GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front subframe cover from the VW Tiguan (2016->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Same full-length non-vented tray as my Atlas...
VAG are fitting more full length aero trays to their cars...I think they've been following what I've been doing....🤭

Shame they didn't listen to their aero designers years ago & instead decided to use cheat software...which ended up costing them way more in the long run & it would have been cheaper to fit full undertrays to every car they built...!!..idiots!!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
VAG are fitting more full length aero trays to their cars...I think they've been following what I've been doing....🤭

Shame they didn't listen to their aero designers years ago & instead decided to use cheat software...which ended up costing them way more in the long run & it would have been cheaper to fit full undertrays to every car they built...!!..idiots!!
I *think* my Atlas has the aluminum subframe (I'll check next time I change the oil) and so that long belly pan won't fit my wagon...it's not vented though and that's important to me like my full-length Jetta shield. Seems the subframe cover is a bit of a PITA to install and do it correctly from reading through this.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

I've basically flat-bottomed mine at this point lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion

I'm just missing the cover for the gas tank area, which I have.
So with the R, no issues on the gas tank covers etc.? The subframe cover looks good. I see you did the front LCA covers as well with the brake ducts! I have Superpro LCAs so not sure how that would work.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So with the R, no issues on the gas tank covers etc.? The subframe cover looks good. I see you did the front LCA covers as well with the brake ducts! I have Superpro LCAs so not sure how that would work.
I haven't gotten around to installing it. I need to modify it to fit with the Verus rear diffuser. I have no issues at the moment.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I was able to do this on my GSW and R yesterday. First effort on the R took 2 hours, second time took less than 30 minutes. Thank you for this and all of your other write-ups @golfdave. I'm now officially out of aero mods to do on the underside of my car.

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
apologies in advance, I re-read the entire thread a few times but either I'm stupid or English as a second language or something. So just to confirm, on a stock mk 7.5 Golf R (steel subframe with the thin plastic aero tray), there are three holes that need to be drilled into the subframe as per the my way instructions correct? Meaning no plug and play, no perfect fit?. Thanks and sorry again!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
apologies in advance, I re-read the entire thread a few times but either I'm stupid or English as a second language or something. So just to confirm, on a stock mk 7.5 Golf R (steel subframe with the thin plastic aero tray), there are three holes that need to be drilled into the subframe as per the my way instructions correct? Meaning no plug and play, no perfect fit?. Thanks and sorry again!

You only need to read the first few posts by me as thats all the info....

You only drill one new hole...& thats the centre rear hole under the steering rack motor....

The other four holes are existing...

.....& all five holes you put rivet-nuts into...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Evidence that you do get heat exhaust out the bottom in more extreme use cases. My car has the full-length (vented) splash shield (Jetta) and short tunner cover. I think I'm going to do the subframe cover as my next project.

A93A6765.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok...got this one done. A little different than golfdave's setup. The small grey push fasteners w/foam are worthless and I didn't want to do a bunch of nutcerts so I just found these push-style auto fasteners at the hardware store, VERY sturdy/tight. I also rigged a nut-cert inserter tool based some YouTube videos I saw, worked fine - a M8 bolt, 2 washers, and a spacer nut, counter-hold spacer nut with a wrench and hit the main bolt with an impact gun. So at this point I have all the aero I can have (that I know of at least) for the awd MQB/MK7.

20240207_192145.jpg
20240209_135605.jpg
20240209_114842.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-09 141911.png
20240209_140422.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok...got this one done. A little different than golfdave's setup. The small grey push fasteners w/foam are worthless and I didn't want to do a bunch of nutcerts so I just found these push-style auto fasteners at the hardware store, VERY sturdy/tight. I also rigged a nut-cert inserter tool based some YouTube videos I saw, worked fine - a M8 bolt, 2 washers, and a spacer nut, counter-hold spacer nut with a wrench and hit the main bolt with an impact gun. So at this point I have all the aero I can have (that I know of at least) for the awd MQB/MK7.

View attachment 299149View attachment 299147View attachment 299148View attachment 299145View attachment 299146

The Man did good!... ;)

Next it'll be the rear strut brace...:LOL:.....

I've just completed the ECS (top bar only)....& its not as easy as they say (for us estates)...& both the ECS & VWRacingline rear braces have design flaws!....

I'll do a write up soon, hopefully, but if you need info just ask!...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Man did good!... ;)

Next it'll be the rear strut brace...:LOL:.....

I've just completed the ECS (top bar only)....& its not as easy as they say (for us estates)...& both the ECS & VWRacingline rear braces have design flaws!....

I'll do a write up soon, hopefully, but if you need info just ask!...
Drilling the center hole beneath the PS rack was scary, I was v. careful and it still punched through a little too fast...gulp...didn't damage anything.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Drilling the center hole beneath the PS rack was scary, I was v. careful and it still punched through a little too fast...gulp...didn't damage anything.

Block of wood (thin) behind helped..& yes it was still scary!...