GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
There were some overviews from a different car....but if you look at my photos for those trays in the first few post on the first page of this thread you'll see were/what I'm talking about.....

Thanks very much Dave - I’ve re-looked at your initial posts and I’m still not quite getting it. I may try to throw together a simple diagram myself if I have time and post it up 🤔

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks very much Dave - I’ve re-looked at your initial posts and I’m still not quite getting it. I may try to throw together a simple diagram myself if I have time and post it up 🤔
Found the "blank" one that somebody else posted...I then later annotated it & reposted it up in this thread...

Audi-A3-saloon-2020-anotated-reduced.jpg

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
Is there a way to find out what vehicles were originally fitted with these covers? I have access to partslink, but you have to search by VIN, so if the part doesn't match your VIN, it won't show up, or it'll be greyed out. It won't back-search and tell you what car could've had it.
My dealer asked for VIN on a couple of these parts as some of them have superseded to newer numbers/suffixes

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is there a way to find out what vehicles were originally fitted with these covers? I have access to partslink, but you have to search by VIN, so if the part doesn't match your VIN, it won't show up, or it'll be greyed out. It won't back-search and tell you what car could've had it.
My dealer asked for VIN on a couple of these parts as some of them have superseded to newer numbers/suffixes

Forget it, it will only tell you what was fitted at factory for the car/VIN....then you'll end up with no other parts retro-fitted....

Just give them the part number, if they say its been superseded get them to check the PR codes as they should be the same for the old & the new parts...I state in most of my threads all the main info in the first few posts......

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Any chance you know the part number for the A3-specific piece for the rear bumper? I'm wondering if it would work to (partially) fill the gap at the back of the eGolf.

No & won't do much for your huge hole the e-Golf has...best to try to fit the Versus rear diffuser....or make something up yourself

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
No & won't do much for your huge hole the e-Golf has...best to try to fit the Versus rear diffuser....or make something up yourself
If you search the E-Golf Facebook groups, covering the rear void does almost nothing for increased range. I was a bit surprised.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If you search the E-Golf Facebook groups, covering the rear void does almost nothing for increased range. I was a bit surprised.

Obviously not trying hard enough...!!...

It'll do something for stability though....nope the battery weights the car down......bugger....err???......Noise reduction ??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Stability will be better...especially when in off camber & when the rear is under light load...I hope on the reverse side they covered the middle 1/3 of each section of the tray with some Dynamat or similar..that would help stop the metal "ringing" when a stone hits...

EDIT..thats not Versus...but a home made job??..looks good!

Nick11

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Thank you @golfdave for the great guides. So far, I have done the Lower rear suspension Mk8 aero guards, Jack pads from the Audi RS3, skid tray from the Alltrack, exhaust tunnel front cover, and the mk8 rear axle cover. When I did the skid tray, I give up on trying to do it without removing the bumper and just removed the front bumper. I also had the problem with the bolt on the driver side not fitting. My car is a 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP DCC.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you @golfdave for the great guides. So far, I have done the Lower rear suspension Mk8 aero guards, Jack pads from the Audi RS3, skid tray from the Alltrack, exhaust tunnel front cover, and the mk8 rear axle cover. When I did the skid tray, I give up on trying to do it without removing the bumper and just removed the front bumper. I also had the problem with the bolt on the driver side not fitting. My car is a 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP DCC.
View attachment 254297

Looking at the scrape marks on the front lower section of your front bumper...I think you need the skid tray!!... 😬

Nick11

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Looking at the scrape marks on the front lower section of your front bumper...I think you need the skid tray!!... 😬
Yeah the previous owner really scraped it up. I just get the car like 3 month’s ago. It was even missing the short aero cover it supposed to have. I am looking at doing the front control arm covers next but still trying to research it to see if it will fit mine.