GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

CaSeCa

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
When I mounted the shield I had the same problems as you. I was sure it wouldn't fit. After a few tests I found the right way. The first time the shield is inserted on the thread next to the exhaust. Then screw the plastic nut (WHT000713) only partially. And then connect the shield to the metal bracket (1K0 501 682). If you mount it in reverse order it does not fit.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I have the non-vented skid plate on my '18R and have run multiple track days with it on. No oil temp issues. I'm only running a jb4 map 1, so I'm not generating as much heat as stage 2 or higher cars.

Probably the only difference I see is the oil temp sensor starts displaying oil temp about an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile earlier on my commute. It's really negligible and doubt cooling is the reason for not offering it.

This seems to be the only post I can find referencing a tune and additional heat.

My question is has anyone else noticed any negative heat effects, in hotter climates, with tuned cars?

Also not detract from this thread, but it looks like the Alltrack skid tray fits as well (only looked US spec deep so far)? I understand that may have surfaced after this original thread, but it seems that the kit is pretty straight forward as well.

Thanks for the work on all of this.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This seems to be the only post I can find referencing a tune and additional heat.

My question is has anyone else noticed any negative heat effects, in hotter climates, with tuned cars?

Also not detract from this thread, but it looks like the Alltrack skid tray fits as well (only looked US spec deep so far)? I understand that may have surfaced after this original thread, but it seems that the kit is pretty straight forward as well.

Its the same part.....the Alltrack is a stand alone trim spec of a Golf estate with the factory spec "rough road package" & "increased ride height" packages.....both of those packages are available to spec in Europe & to importers around the world for the standard Golf estate.

All the correct info is in the first 9 or so posts in this thread as I update them..

Reactions: krs

Quezno

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
I started with the harmonic balancer, and have been following the golfdave path to aerovana ever since. This thread has been an incredible resource and catnip to a GTI owner like me.

Thank you, OP!

Attachments

• 903049BD-24E5-40B1-8961-976DF7D73A89.jpeg
    903049BD-24E5-40B1-8961-976DF7D73A89.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 233

Quezno

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI

I'm in CA with a Stage 1 APR GTI. With the TDI splash tray (no vents), I ran 3-6 degrees warmer than usual. No adverse effects. Since I have Motul gear oil, a faster warming and warmer trans felt like a feature not a bug.

Just installed one with vents, and expect 1-2 degrees over OE setup.

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about negative heat effects. Heat is the enemy of power and reliability. Everyone will (should) notice a loss in power on hotter days. This will be even more noticeable on tuned cars because they're pushing the cooling capacity of the radiator, heat exchangers, and intercooler closer to their limits.

Also, just an update. I've since upgraded to a full stage 2 car since that post. I went from a JB4 to an EQT OTS stg 2. EQT changes the coolant tables to get the car to run cooler and it's very noticeable with oil temps. On track, I have not surpassed 250 on the factory gauge, while I would occasionally hit the low 260s with the jb4. I have not noticed any negative effects of not having the non-vented skidplate. The 6MT with a Wavetrac has been happy with Motul gear 300.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about negative heat effects. Heat is the enemy of power and reliability. Everyone will (should) notice a loss in power on hotter days. This will be even more noticeable on tuned cars because they're pushing the cooling capacity of the radiator, heat exchangers, and intercooler closer to their limits.

Also, just an update. I've since upgraded to a full stage 2 car since that post. I went from a JB4 to an EQT OTS stg 2. EQT changes the coolant tables to get the car to run cooler and it's very noticeable with oil temps. On track, I have not surpassed 250 on the factory gauge, while I would occasionally hit the low 260s with the jb4. I have not noticed any negative effects of not having the non-vented skidplate. The 6MT with a Wavetrac has been happy with Motul gear 300.

That's alright, others understood.

Of course heat is inevitable with any car, I don't live under a rock. A change of 3° - 6° really is negligible. Now a change of 15°- 20° on average would not be worth the addition of the skidplate, for me. If it means I need to open my hood more between runs, sure that's an easy tradeoff. But even then from the data I recorded over the course of 30 events last year, opening the hood had little effect on minimizing heat soak during the heat of the summer. I would rarely see oil temps near 250° as recorded through the accessport, even at the end of multiple autorcoss runs in August, as it currently sits. But this is something I'm willing to try as there's other benefits I'm interested in.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
hI.
Finally fitted some aero bits to my 2018 1.5 tsi evo MK 7.5

Already had the full engine cover from standard.

