GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Then all you need to buy is pads, discs, & the brackets (carriers)..

no need to buy callipers or splash shields...as you have done...

...just reuse your old callipers & splash shields.
As uncle dave claims see proof picture as I did exactly as the guide claims.

no need to buy callipers or splash shield. Thanks for making such a good guide!

Attachments

• C664CE2A-5B33-4D4E-A05D-3FF03116844C.jpeg
    C664CE2A-5B33-4D4E-A05D-3FF03116844C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 279

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I just upgraded the brakes on my 2015 GTI for track days and will have a set of non PP calipers/rotors/dust shields (front and rear) available if anyone is interested in upgrading your golf. Just PM me.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just upgraded the brakes on my 2015 GTI for track days and will have a set of non PP calipers/rotors/dust shields (front and rear) available if anyone is interested in upgrade your golf. Just PM me.
These will sell like hotcakes - if you are on the FB groups, that's where I'd post it.

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hmm, just wonder, if the 16inch wheel steel/alloy rim will fit whit 312mm retrofit?

People are using 16inch with the 312mm discs...I know there is room around my 17inch wheels & 312mm brakes..

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Ok. I just popped the caliper off and measured it. I have a 2018 NA Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion (MK7.5). The piston measures 57mm. The caliper has "57" on the casting. The caliper also has a "15". The calipers I bought to get the 312mm carriers were from an Alltrack. The Alltrack calipers have 57mm pistons and say "57" on the casting. These however have the "16" on them. I conclude that the current Golf wagons have 57mm pistons and all say "57" on them which means 57mm pistons. The 15 or 16 on the casting *may* indicate the stock rotor size with 15 = 288 and 16 = 312 and is dependent on the model but doesn't indicate 55mm vs. 57mm pistons.
The 15 and 16 refer to the minimum wheel diameter.

So pleased to have found this thread and looking forward to upgrading my brakes. A big thanks to @golfdave and others!

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Has anyone noticed a decrease in acceleration performance when going from 288 to 312 mm discs ?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Has anyone noticed a decrease in acceleration performance when going from 288 to 312 mm discs ?
No. I have hundreds of launches, 0-60s, and 1/4 miles using Dragy and there is no difference before/after. It's a v. minor weight difference and of course you will see that variation in just how much gas you have you in your tank.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

no...but I removed 2kg of wheel weight per corner...& then added back 1kg per corner with the increase of disc size.....so still down 1kg..plus its closer to the axle is disc than the wheel weight.....

I suggest if you really are worried about weights then look at the specs of different brands because they can vary quiet a bit even for the same size/fitment, due to the materials used & amount of internal vanes.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I suggest if you really are worried about weights then look at the specs of different brands because they can vary quiet a bit even for the same size/fitment, due to the materials used & amount of internal vanes.

I know, the lightest I've found at reasonable prices are from Brembo, at 7.3 kg for 288mm and 8.6 kg for 312 mm discs. ATE Powerdisc seem to be close as well.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I know, the lightest I've found at reasonable prices are from Brembo, at 7.3 kg for 288mm and 8.6 kg for 312 mm discs. ATE Powerdisc seem to be close as well.

This is from my first few posts in this thread:-

Discs:-
TRW plain OEM 288mm = 7.45kg each
TRW plain OEM 312mm = 8.75kg each
ATE power discs 312mm = 8.25kg each
Brembo Max 312mm = 8.6kg each