GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front subframe cover from the VW Tiguan (2016->)

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
I've also heard that, I'm been thinking about putting a temperature probe down there to test how hot it gets. I will say that after driving to the light and getting it up in the air it was just luke warm to the touch and not at all hot on the hand.
I'd love to see the numbers if you do end up doing that. 👍

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Looks great! I've been wanting to get that ECS Tunnel Shield, but I heard that putting a full size exhaust shield like that leads to the interior getting warm around the driveshaft tunnel. If it's not too much of a bother could you update us here if you notice any heat build up?
If you have a second cat or not would probably have an influence on this as well. The tunnel on my C5 Vette would get warm, too. Then once I added long tubes, it didn't heat up as much.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
If you have a second cat or not would probably have an influence on this as well. The tunnel on my C5 Vette would get warm, too. Then once I added long tubes, it didn't heat up as much.
I was under the impression that these cars only had 1 cat.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There was a post on a forum member who made up hid own full exhaust tunnel shield for his GSW I think...& yes he removed it as the tunnel (inside cabin) got warm on a long drive...

I think it depends on the exhaust boxes in the tunnel...the cats on the petrol cars are in the engine bay & there are two...as its close-coupled..I'll have to find the posts...

EDIT...

Forum member "CLDuckworth1"....read from this page....

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf | Page 13 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I was under the impression that these cars only had 1 cat.
Euro version of the 1.8/2.0 may only have one.

Aftermarket downpipes only have one, but its position may be in the engine bay or underneath, it depends on the manufacturer.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Update:- I looked again at the need for "spacer" washers, between the tray & the subframe. The four outer bolt positions do require the spacer washers to get the tray to sit right without placing any force/twist into the tray. However, the bolt in the middle, nearest the dog bone mount bush/steering rack, is better without the spacer washer as it pulls the tray closer to the subframe! This now requiring a shorter 16mm bolt, to avoid hitting the steering rack! I have amended the parts list above, & have included more accurate descriptions of the bolts/washers that I used in the parts list.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is this similar to the undertray on the 8Y A3? Saw a review earlier and you can't even see the subframe now.
I don't know which version you are talking about. the Audi cabriolets get a full huge tray which goes from the front bumper to the REAR of the front subframe...usually made of metal with some plastic. The MQB platform gets a reinforced or thin aero full tray from the front bumper to the FRONT of the front subframe. This leaving the front subframe exposed..this Tiguan tray covers it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

2:10 or so. 8Y a3 sedan

Sorry brain fart....

That's the MK8 front "aero" cover.....basically a full cover like the older cabriolet covers..so from front bumper to rear of front subframe. Thin plastic like the standard "half cover". Can be fitted to the MK7 (needs some screw holes drilling but they are marked) replaces the thin plastic diesel "noise insulation" aero cover & the Tiguan subframe cover if retro-fitted...one very big piece...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Sorry brain fart....

That's the MK8 front "aero" cover.....basically a full cover like the older cabriolet covers..so from front bumper to rear of front subframe. Thin plastic like the standard "half cover". Can be fitted to the MK7 (needs some screw holes drilling but they are marked) replaces the thin plastic diesel "noise insulation" aero cover & the Tiguan subframe cover if retro-fitted...one very big piece...
Do you have the p/n for that? Couldn't find it in the other aero tray thread.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you have the p/n for that? Couldn't find it in the other aero tray thread.

The part number I have is 5WA-825-236-C or D.

However the MK8 Golf this is from has the Audi aluminium front subframe. This has different fittings for the rear two fixings than what I did to my steel subframe. Basically there are two aluminium tubes, into which a plastic "rawl plug" fits & then there are two plastic turn keys which lock the tray into place. This cannot be used on the pressed steel VW subframe....This is one of the reasons I haven't really posted the info up....also this part number has NO ducts for gearbox/engine cooling. Now there might be newer parts with cooling ducts etc.., which I don't know about.

Three photos, showing the fixings, the upper left black plastic are the rear ones I'm talking about, & showing the aluminium "tube" on the subframe.

These images were given to me by another forum member when the MK8 first came out in the EU.

MK8 front tray fixings.jpg
MK8 front tray rear fixing.jpg

MK8 front tray.jpg

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I have an aluminum subframe so this is helpful info. I will have to see if I can dig up info on the hardware or the tray on the 8Y S3/RS3, I suspect the A3 is considered "non-performance" and so they don't bother with the ducting. Odd since I'm using an 8v A3 tray specifically because it has ducting, goes back to the subframe, and doesn't have extra weight.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The part number I have is 5WA-825-236-C or D.

However the MK8 Golf this is from has the Audi aluminium front subframe. This has different fittings for the rear two fixings than what I did to my steel subframe. Basically there are two aluminium tubes, into which a plastic "rawl plug" fits & then there are two plastic turn keys which lock the tray into place. This cannot be used on the pressed steel VW subframe....This is one of the reasons I haven't really posted the info up....also this part number has NO ducts for gearbox/engine cooling. Now there might be newer parts with cooling ducts etc.., which I don't know about.

Three photos, showing the fixings, the upper left black plastic are the rear ones I'm talking about, & showing the aluminium "tube" on the subframe.

These images were given to me by another forum member when the MK8 first came out in the EU.

View attachment 234716View attachment 234717

View attachment 234718
Same full-length non-vented tray as my Atlas...

Last edited: