GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
2016 yr Passat has the same aluminium GTI knuckle....looking at the parts list cross applications...so in theory it should fit even though the part number for the bracket is different..
Thanks for the quick reply

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
dang, I have a 2016 gsw fwd, how do I verify I don’t fuck it up?

I just wanted to give an update on this 312mm rotor upgrade.

It's been approximately ~1 year since Ive done this upgrade, but I have noticed that about ~2cm on the outer edge on the 312mm rotor is extra shiny.

I have investigated this in more detail tonight by taking everything apart and noticed my factory caliper part #5QM615123 (55mm diameter piston) is not evenly positioned over the brake pad. The caliper piston circumference sits right at the outer edge of the brake pad.

This means there is more pressure applied on the outer edge of the 312mm rotor than on the inner edge. Having removed and inspected the brake pads, I could clearly see the outer section of the pad being worn more than the inner section.

I wish I had noticed the position of the piston over the brake pad when I originally did the upgrade. Unfortunately now I have to waste more $$$ on new rotors, pads and (calipers part #8V0615123D which have 57mm diameter pistons) so it will be a balanced fit over the brake pads.

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
2016 yr Passat has the same aluminium GTI knuckle....looking at the parts list cross applications...so in theory it should fit even though the part number for the bracket is different..
Thanks for this thread golfdave, going to your grade to 312s in my gsw fwd Is38!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
dang, I have a 2016 gsw fwd, how do I verify I don’t fuck it up?

Easy... look at the calliper, on the inside rear face, facing the knuckle it will have stamped either 57 or 55...

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
update:

Carolco

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone and happy new year.

I want to update the brakes of my golf 1.4 Tsi from 2018 here in Tenerife. Little help around here on these issues. If I understand correctly, should I buy the two 312mm discs, pads, calipers and something else?

Would this set be okay?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/143618167490

Am I missing something else? I say this because the Ebay provider tells me that to have a professional installation I also need to change this ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143669799301?ViewItem=&item=143669799301

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143669794081?ViewItem=&item=143669794081

If so, can you tell me with a reference?

Are I missing screws, washers, or other accessories?

Thank you very much for your help.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello everyone and happy new year.

I want to update the brakes of my golf 1.4 Tsi from 2018 here in Tenerife. Little help around here on these issues. If I understand correctly, should I buy the two 312mm discs, pads, calipers and something else?

Would this set be okay?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/143618167490

Am I missing something else? I say this because the Ebay provider tells me that to have a professional installation I also need to change this ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143669799301?ViewItem=&item=143669799301

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143669794081?ViewItem=&item=143669794081

If so, can you tell me with a reference?

Are I missing screws, washers, or other accessories?

Thank you very much for your help.

Go read the first few posts on the first page of this thread all info there.....

You do not need to buy those ebay aluminium knuckles as you would need to also buy new dampers as those require the 55mm diameter dampers.....you can has iron knuckles & 50mm dampers...

First thing you must do is look at the calliper on your front wheels, & especially the side of the calliper by the piston facing the inside...it should have "57" moulded on the calliper, if not then you need a new calliper.

If it says 57, then all you need are the left & right calliper carrier brackets, a pair of 312mm discs, & a new set of pads...pads should come with new bolts for the calliper to carrier. Reuse your old carrier to knuckle bolts...

Carolco

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your answer Golfdave

I finally bought this game.

I think I will encode bytes 04 (hexadecimal value 34 or 50) and 17 (hexadecimal value Al or 0A) of brake module 03.

Attachments

• 1AFA0E3A-FA9F-42A2-B7F1-FF1C220A65D4.jpeg
    1AFA0E3A-FA9F-42A2-B7F1-FF1C220A65D4.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Finaly i buyed this set.

I think that I will codificate the bytes 04 (hex value 50) and 17 (hex value 0A) of 03 brakes module.

So you looked and your car callipers have 55 stamped on them??...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Upgraded to 312 rotors but went with the prodigywerks four piston caliper. Figured it wasn’t too much more than the carriers and pads. View attachment 198563
Very cool! Did you need new brake lines? Which model caliper did you go with?

tigeo

Autocross Champion

I finally bought this game.

I think I will encode bytes 04 (hexadecimal value 34 or 50) and 17 (hexadecimal value Al or 0A) of brake module 03.
I was not able to change these using OBDEleven - wouldn't let me. Are you able to? I take it you are using VCDS?

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Very cool! Did you need new brake lines? Which model caliper did you go with?
The cr4 for the 312 rotor. I’m a tdi so it’s never gonna be fast and figured this was more brake than I’ll ever need plus saves some wheel weight over a 330 or bigger. I ordered their lines as it was an extra 50$ and I’m lazy. (Turns out stock brake line bolt wouldn’t work anyway, different threads) They’re much lighter than the stock calipers, I have no scale but it seemed the whole unit weight about as much as the stock carrier.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Then all you need to buy is pads, discs, & the brackets (carriers)..

no need to buy callipers or splash shields...as you have done...

...just reuse your old callipers & splash shields.