GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
In for answers since I am planning on doing this mod soon???

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
golfdave - did you change your coding in your brake control module to refect the change from 288mm to 312mm brakes? I found this:

Byte 4 in the brake control module should read 24 for vehicles with 288mm brakes and 34 for vehicles with 312mm brakes. To get there, you have to check bit 4 in addition to bits 2 and 5.

Not I use OBDEleven but VCDS of course will be the same.

In for answers too. If so, do I need to change any coding after upgrading from non-PP GTI brakes to PP?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave - did you change your coding in your brake control module to refect the change from 288mm to 312mm brakes? I found this:

Byte 4 in the brake control module should read 24 for vehicles with 288mm brakes and 34 for vehicles with 312mm brakes. To get there, you have to check bit 4 in addition to bits 2 and 5.

Not I use OBDEleven but VCDS of course will be the same.

GODD FIND!!

Never even knew that existed?......interesting..mind you mine is a 2014/2015 build so may not have this...

..I have VCDS (unlimited VIN) & will be trying this out in the next couple of days as I have centre console apart for the DG superpin...& by removing the EPB & CC units I have loads of fault codes to clear..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VCDS says NO..

Nothing written in VCDS..so manually changed the bit from 24 (288mm) to 34 (312mm)...then VCDS threw a stupid "this module appears to be un-initialised" message, used stock importer coding & then it threw it all out saying "out of range".....bugger..

module all ok & back to previous ok...

Elwood

3-7-77
VCDS says NO..

Nothing written in VCDS..so manually changed the bit from 24 (288mm) to 34 (312mm)...then VCDS threw a stupid "this module appears to be un-initialised" message, used stock importer coding & then it threw it all out saying "out of range".....bugger..

Same in my 2017 US market 1.8.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
All cleaned up and ready...used 312s off an Alltrack. Now to figure out rotors/pads.

Attachments

• 20191124_154831.jpg
    20191124_154831.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 228

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All cleaned up and ready...used 312s off an Alltrack. Now to figure out rotors/pads.

I hope you remember which pin /slider is top as there are two different pins...on is all metal & the other has a plastic bush at the end...& use TRW grease on the sliders..NOTHING else..

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I hope you remember which pin /slider is top as there are two different pins...on is all metal & the other has a plastic bush at the end...& use TRW grease on the sliders..NOTHING else..

Yes, noted that they were different when I was messing with them. I'll look at the ones I take off and figure it out based on that. I used some Ford brake caliper silicone grease I had on the pins, I'm sure it will be fine.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
while I am retrofitting the whole DCC system, I decided to upgrade the brakes as well, since I hear DCC calling for 312mm rotors from the factory. my calipers are numbered 57.

I bought two BDA1180 at a nice price in Germany. just painted them red and swapped the pins on the "right" one.
I also got Brembo rotors and brake pads.

will install within a few days...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
while I am retrofitting the whole DCC system, I decided to upgrade the brakes as well, since I hear DCC calling for 312mm rotors from the factory. my calipers are numbered 57.

I bought two BDA1180 at a nice price in Germany. just painted them red and swapped the pins on the "right" one.
I also got Brembo rotors and brake pads.

will install within a few days...

Done it exactly how it should be for DCC....(y).& made best use of buying 2x of the cheaper carrier side & swapping the pins around...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Complete. Ordered the Stoptech slotted rotors and EBC Redstuff pad kit from shopdap. $330. Carriers were sourced from a used set of Alltrack calipers I picked up for $120. I replaced the pin bolts. I didn't have a torque wrench that went low enough for the pin bolts so those are "tight enough", carrier bolts are 200nM. Easy job...took about 1.5 hours not hurrying. Will be a few weeks before pads are bedded according to EBCs instructions. Will sell the 288 brakes and make some of my money back.

Attachments

• 20191220_203951.jpg
    20191220_203951.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 232

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm a dumb@ss...forgot to measure my pistons when I had it all apart. My calipers have "57" on them but re-reading this made my paranoid...did the whole 55/57mm issue in the U.S. for the 2017-2018 GSW 4Mo get sorted? I believe if I have interpreted it correctly I have 57s...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm a dumb@ss...forgot to measure my pistons when I had it all apart. My calipers have "57" on them but re-reading this made my paranoid...did the whole 55/57mm issue in the U.S. for the 2017-2018 GSW 4Mo get sorted? I believe if I have interpreted it correctly I have 57s...

Still not 100% certain....best to actually see what is written on the calipers...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Still not 100% certain....best to actually see what is written on the calipers...
Mine say 57 - is that what you are referring to? My concern was it appeared back a few pages that some calipers marked "57" had 55mm pistons...that is what I was asking, has that been sorted or were you referring to the others codes printed the calipers? Really pissed I didn't throw some calipers on my pistons when they were hanging there!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
VCDS says NO..

Me too - won't let me change it using OBDEleven on my 2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion.