GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the door exit warning lights from the VW Passat (2013->)

grantw

Thanks to golfdave for putting this guide together, Kevinm and all the contributors to this thread.
With the help of this thread I've just installed these door puddle lights to my R. I bought them off of EBay, they're about £6 delivered for the pair.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323341941835
The supplied cable is too short so I just made an extension and spurred in to connectors 5 earth and 16 power as per the instructions above.
I've had a 2018 Mini Cooper for the past few months and I liked the projected Mini logo, so thought I'd fit these.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I installed the door warning lights thanks to Golfdave's excellent writeup. I also did the rears, using the door switch ground wire and the constant 12V supplied to the window motor. Not OEM, but I replaced the needed pins with new crimps to include the door light wires, and Tesa tape wrapped my loom, so it's as OEM as it can get given the limitations of no door controllers. I also re-pinned the front door ground wire with a new pin terminal, so no wire splicing for the fronts, either.

Pgosain

Hi guys,

I know this thread is a bit old but I actually have a question maybe some of you can help with. I recently bought a 2017 Clubsport Gti edition 40 and I don't have the red led ambient light on the door trim and sills.

What I do have is a "faux" carbon fiber look on that same door trim.

I was looking at a retrofit kit from Kufatec https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/vo...ills-vw-golf-7 and I was wondering if you guys would know whether or not this installation would require to take off the carbon fiber trim and replace it with the black trim you can see on Kufatec's website.

I really like that carbon fiber trim and I only want to get the door's brushed aluminum trim to light up red if that makes sense.

Would appreciate any feedback or comment.

Thanks.
Patrick

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi guys,

I know this thread is a bit old but I actually have a question maybe some of you can help with. I recently bought a 2017 Clubsport Gti edition 40 and I don't have the red led ambient light on the door trim and sills.

What I do have is a "faux" carbon fiber look on that same door trim.

I was looking at a retrofit kit from Kufatec https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/vo...ills-vw-golf-7 and I was wondering if you guys would know whether or not this installation would require to take off the carbon fiber trim and replace it with the black trim you can see on Kufatec's website.

I really like that carbon fiber trim and I only want to get the door's brushed aluminum trim to light up red if that makes sense.

Would appreciate any feedback or comment.

Thanks.
Patrick

This thread may be old, but its a "how to guide" to retro fit the door exit lights which was written in the first post..the rest is just comments...

You would be better off placing your question in the electronics section or the general section...

To my knowledge the LED has a light guide which is part of the trim...I think people have swapped them over on other cars, but it involves dismantling the trim & LED light guide...

:cool:

venigo

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I have succesfully aplied this mod on the front door. On the rear doors I have some strange behaviour (Golf MK7.5). 1 rear door (driver back door), the exit light reacts at the warn blinkers when opening/close instead of the interior light..

Does someone have any idea how this can be fixed? Do I need to look up into an adaption channel of the bcm maybe?

Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi all,

I have succesfully aplied this mod on the front door. On the rear doors I have some strange behaviour (Golf MK7.5). 1 rear door (driver back door), the exit light reacts at the warn blinkers when opening/close instead of the interior light..

Does someone have any idea how this can be fixed? Do I need to look up into an adaption channel of the bcm maybe?

Thanks.

No idea from me...:confused:....if the wiring you did is 100% correct it could be in the BCM...but I haven't a clue as to what would cause it....or correct it in the BCM...

venigo

Passed Driver's Ed
No idea from me...:confused:....if the wiring you did is 100% correct it could be in the BCM...but I haven't a clue as to what would cause it....or correct it in the BCM...

Found the issue. Counted wrong, I wired to pin 2 on the doormodule instead of 5 (its mirrored). Now all is working.

Thank you for the write up :).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Found the issue. Counted wrong, I wired to pin 2 on the doormodule instead of 5 (its mirrored). Now all is working.

