GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->)

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
This blows my mind. So clean, you run ducts and hoses straight on to hottest part of the brake
Screenshot_20200107-004049_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200107-004043_Chrome.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I will mention that when I recently upgraded my rotors to 312s from 288s, I did check my RS3 ducts to ensure that the new carriers didn't move things away enough to cause interference with the ducts...I can report I did not need any additional trimming. Win!

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Some here said the 340mm pp brakes DO and DO NOT need trim..can anyone confirm whose right?

Would love to just zip tie them in place and go about my way.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Some here said the 340mm pp brakes DO and DO NOT need trim..can anyone confirm whose right?

It requires trimming for two reasons generally speaking.

One reason is for it to attach to the wishbone as the legs are made for the Audi wishbone which has a slightly different shape. Now some MK7 Golfs are fitted with this newer shape wishbone, usually the CS, CCS, TCR & some later GTI PP & "R" models as the wishbone has a stiffer rear bush. This will be obvious when you try to fit it to the wishbone as either the legs will clip in place straight away or a few will be pushed upwards like in the picture.

Second reason is that the brakes on the Golf are all single piston so have more on the rear side of the brake disc...this is what can interfere at full lock & even on big 340mm brakes with suspension droop. Some R are fine & require no trimming.

The only way to tell is to do the mod. This mod is NOT a "zip tie them in place and go about my way" as these items are NOT made for our car & NOT a straight fit.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

In my situation with Supaloy LCA I had to do some trimming but not a lot.
Mainly the small tabs on the back side that hang down. I just had to trim them off flat.
Strap points all lines up then and I did not have to trim any on the deflector face at all.
Good small mod, still holding strong.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
In my situation with Supaloy LCA I had to do some trimming but not a lot.
Mainly the small tabs on the back side that hang down. I just had to trim them off flat.
Strap points all lines up then and I did not have to trim any on the deflector face at all.
Good small mod, still holding strong.
Same situation with Whiteline arms, and I assume anything other than the stock stamped steel arms. The rear tabs won't go over the arm so you either have to cut them flat.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Same situation with Whiteline arms, and I assume anything other than the stock stamped steel arms. The rear tabs won't go over the arm so you either have to cut them flat.

I have stock steel arms & had to cut the legs....the Clubsport & TRC & some of the later GTIPP & R get the same steel arms as the Audi..these arms are slightly differently shaped & have the more solid rear bush...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have stock steel arms & had to cut the legs....the Clubsport & TRC & some of the later GTIPP & R get the same steel arms as the Audi..these arms are slightly differently shaped & have the more solid rear bush...
I think you have to cut just one back leg on steel arms, with the alloy arms you have to cut all of them. The arm is physically deeper so none of the rear tabs will snap over like on the steel arms.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think you have to cut just one back leg on steel arms, with the alloy arms you have to cut all of them. The arm is physically deeper so none of the rear tabs will snap over like on the steel arms.

Two legs out of the six have to be cut on the standard VW arms..I should know I wrote this thread...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Two legs out of the six have to be cut on the standard VW arms..I should know I wrote this thread...
Okay, two arms on steel arms, but the post above me was referencing Supaloy, and mine was referencing Whiteline. The aftermarket alloy arms are deeper and all of the rear arms/tabs need to be removed in that case.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
I have 340 brakes. The cooling ducts require trimming. At full lock (wheel all the way to the left or right) the caliper and the duct clash.
could you outline how much you cut out? I want to cut the least amount as possible.