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 733
, MK8 aero cover (splash guard) left, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 734, MK8 aero cover (splash guard) right, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)

All require:-
Item No.23:- N 909 203 01
, Rivet nut M6, £1.63 (x4)
Item No.24:- N 911 335 01, Hex head bolt M6x18mm with washer, £0.96 (x4)
Item No.25:- 8E0 825 267, Plastic spreader rivet, £0.24 (x4)

EDIT:-
If you do not have a rivet nut installation tool, ignore Items No.23 & 24, & just order another 4 of the plastic spreader rivet (Item No.25.) making a total of 8 quantity of Item No.25 to purchase. Forum member "Reggie Enchilada" has used this on his car & done 140mph with no problems!

ETKA-rear-wishbone-stone-guard-cover.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Fitting:-
This applies to both versions.
Jack up & support the whole rear of the car, or do one side at a time. Remove the wheel on the side you are doing to improve access. Because the wishbones are the same item, (but just reversed for one side) it is easy to get these rubber stone guards fitted to the wrong wishbone! I suggest you start on the passenger side UK (drivers side NAR) as this wishbone has the levelling sensor for the DCC & headlights etc. Make certain it fits around the levelling sensor bracket & that the four holes (two top, two bottom) in the stone guard align with the same holes on the wishbone.

Now if you are fitting it using all the VW parts as listed then you require a rivet gun which will do M6 rivet “nuts”. These (Item No.23) are required to be riveted into place in the correct holes in the bottom part of the wishbone. This allows the bolts (Item No.24) to then bolt through the guard into the rivet-nut & hold the guard in place. Once you have fitted the rivet-nuts, re-fit the rubber guard & fit the bolts (Item No.24), torque spec of 8Nm (5.9lbft), & use some medium strength thread loc (blue). Then push the plastic spreader rivets (Item No.25) through the two holes in the guard, into the corresponding holes in the wishbone, & then gently tap/push the central stem fully in/flush. The guard should be secure & feel firm.

When fitting the plastic "Aero covers" don't torque the bolts up to 8Nm (6lbft) as I recon you will split the plastic. I just put some blue Loctite (medium strength) & did the bolts up "snug/firm", & make certain you centre the hole in the plastic around the rivet-nut flange when you tighten up the bolts.

Further considerations on fitting:-
Due to a mix up (brain fart) on my part I initially installed the metal rivet nuts in the top of the wishbone & the plastic push rivets in the bottom of the wishbone (opposite to the correct way). The plastic push rivets (Item No.25) held for 2yrs all ok, no problems. The only reason I can see for having metal fixings in the bottom part is to stop the covers being totally ripped off by driving over a large stone, e.g. on an off road track. So if you do not have access to a rivet gun that can do nuts, then I suggest you order a further x4 of Item No.25 (total of x8), & fit the covers using these only!

Or if you wish to use the metal fixings correctly in the lower holes, you could source from eBay etc., stainless steel M6 rivet nuts, bolts & washers for a more corrosion resistant finish!

Rear-stone-guard-mod.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Results:-
The MK5/6/7 "Stone Guard":- It basically protects the front facing part of the rear lower wishbones from all impact damage by stones kicked up by the tyres. The car looks more “finished” now, i.e. as it should have left the factory! It is worthwhile as part of a “rough road package”, but not for aerodynamics, as I doubt it has any advantages!
The MK8 Aero Guard:- This provides complete coverage of the underside of the arm compared to above, & also provides for less air turbulence due to a longer rear trailing edge!

Conclusions:-
Here in the UK (& other countries) we cannot order the German factory option of 1SK “Additional engine and transmission guard and underbody stone guard”. Our UK cars come from the same German factory, so why not offer the same options? Market demand is the answer, well at least this allows you to add the option back onto the car!!

MK8 aero Covers update August 2020:-
Having done a nice 32mile trip on roads I know well I note the following:-
1. on quiet sections of tarmac with little tyre noise, these aero covers have decreased (about 10-20%) the wind noise coming from the rear seats area.
2. the rear of the car generally feels more "squat/flat" & stable.
3. on a nice mid speed (30-40mph) off-camber left turn I know, the rear inside wheel has more grip & feels more in contact with the road.
4. MPG on the trip was 46.1MPG...& 2MPG (UK) more than I would usually get, allowing 1MPG for other factors...even if its just a 1MPG actual gain that's a 2.17% change for the better in MPG...

Further update 22nd August:-
Having just done the same trip in the same weather & load conditions as above I now got 50.5MPG (UK)!! The traffic conditions were slightly different, but I would normally expect to get 46.4MPG to a max of 48MPG in these traffic conditions.

That's at least a 2.5MPG gain & possibly a 4.1MPG gain!!, which is a 5.2% to 8.62% gain!!

These types of aero covers have been used by VAG & other manufactures on high performance & "Eco" cars for many years as they smooth the air flow which is very turbulent around the rear lower arms on multilink suspension. VW should have designed/used these from the beginning on the MK5/6/7 Golfs to get better MPG instead of rigging the software that ended up in the "Diesel-gate" scandal. To make these covers & fit to every VW car would have been far cheaper than the software fix, buy-back schemes, legal actions etc., etc....!!..

Yet again penny pinching bean counters ignoring basic aerodynamic engineering!!!...IDIOTS!!....

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
I've moved this out of the big thread on aero undertrays & skid trays as that thread will be tidied up & there or mods from the MK8 which might use different stones guards & might fit our cars..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Finally got around to fitting the MK8 Golf "aero guards"...

These fit the same way the stone guards fit, just don't torque the bolts up to 8Nm (6lbft) as I recon you will split the plastic...I just put some blue Loctite (medium strength) & did the bolts up "snug/firm"..make certain you centre the hole in the plastic around the rivet-nut flange when you tighten up the bolts.

These aero covers are 2.25mm plastic compared to 5.2mm thick rubber of the stone guards, but they go rearwards & are way more aerodynamic.

Having done a nice 32mile trip on roads I know well I note the following:-

1. on quiet sections of tarmac with little tyre noise, these aero covers have decreased (about 10-20%) the wind noise coming from the rear seats area.

2. the rear of the car generally feels more "squat/flat" & stable.

3. on a nice mid speed (30-40mph) off-camber left turn I know, the rear inside wheel has more grip & feels more in contact with the road.

4. MPG on the trip was 46.1MPG...& 2MPG (UK) more than I would usually get, allowing 1MPG for other factors...even if its just a 1MPG actual gain that's a 2.17% change for the better in MPG...

Again these types of covers are made & used on many other sports cars etc so the benefits & aerodynamics are well proven..just that VAG have always built stuff down to penny pinching....now they have no choice & have had to make aero covers for the MK8....which will retro-fit all multilink VAG cars which use the MK5/MK6/MK7/MK8 Golf rear suspension....

Faceman

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Have the parts, will hopefully install them soon. Thanks!

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
This is the first I have seen of the stone guards / splash guards and has come at a good time as I'm about to order various underbody panels from the excellent aero thread. Very comprehensive write-up and thanks for your time and making my wallet, initially, lighter.

So I understand correctly, the stone guards have been removed in favour of the aero/splash guards?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
So I understand correctly, the stone guards have been removed in favour of the aero/splash guards?
Yep..I wrote the thread originally (5yrs ago) on the stone guards as part of the much bigger "aero trays" how to guide......& then when the MK8 Golf came out this year I notice the new aero covers....which is what I just fitted after removing the stone guards......I haven't re-written the thread yet as the fitment is the same..but I hope to post photos up later.

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
Thanks, it would be great to see a comparison over the stone guards.

If there is a a 10 to 20% reduction in noise then it's well worth doing. These cars are quite noisy inside at speed.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Are there same type of new stone guard in Mk8 for torsion beam rear axles too?
Yes there are MK7 parts to cover the MK7 torsion beam near the spring seats..also MK8 Golf/Polo part to cover the main cross piece section of the MK7 beam..

from the main aero trays how to guide I did:-

Rear lower arm stone guard/aerodynamic trim for Twist-Beam Rear Suspension.

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-var...hock-absorber/
Item No. 17:- 5Q0 501 559 "C" or "D", Stone chip guard for under side of trailing arm left side.
Item No. 17:- 5Q0 501 560 "C" or "D", Stone chip guard for underside of trailing right side.
Item No. 18:- 5Q0 501 561, Stone chip guard for top side of trailing arm left side.
Item No. 18:- 5Q0 501 562, Stone chip guard for top side of trailing arm right side.
Item No. ??:- 8E0 825 257, 8mm spreader rivet. Unknown quantity required.

These items I have not actually seen or fitted, but they appear on ETKA for the MK7 Golf with the Twist-beam rear suspension, so should fit & cover the trailing arm part of the rear twist beam.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks, it would be great to see a comparison over the stone guards.

If there is a a 10 to 20% reduction in noise then it's well worth doing. These cars are quite noisy inside at speed.
Pictures done above in edited early post....

I notice a reducing in noise on quiet tarmac so no tyre noise...the fact that sat in the front I notice less noise from the rear means it has to be 10% minimum reduction...20% is maybe an overestimate on my part..but it gives you a range..

Also I have the estate which has a bigger void where the rear suspension is as the spare wheel well is more rearward & after the suspension. The hatch has less of a void as the spare wheel well sits on top of the rear suspension..