Thank you for the write up :).

haha...brain fart it is then!!….:D

glad you got it all working in the end!!:cool:

Followed this guide for 2 Golfs and everything went decently :) Issues I did encounter:

- Retrofit wires were too short from AliExpress
- Door cards were tough to pull off (had my dad yank them off)
- Wires going to door card are hard to take off alone, easier with 2 people
- Wiretap on 2nd car ground wire didnt work, panicked, and managed to tap into a different ground wire

Been 2 weeks and seems like both cars are fine! Awesome writeup, very easy to follow for a novice like me :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Followed this guide for 2 Golfs and everything went decently :) Issues I did encounter:

- Retrofit wires were too short from AliExpress
- Door cards were tough to pull off (had my dad yank them off)
- Wires going to door card are hard to take off alone, easier with 2 people
- Wiretap on 2nd car ground wire didnt work, panicked, and managed to tap into a different ground wire

Been 2 weeks and seems like both cars are fine! Awesome writeup, very easy to follow for a novice like me :)

Glad you got it done in the end...:cool:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
This is the second time I install this mod on an MK7, but have a question. Last time I did this mod was in 2016 and I'm having a brain fart.

On my 2019 Golf GTI (NAR spec) there is already a wire in 16. To be clear, I have to tap into that wire in addition to the ground wire?

20200318_105827.jpg
20200318_105734.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Your car might have illuminated door entry plates???...Or they have changed the wiring pin outs??

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
This is the second time I install this mod on an MK7, but have a question. Last time I did this mod was in 2016 and I'm having a brain fart.

On my 2019 Golf GTI (NAR spec) there is already a wire in 16. To be clear, I have to tap into that wire in addition to the ground wire?

You should be fine. You probably have ambient lighting with illuminated door sills. You still splice into pin 16 for +12V (Purple/blue) and pin 5 for ground (brown).

In my car without ambient lighting, pin 16 was empty.

Eliranfla

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I would like to thank everyone who contributes and helps those in need, with phenomenal tips and guidance. I am available for those who want some help too. Light configurations that I have already managed to make successfully and that is working perfectly like the original:

# Front_Field_Light = External courtesy light under the external mirror (illuminates the floor) - positive on pin 1 and negative on pin 3 of the 16-pin connector. (successfully installed).

# Door_Exit_Light = turn on the light when opening the door (lights the floor so as not to put your foot in a "puddle" when leaving the car) - positive on pin 16 and negative on pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (successfully installed)

# Inside_Door_Handle_Light = Lights on the door handles - positive pin 3 and negative pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (Did not work) .

# Ambiente_Light = LED strips on door panels and door sill - positive on pin 8 and negative on pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (Did not work).

Guys, I would like help to successfully install Inside_Door_Handle_Light and Ambiente_Light. I already activated the long coding in the 5F module but the two lights did not work. What is missing to code correctly? Thank you very much

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Guys, I would like to thank everyone who contributes and helps those in need, with phenomenal tips and guidance. I am available for those who want some help too. Light configurations that I have already managed to make successfully and that is working perfectly like the original:

# Front_Field_Light = External courtesy light under the external mirror (illuminates the floor) - positive on pin 1 and negative on pin 3 of the 16-pin connector. (successfully installed).

# Door_Exit_Light = turn on the light when opening the door (lights the floor so as not to put your foot in a "puddle" when leaving the car) - positive on pin 16 and negative on pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (successfully installed)

# Inside_Door_Handle_Light = Lights on the door handles - positive pin 3 and negative pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (Did not work) .

# Ambiente_Light = LED strips on door panels and door sill - positive on pin 8 and negative on pin 5 of the 32-pin connector. (Did not work).

Guys, I would like help to successfully install Inside_Door_Handle_Light and Ambiente_Light. I already activated the long coding in the 5F module but the two lights did not work. What is missing to code correctly? Thank you very much

This is getting off topic please start another thread if you want to offer your services...

also the lights that did not work, if you installed the lights, have you fitted the "high" gateway module to the doors??...as there are different "levels" of door modules..