GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
For those doing the 288mm to 312mm rotor and caliper mount swap, I’m assuming you need to buy the caliper mount bolts for the 312mm and cannot re-use your existing ones?

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
You can re-use them. Mounting bracket bolts should have loctite on them, too.

Thanks, any idea why the caliper mount bolts for the 288mm brakes have a different part number than the 312mm?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks, any idea why the caliper mount bolts for the 288mm brakes have a different part number than the 312mm?

First page second post down by me...

Item No. 4:- N91 084 901, Hex head bolt (M14x55mm) for cast alloy hub
Item No. 4:- N90 948 802, Hex head bolt (M14x35mm) for cast iron hub,

the aluminum hub carrier is thicker where the bolts holes are to achieve the same strength as the cast iron version...:cool:

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, anyone know which hub the 2017 SW 4Motion has?

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
If I’m not changing the hub, do I need different size bolts?

I guess what I’m asking is are different size caliper mount bolts needed for the 312mm upgrade?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If I’m not changing the hub, do I need different size bolts?

I guess what I’m asking is are different size caliper mount bolts needed for the 312mm upgrade?

NO.....as the calliper bracket regardless if for 312mm or 288mm discs ..the thickness around the holes is the same...

so if you are just swapping the caliper carrier and /or caliper you retain your existing bolts...

its only if you swap the hub carrier from cast iron to alloy that you swap the bolts...

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks guys. Can’t wait to do this mod. Scored some used calipers/mounts/pads on eBay for $70 shipped (both sides).

If I install these used calipers which already have mounts and pads will I get a brake pad warning light?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Awesome, thanks guys. Can’t wait to do this mod. Scored some used calipers/mounts/pads on eBay for $70 shipped (both sides).

If I install these used calipers which already have mounts and pads will I get a brake pad warning light?

if the pad warning light wire on the used pads is worn.yes you will..thats how it works....

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Did this upgrade two weeks ago. The brakes feel exactly the same as before. No better, no worse. Even the pedal feel is virtually the same. These brakes work way better in my TTRS. I wonder if it’s because that car is so much lighter than my wagon or if it’s because of the different master cylinder?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Did this upgrade two weeks ago. The brakes feel exactly the same as before. No better, no worse. Even the pedal feel is virtually the same. These brakes work way better in my TTRS. I wonder if it’s because that car is so much lighter than my wagon or if it’s because of the different master cylinder?

Very strange...:confused:...

…..the 288mm setup & master cylinder is the same as the 312mm GTI/GTD setup only difference is the carrier & the disc ….& I felt a much more linear response afterwards as the 288mm setup was grabby...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Very strange...:confused:...

…..the 288mm setup & master cylinder is the same as the 312mm GTI/GTD setup only difference is the carrier & the disc ….& I felt a much more linear response afterwards as the 288mm setup was grabby...
The TRW specs show the same for the Golf vs GTI/PP/R master cylinder (despite the different VAG part numbers, if I remember correctly the GTI part number ends in "B") but they are in fact different, as is the brake booster. I have upgraded brakes on my Golf TDI and bought the GTI master cylinder to have installed at the same time thinking it would be a direct swap, it was not.

I'm only talking NAR, haven't looked up any part numbers for ROW. But the gulf has a different set up from it's faster brethren, which all share the same part number. As I recall the GTI/PP/R share the same part numbers as the S3 as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I have a set of calipers from an Alltrack for sale in case anyone is interested. $100 for all four with carriers plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The TRW specs show the same for the Golf vs GTI/PP/R master cylinder (despite the different VAG part numbers, if I remember correctly the GTI part number ends in "B") but they are in fact different, as is the brake booster. I have upgraded brakes on my Golf TDI and bought the GTI master cylinder to have installed at the same time thinking it would be a direct swap, it was not.

I'm only talking NAR, haven't looked up any part numbers for ROW. But the gulf has a different set up from it's faster brethren, which all share the same part number. As I recall the GTI/PP/R share the same part numbers as the S3 as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

In UK which has German built cars we have bigger rear discs as standard on all sub GTi cars as we all have the electronic parking brake (you now get this also)..

Here is the Master cylinder for MK7 Golf hatch for EU build.
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2016-746/6/611-611010/
Look at the column "data model"..these are the PR codes.....8V0 611 021, & 8V0 611 021 B, are for 1ZA, 1ZD, 1ZE, 1ZF, 1ZP.....This covers all basic cars & GTD, & 312MM DCC option so swapping a 288m to 312mm will work as from factory, as I did...

8V0 611 021 A is for the 312m GTI, & 340mm disc/60mm piston caliper & also which come with the vented rear discs....1LJ, 1LV, 1ZB,1LM

1ZF 276mm SILVER ZINC basic spec cars.
1ZE/1ZP 288MM SILVER ZINC
1ZA/ 1ZD 312MM GREY, GTD & DCC equipped cars which would otherwise have 288mm
1ZB/1LV 312 RED, GTI
1ZC/1ZG 312MM BLUE, GTE
1LJ RED, GTI PP, CLUBSPORT, CLUBSPORT S
1LM BLACK, R

tigeo

Autocross Champion
golfdave - did you change your coding in your brake control module to refect the change from 288mm to 312mm brakes? I found this:

Byte 4 in the brake control module should read 24 for vehicles with 288mm brakes and 34 for vehicles with 312mm brakes. To get there, you have to check bit 4 in addition to bits 2 and 5.

Not I use OBDEleven but VCDS of course will be the same.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited: