GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Avanti55

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.2 TSI -15
My car (Seat Leon mk3 ST) was at the dealer last week, so I took the chance to take some pictures from the underside.
I colorized the parts I added to the car:
Red: front suspension cover
Green: front exhaust cover
Pink: rear exhaust cover
Blue: torsion bar covers from Golf 8

I think I've installed all available covers for my car, except for the subframe cover and the jackpoint covers.

View attachment 262587
Nice!

Aren't you missing the panel behind the right rear wheel?

This one;
5F9825102C

1666620996371.png

1666621161229.jpeg

For your version of the fuel tank, there is panel (5WA201429) but then you would need to change the fuel tank strap to the one with a bracket (5WA201656) and I can't see a screw installed for the other mounting point on your tank, behind the mounting point for the purple panel in your picture.

You can see it here, between the rear axle and the fuel tank. Ignore the red circle...

1666621820302.jpeg

Also, the panel behind the rear axle in the picture exists in some different versions, mainly on the Octavia. Don't really know if it works when you have an extra muffler behind the rear axle like you have.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nice!

Aren't you missing the panel behind the right rear wheel?

This one;
5F9825102C

View attachment 263690
View attachment 263691

For your version of the fuel tank, there is panel (5WA201429) but then you would need to change the fuel tank strap to the one with a bracket (5WA201656) and I can't see a screw installed for the other mounting point on your tank, behind the mounting point for the purple panel in your picture.

You can see it here, between the rear axle and the fuel tank. Ignore the red circle...

View attachment 263692

Also, the panel behind the rear axle in the picture exists in some different versions, mainly on the Octavia. Don't really know if it works when you have an extra muffler behind the rear axle like you have.

Well spotted.!!.....

I couldn't see the rear end properly when I initially looked at his photo. VAG covers the unused spaces for the twin rear box systems, & Chillout only has a single rear outlet box. I can't check if the part number you quote is correct for his car, but the multiple holes look interesting!! The Octavia & Golf versions are totally solid!

Obviously there was a harmonic drone from that area on the Seat when fully covered, so they allow it to "bleed" air into the main underbody airflow. Looks like the "upstand" of the tray into the wheel well isn't as high as the Octavia & Golf versions. This lower upstand on the Seat now allowing more airflow into the cavity, so the air has to escape via the holes in the tray.

Also the second tray for the exhaust you mention. I doubt it would fit with his exhaust box which he has in that position...too close...& you would have to foil cover the inside face to protect from heat.

My car (Seat Leon mk3 ST) was at the dealer last week, so I took the chance to take some pictures from the underside.
I colorized the parts I added to the car:
Red: front suspension cover
Green: front exhaust cover
Pink: rear exhaust cover
Blue: torsion bar covers from Golf 8

I think I've installed all available covers for my car, except for the subframe cover and the jackpoint covers.

View attachment 262587

Yep you are missing a cover for the twin outlet (like Golf R) box....

Here's my trays all laid out with the wheel arch liners. Large tray bottom right is the "twin rear exhaust box" cover for those with only a single rear box..:-

1666637909383.jpeg

Avanti55

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.2 TSI -15
Well spotted.!!.....

I couldn't see the rear end properly when I initially looked at his photo. VAG covers the unused spaces for the twin rear box systems, & Chillout only has a single rear outlet box. I can't check if the part number you quote is correct for his car, but the multiple holes look interesting!! The Octavia & Golf versions are totally solid!

Obviously there was a harmonic drone from that area on the Seat when fully covered, so they allow it to "bleed" air into the main underbody airflow. Looks like the "upstand" of the tray into the wheel well isn't as high as the Octavia & Golf versions. This lower upstand on the Seat now allowing more airflow into the cavity, so the air has to escape via the holes in the tray.

Also the second tray for the exhaust you mention. I doubt it would fit with his exhaust box which he has in that position...too close...& you would have to foil cover the inside face to protect from heat.

Yep you are missing a cover for the twin outlet (like Golf R) box....

Here's my trays all laid out with the wheel arch liners. Large tray bottom right is the "twin rear exhaust box" cover for those with only a single rear box..:-

View attachment 263716

Checked the item number before posting and it fits.

The other two big panels in the picture are for the hatchback Leon. Shame they won't fit for those of us with Golf MK7 hatchbacks....

28-10-2022 10-39-34.png

Yeah the panel behind the rear axle might get too hot if you have a muffler there. Could be worth trying though if someone wants to throw some money on it.

Managed to find a good picture of 5WA201429, the fuel tank panel. It does require a newer version of the fuel tank which I think that Chillout has.

But as I said before, the fuel tank strap needs to be changed to the MK8 one with a bracket on it (for the, in the picture, left mounting point on the panel).

Also, the right mounting point needs to be checked out. I can't see a screw on the mounting point on Chillout's fuel tank (circled in yellow below). A sawed-off screw could easily be glued on to it with some RTV silicone rubber if the mounting point screw is missing. Or just straight up glue the panel onto the fuel tank....

Unfortunately, my 2015 Golf hatchback has the older fuel tank, otherwise I definitely would have fit it.

ZdHXdf6MM_EHWShsaCBEwG8jWT8-1920.jpg

1665406481200.png

_tankkonsol(2).jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Pabo

Car(s)
Clubsport GTI
Hey guys I am really confused which part number I need for the rear axel cover for a 5 door gti clubsport.
Is this the right one 5WA501713 ?
Which inserts ,screw ... I need?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey guys I am really confused which part number I need for the rear axel cover for a 5 door gti clubsport.
Is this the right one 5WA501713 ?
Which inserts ,screw ... I need?

When I wrote this the MK8 wasn't made:;

VAG ETKA illustration for VW Golf Mk5/Rear Axle/No.505-000,
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
For small cover:-
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 682
, retaining bracket, right, £2.75 (x1)
Item No.9:- N 905 483 05, Hex collared bolt M8x20mm, £0.86 (x1)
Item No.10:- N 901 838 03, Hex collared nyloc nut M8, £0.67 (x1)
Item No.12:- 1K0 501 713D, Plastic trim for rear axle support frame (includes Item No.13), £41.54 (x1)
Item No.13:- WHT 000 713, Hex collared plastic nut Z11, £0.23 (x2)

Basically items no7, 9, 10, 12.......13 should come attached to item no12.

Then the MK8 Golf was made & there is the MK8 version..but apparently you need to trim the cover a bit more due to the fuel tank being different on the MK8..

Have you fitted the MK8 rear arm aero covers?...front engine bay aero cover or the skid tray?..

Pabo

Car(s)
Clubsport GTI
Will fit the rear arm aero covers, and the axel cover if this will fit without drilling holes to the body.
2 years ago I fittet the gte engine bay cover and the cover which closes the hole of the missing muffler.
I don't want to install the smaller engine cover behind the subframe. Because of heat. My oil temps are 2-5° hotter whit the big gte skid plate.

Last edited:

Avanti55

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.2 TSI -15
@golfdave and @Avanti55, you are both right, The rear right cover was off in the picture, although it's there:
View attachment 265567

I'll order 5WA201429 and see if I can install it. Thanks!
Don’t forget the MK8 fuel tank strap if you do! The part number is 5WA201656. I can’t guarantee that I’ll fit but the tank itself on the MK8 seems to be the same as yours.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, ordered the short exhaust tunnel cover for my 4Mo GSW b/c why not. Didn't want to bother with trying to fit the long one and the ECS Street Shield full-tunnel brace/cover is way overkill for me/too much $$/too heavy. Went through local dealer b/c it looks like this fits Tiguans/Taos so isn't hard to get. Ordered the fasteners as well. Really appreciate threads like this/golfdave's details.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
View attachment 264480Does anyone know how to remove this single white rivet holding this short centre tunnel piece?View attachment 264482
@golfdave - For this, I thought you only need one of the push-pin rivets for the center and the two screws for the "wings" that go uner the existing side shields? I see this has rivets that go into the subframe mounting brackets? I take it those aren't needed? I have the Tyrolsport Deadset kit anyway so no mounting points is my guess.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave - For this, I thought you only need one of the push-pin rivets for the center and the two screws for the "wings" that go uner the existing side shields? I see this has rivets that go into the subframe mounting brackets? I take it those aren't needed? I have the Tyrolsport Deadset kit anyway so no mounting points is my guess.

eh?

For the short tray you only need two push rivets....for the long tray you require four push rivets...

Quote from my orginal post:_
For long cover:-
Item No.15:- N 038 549 4,
Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x4)

For short cover (GTE & 4WD):-
Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x2)
Item No.16:- N909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.17 (x2)

The short cover has two wings which fit under the front lips of the side panels...then there is a push rivet in each of the front subframe's rear support brackets..as per the fitment of the long cover.

The existing side covers should, but might not have the "speed nuts"..metal "Z" clip nuts as like on the wheel arch liners...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
eh?

For the short tray you only need two push rivets....for the long tray you require four push rivets...

Quote from my orginal post:_
For long cover:-
Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x4)

For short cover (GTE & 4WD):-
Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x2)
Item No.16:- N909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.17 (x2)

The short cover has two wings which fit under the front lips of the side panels...then there is a push rivet in each of the front subframe's rear support brackets..as per the fitment of the long cover.

The existing side covers should, but might not have the "speed nuts"..metal "Z" clip nuts as like on the wheel arch liners...
Ok, I was totally confused but got it now. I bet it won't work with those push-rivets b/c of the aftermarket subframe brackets but I should be able to get it to even if I have to use zip ties! I have plenty of extra speed nut/z clips.

Edit - I know they won't work. Should still be able to be secured.
Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, ordered the rear LCA aero cover kit from NGP - 2 covers + 4 plastic push rivets....about $50 delivered. I know I know...e-acca but I didn't feel like waiting and I like to toss some money this time of the year to the shops/vendors I like and NGP is one of them. Total install time. 1 min. hahaha Can't see needing anything beyond the push rivets, they are v. snug and secure.
20221123_124712.jpg
20221123_124940.jpg
20221123_124956.jpg
20221123_125156.jpg
20221123_125217.jpg
20221123_125226.jpg