GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 98RON fuel sticker.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 1

Warning
EU/UK 95RON Unleaded petrol = USA 85-86MON or 90-91AKI
EU/UK 98RON Super Unleaded petrol = USA 89-90MON or 93-94AKI

Vehicle used in this guide
UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
Any VAG (Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW) car with the same original 1K0 0101 644 P, 95RON fuel sticker.

Introduction
I only use 98RON fuel in my car as its better for the engine compared to our (in EU/UK) basic 95RON, however, I have had the car remapped specifically to 98RON to make full use of the fuels properties. Therefore removing the now incorrect sticker & fitting the correct one is a good idea, just in case the car gets sold on, or someone else is filling the car for me!

Research
I looked on ETKA which came up with no images of stickers (it never does) & the descriptions came up with several applicable versions! So I posted on a UK MK7 Golf forum asking for the part numbers on the stickers for owners of the GTI/R/CCS, which have these stickers from the factory.

Parts required
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item:- 1K0 010 350 S,
Sticker, £3.95 (x1)

Fitting
First you have to remove the old sticker. I used a sharp blade to just lift a corner (top right & carefully), which enables you to then get your finger under & peel the sticker off. Do this slowly as the sticker might break otherwise! Now use a “tar remover” on a cloth to remove the old sticker adhesive from the black plastic. Then I used a cloth with water/car shampoo on to remove the residue of the tar remover. Finally, dry & then I used panel wipe (or meths) to make 100% certain the area where the sticker will be is clean of all contaminants.

You will notice that there are two thin alignment ridges moulded into the plastic where the sticker sits. One is a short vertical & the other is a long horizontal, these correspond to the left side & bottom edges of the sticker. The sticker backing paper has two sections remove the left section (when looking at sticker from front). Place the left edge against (not over) the left alignment ridge, whilst making certain the bottom edge of the sticker will align with the bottom ridge.

To get good alignment & removal of all air bubbles, its best to gently tap the sticker into place on the left edge, then work gently from the middle of the left side down the middle of the sticker towards the middle of the right side, removing the right side backing paper also. Then once you are happy with the position, press firmly from the middle of the sticker towards the outside edges to remove the air bubbles. I used a plastic trim removal tool blade wrapped in a clean microfiber cloth.

Take your time with the alignment as these stickers have extra strong adhesive which makes removal of the sticker impossible without damaging the sticker/adhesive if you get it wrong!

Results
Fitted better than factory & now correct for the cars remapped ECU!

Conclusions
Now the car is as it could & should have left the factory!

98RON fuel flap sticker.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I think this is the most effort I've ever seen for a write up on how to change a sticker. Bravo!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think this is the most effort I've ever seen for a write up on how to change a sticker. Bravo!

"The devil is in the detail"...............:cool:

Did you see my one on changing the screenwash tank cap???......;)

Last edited:
Reactions: q74

Elwood

3-7-77
I need one for the US market. Nice write-up, as always.

I also need a the door jamb sticker for a Golf with 17" wheels. Golf's here came with 15s or 16s.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I need one for the US market. Nice write-up, as always.

I don't think yours are in EU/UK RON from the factory........most likely USA MON.....which is different.....I'll have to dig around to try to find the NAR equivalent of a super unleaded 98RON sticker....

EDIT:- info added on EU/UK to USA conversion of RON to MON

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I don't think yours are in EU/UK RON from the factory........most likely USA MON.....which is different.....I'll have to dig around to try to find the NAR equivalent of a super unleaded 98RON sticker....

EDIT:- info added on EU/UK to USA conversion of RON to MON
FYI NA uses AKI and that is RON+MON/2 so 91AKI=95RON and 93AKI=98RON as ratings go not in reality. 😄

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FYI NA uses AKI and that is RON+MON/2 so 91AKI=95RON and 93AKI=98RON as ratings go not in reality. 😄

I know...I just picked one of the many "standards" that they use over there as an example.

I'll go back & add the AKI.... ;) ...