GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->)

DAS_STIG

Banned
Yeah that's definitely the 340mm brakes.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I installed the ducts yesterday. Very straight forward. Here are a couple photos taken before trimming the cableties or trimming for caliper clearance. At full lock with suspension hanging the caliper just touched the upper corner of the duct. I little trim and they cleared. Thanks to golfdave for the instructions and photos. Excellent effort.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Put mine on my R today:

They popped right on - all of the little tabs locked right onto where they should - no trimming was needed.
That's because yours are a different shape to mine...mine is more flat on top, yours it more 3D ...just look at the big hole..etc...my arms part no. end in "J" yours do not...looks like "R" on the sticker in the picture...obviously VW have altered the wishbone slightly...as it more resembles the shape/3D of the alu Audi one...:cool:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
That's because yours are a different shape to mine...mine is more flat on top, yours it more 3D ...just look at the big hole..etc...my arms part no. end in "J" yours do not...looks like "R" on the sticker in the picture...obviously VW have altered the wishbone slightly...as it more resembles the shape/3D of the alu Audi one...:cool:

I was simply making the comment that the R does not appear to need anything trimmed.

Last edited:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
What year is your Golf R?

I test fitted the brake ducts on my 2015 Golf R and it appears that some trimming will be required.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm going to try to pull the wheels on Monday if it doesn't rain and take a closer look. When I installed them yesterday, everything seemed to clear fine but I didnt spend too much time with it as I had to get the car back together so I could pick the kids up from school.

What exactly were you seeing that made you think they would need trimmed so I can specifically check on mine..?

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
Installed mine today. I am going to say this much - there is absolutely no real world need to trim the ducts even with the 312mm brakes. The only situation when the caliper hits the duct is full suspension extension and full lock. If you're ever in that driving situation you're doing something extremely wrong.

Otherwise, super easy/cheap mod and you can clearly see how it would direct air right at the front caliper.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Put mine on. Trimmed top 3/4 inch per advice. Love them no issues

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Installed mine today. I am going to say this much - there is absolutely no real world need to trim the ducts even with the 312mm brakes. The only situation when the caliper hits the duct is full suspension extension and full lock. If you're ever in that driving situation you're doing something extremely wrong.

My Quote & reasons for this from earlier in the thread:-

"""I am more concerned because if you have an inspection etc. (in UK we have MOT each year for cars over 3yrs old) & they see a cable tied part to the wishbones (alarm bells may ring) with the car in the air on a two post lift (so wheels at full drop), & that the brake callipers hit the this duct which stops you from getting full steering lock....FAIL!! """

:cool:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Pics on Supaloy.

Comparing this picture to one posted a good bit above, mine is mounted farther from wheel. I guess the reason it clears brakes. On the Supaloy arm there is only one spot it fits so easy to locate.

Picture to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
My Quote & reasons for this from earlier in the thread:-

"""I am more concerned because if you have an inspection etc. (in UK we have MOT each year for cars over 3yrs old) & they see a cable tied part to the wishbones (alarm bells may ring) with the car in the air on a two post lift (so wheels at full drop), & that the brake callipers hit the this duct which stops you from getting full steering lock....FAIL!! """

:cool:

Yup, just pointing out that under regular or even track driving it won't hit in case anyone is worried about that.