GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Undutched

Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra R ST
You'll only get heat soak if you cover the whole of the exhaust tunnel up....as one forum member discovered after making up a whole length cover..

If you really are risk adverse...just get the short lip which I mention which is for the AWD....as it helps direct/guide the air flow at the front of the exhaust tunnel...
Dear Dave,

according to you, you didn't recommend using the metal one as its not a 100% fit ;), so I opted for the short version, as I have both: GPF and AWD.
I'll report back in a few weeks, see what difference the mods made, as I do appreciate the effort you put into putting the information together, I'll try and remember to check fuel consumption.

prices incl. 19% VAT

Short Cover 5Q0 825 230 J - (x1) 23,49 €
N 038 549 4 - (x2) 0,58 €
N909 747 01 (x2) 1,60 €
Air Blade 5WA 407 118 (x1) 3,71 €
Air Blade 5WA 407 117 (x1) 3,71 €
8E0 825 267 (x4) 1,04 €

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 152

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dear Dave,

according to you, you didn't recommend using the metal one as its not a 100% fit ;),

Correct...however seeing as only the short cover is 100% for the AWD, any long type cover is a compromise....either on fit (metal cover) or durability/heat resistance (plastic with foil lining MK7 cover)....so its up to you...;)

Undutched

Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra R ST
All parts installed.

The central cover was easy, but the air blades below the RS3 brake ducts was a pain. I used screws instead of the pins for 2 of the holes as it was a bit too tight for my liking. I'll have to replace one of them with a black one as I didn't have a second in the correct size (as you'll notice).

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 286

gatucho

Car(s)
Leon Cupra
Hello guys,
I been reading this thread, and I'm really pumped up and ready to install any additional protection to my Leon Cupra!

However, I took a look at the bottom of the car to verify that it has the necessary bits... and to my dismay I found this!😱

P_20220916_172137.jpg

Now I'm not sure that any of the skid plates (including alltrack or Ares) will fit due to this misalignment!!

Please, I need your wise advice. What are my options? Will I be limited to aero trays? Would you recommend filing the misaligned bit with my trusty Dremel🤔? Or maybe trying an smaller bolt?

Also, accessing the bolts through the radiator looks impossible in this Leon.. so all work will be done by the underside (I don't want to remove the bumper cover... yet).

Please advise me 🥺

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello guys,
I been reading this thread, and I'm really pumped up and ready to install any additional protection to my Leon Cupra!

However, I took a look at the bottom of the car to verify that it has the necessary bits... and to my dismay I found this!😱

View attachment 261083
Now I'm not sure that any of the skid plates (including alltrack or Ares) will fit due to this misalignment!!

Please, I need your wise advice. What are my options? Will I be limited to aero trays? Would you recommend filing the misaligned bit with my trusty Dremel🤔? Or maybe trying an smaller bolt?

Also, accessing the bolts through the radiator looks impossible in this Leon.. so all work will be done by the underside (I don't want to remove the bumper cover... yet).

Please advise me 🥺

You might be able to get the bolt through that hole...you cannot use a smaller bolt as it will not screw into the bracket.....

Your only other option is to remove the bumper skin & undo the crash rail bolts & re-align the main crash bar.....the only way the hole has been mis-aligned is due to the car being crashed & the front crash bar being replaced.....or the engine has been out via the front..

The main four big bolts are 55Nm...the two smaller bolts on the side are 8Nm
Front impact bar ERWIN.jpg

gatucho

Car(s)
Leon Cupra
You might be able to get the bolt through that hole...you cannot use a smaller bolt as it will not screw into the bracket.....

Your only other option is to remove the bumper skin & undo the crash rail bolts & re-align the main crash bar.....the only way the hole has been mis-aligned is due to the car being crashed & the front crash bar being replaced.....or the engine has been out via the front..

The main four big bolts are 55Nm...the two smaller bolts on the side are 8Nm
View attachment 261112
Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking that maybe realignment could be possible, buy it sounds like a hurdle... Thanks for the diagram!

The car has never been in a crash BTW, has barely any scratch, and the crash rail has never been removed. Either it came like this from the factory (Spain) or a pothole did it. However, I have never even had a flat tire!

I was thinking, a smaller bolt and then using a nut and washer to fix the support? Too flimsy?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking that maybe realignment could be possible, buy it sounds like a hurdle... Thanks for the diagram!

The car has never been in a crash BTW, has barely any scratch, and the crash rail has never been removed. Either it came like this from the factory (Spain) or a pothole did it. However, I have never even had a flat tire!

I was thinking, a smaller bolt and then using a nut and washer to fix the support? Too flimsy?

So, it's the factorty in Spain then!!..

You have to use the proper sized bolt.....I'd get one bolt & see if it will screw through...it might just, due to the depth of the thread enabling it to go through a smaller hole...

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Well after 9 months I am finally getting my golf back from the shop after not being able to get a headlight for the life of me. One thing I was surprised by is that ECS tuning makes a skid plate that goes in the fuel tank. Thank means once I add this my Golf R will basically be flat-bottomed. I'll have to modify it a little to fit with my Verus rear diffuser, but after close examinations of the photos, this will easily be achieved while maintaining all of the intended mounting points.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...l-tank-street-shield-skid-plate/016737la01kt/

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Well after 9 months I am finally getting my golf back from the shop after not being able to get a headlight for the life of me. One thing I was surprised by is that ECS tuning makes a skid plate that goes in the fuel tank. Thank means once I add this my Golf R will basically be flat-bottomed. I'll have to modify it a little to fit with my Verus rear diffuser, but after close examinations of the photos, this will easily be achieved while maintaining all of the intended mounting points.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...l-tank-street-shield-skid-plate/016737la01kt/
No way! I wish they had better pics to see it better.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
My car (Seat Leon mk3 ST) was at the dealer last week, so I took the chance to take some pictures from the underside.
I colorized the parts I added to the car:
Red: front suspension cover
Green: front exhaust cover
Pink: rear exhaust cover
Blue: torsion bar covers from Golf 8

I think I've installed all available covers for my car, except for the subframe cover and the jackpoint covers.

1665406481200.png

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My car (Seat Leon mk3 ST) was at the dealer last week, so I took the chance to take some pictures from the underside.

I think I've installed all available covers for my car, except for the subframe cover and the jackpoint covers.

View attachment 262587

Nice photo!..I wish I could get under my car like that...unfortunately the workshop head is a bit anal about letting the "public" into the workshop & under the lifts...:(

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Nice photo!..I wish I could get under my car like that...unfortunately the workshop head is a bit anal about letting the "public" into the workshop & under the lifts...:(
Let them shoot a picture with your phone or ask them to text you an image from theirs.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie

View attachment 262587
Please tell me more about the front suspension covers. I don't recall seeing those in the early pages of this thread.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Let them shoot a picture with your phone or ask them to text you an image from theirs.

I did..& the photo was crap....they're not photographers..!!

Please tell me more about the front suspension covers. I don't recall seeing those in the early pages of this thread.

MK8 Golf front arm covers are used...they fit some of the MK7/MK7.5 Golfs depends on the arm as there was a slight change in the arm design when the ClubSport appeared..this arm then was on the GTI/GTD/R ...so it may fit 100% or it may require some trimming....

Last edited: