GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Maybe I`ve missed it, but did you ever fit one of these?

I`m just going though the thread to see what will fit my Mk7 R.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
I’ve been itching for something to “mod” without making any serious changes, I’m glad I found this thread again.

I ordered everything except the rear axle portion, I’ll need to reread that section when the time comes to get under there. I’m not sure I need it as I’ve already used your other thread for the rear spring cup stone guards with good results.

Ordered everything online for under 200 shipped, but I opted for the engine splash tray and not the thicker all-track guard. I’m doing it mostly for aerodynamics and not protection so it was an area I figured I could save some money.

Pabo

Car(s)
Clubsport GTI
Do I need any other bracket to fit the
5WA-501-713 ,only the two plastic nuts ?
Got a good deal on ebay for it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do I need any other bracket to fit the
5WA-501-713 ,only the two plastic nuts ?
Got a good deal on ebay for it.

It should come with the plastic nuts pre-attached...you need one metal bracket & the corresponding nut & bolt to fit the metal bracket to the subframe.

From the original post on the rear axle cover...

Item No.7:- 1K0 501 682, retaining bracket, right, £2.75 (x1)
Item No.9:- N 905 483 05, Hex collared bolt M8x20mm, £0.86 (x1)
Item No.10:- N 901 838 03, Hex collared nyloc nut M8, £0.67 (x1)

Pabo

Car(s)
Clubsport GTI
Oh okay thought those parts are only necessary for the mk6 aerocover.
Mk8 looks if it will hook up over the axel.
Tanks then I will get those parts to

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Oh okay thought those parts are only necessary for the mk6 aerocover.
Mk8 looks if it will hook up over the axel.
Tanks then I will get those parts to

All the short covers require 1 bracket..there are three fixing points

one fixing point is the plastic "hook" on the tray which clips over the subframe
one fixing point is the existing stud on the subframe (one of the plastic nuts fits this)
one fixing point is the bracket which has on it another stud for the other plastic nut to fit to.

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
most of this is for the FWD cars. you can fit the front undertray, rear lower control arm covers, and not much else.

Yeah, I fitted the all-road undertray a while ago and just revisited this thread to see what else I could do.

Off to search for the rear lower control arm covers now . .

Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, I fitted the all-road undertray a while ago and just revisited this thread to see what else I could do.

Off to search for the rear lower control arm covers now . .

Thanks.

MK8 rear lower arm aero covers

Golf Mk8, Splash guards (Aero covers):-
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 733,
Mk8 Splash guard (Aero cover) left, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 734, Mk8 Splash guard (Aero cover) right, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)

To fit as per VAG all require:-
Item No.23:- N 909 203 01,
Rivet nut M6, £1.63 (x4)
Item No.24:- N 911 335 01, Hex head bolt M6x18mm with washer (22mm dia.), £0.96 (x4)
Item No.25:- 8E0 825 267, Plastic spreader rivet, £0.24 (x4)

Modified parts to fit Splash guards (Aero covers) as per other forum members:-
If you do not have a rivet nut installation tool, ignore Items No.23 & 24, & just order another 4 of the plastic spreader rivet (Item No.25.) making a total of 8 quantity of Item No.25 to purchase. Forum member "Reggie Enchilada" has used this on his car & done 140mph with no problems!

All info in first few posts in this thread here:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-covers-or-stone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.375175/

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Dave, I was just looking for that thread!

Links to all my how to guide threads are in the big list in the single link in my signature....just click

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think I`ll treat myself to a rivet tool while I`m at it too.

I've got to strip all the door speakers out this year & redo the foam seals of the speaker with the door skins as its a common failure point on VAG cars for the past 20yrs!....I think I'll replace the pop rivets with rivet nuts in the door skin & then bolt the speaker!!

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I've got to strip all the door speakers out this year & redo the foam seals of the speaker with the door skins as its a common failure point on VAG cars for the past 20yrs!....I think I'll replace the pop rivets with rivet nuts in the door skin & then bolt the speaker!!

I used some big self tappers when I did my speaker seals.

Having second thoughts about a rivet tool, as I`ve never needed one before I don`t think it would get much use in the future.

I have been to the dealers and ordered the Mk8 splash guards.