New bits.
Front exhaust tunnel cover. 5Q0 825 229 C
Rear axle cover 1K0 501 713C
Rear lower arms covers 5QO 501 733/4

Rear exhaust cover 5QO 835 206K Not yet fitted as my car has an extra silencer box in that area but to fit this panel i
would have to spacer out one of the fitting points on the underside as the new panel touches in one area of the underside of the silencer box.

Not sure if this is possible but my car sounds nosier in the front now ,Could the front tunnel cover cause this ?

All new parts fit well and solid.

Cheers.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
hI.
Finally fitted some aero bits to my 2018 1.5 tsi evo MK 7.5

Already had the full engine cover from standard.

New bits.
Front exhaust tunnel cover. 5Q0 825 229 C
Rear axle cover 1K0 501 713C
Rear lower arms covers 5QO 501 733/4

Rear exhaust cover 5QO 835 206K Not yet fitted as my car has an extra silencer box in that area but to fit this panel i
would have to spacer out one of the fitting points on the underside as the new panel touches in one area of the underside of the silencer box.

Not sure if this is possible but my car sounds nosier in the front now ,Could the front tunnel cover cause this ?

All new parts fit well and solid.

Cheers.

There has been some slight variations on that rear exhaust tunnel cover where it fits the fuel tank....as far as extra noise goes...my car got quieter....check fitment....also its strange that you say the car came with the full front aero tray..usually a petrol car only get the half tray & not the full coverage one which is fitted to diesel engine cars..

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Rear exhaust cover 5QO 835 206K

As i have said before my car is the 1.5TSI and this new cover covers another silencer in that area on my car.

It fits on the fuel tank stud fine and fits the long undertray fine but there is no stud on the chassis for
the 3rd fixing point only a 13mm bolt holding the heat shield not sure what else but positioning the cover
it catches the underside of this second silencer.

Maybe i would have to change this bolt for a longer one and space it out so the new cover does not sit on the silencer.
if you know what i mean.

Any thoughts has anyone come across this problem.

This is a picture of my exhaust system with the extra silencer.

Attachments

• ce6cdd4e-6dc3-49c3-8546-04fca9d11651.jpg
    ce6cdd4e-6dc3-49c3-8546-04fca9d11651.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rear exhaust cover 5QO 835 206K

As i have said before my car is the 1.5TSI and this new cover covers another silencer in that area on my car.

It fits on the fuel tank stud fine and fits the long undertray fine but there is no stud on the chassis for
the 3rd fixing point only a 13mm bolt holding the heat shield not sure what else but positioning the cover
it catches the underside of this second silencer.

Maybe i would have to change this bolt for a longer one and space it out so the new cover does not sit on the silencer.
if you know what i mean.

Any thoughts has anyone come across this problem.

This is a picture of my exhaust system with the extra silencer.

I've had a double check on the VAG workshop books, but as you point out you have an extra silencer in that area, preventing 100% fitment....there is no way it will fit...not designed to cover when you have the extra silencer....

The workshop books point out that certain engine specs will not have this fitted.......you have to see if you can get it too fi yourself if you want to fit it...

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Thanks Dave.
I will have a closer look and see if it is worth the trouble.

Cheers mate.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
View attachment 239061View attachment 239062Idk if I missed it or if it’s in the middle of the thread. But is there any pieces that covers the part circled in red?

thx

NO....& there haven't been as the visible part of the fuel tank is the lowest section....

..if that is your car you could fit the front exhaust cover as you only have a pipe there....(fits between the rear of the front subframe & the brace bar across the exhaust tunnel under where the gearstick is)...

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I had some leftover parts for an underbody retrofit on my friend's mk7 gti, as he sold his. Bought a mk7 tdi to replace the gti as a daily, so IRS. As expected, middle exhaust tunnel fits. Nothing else does as there is no spring bucket in the rear, and is an IRS.

One thing I have noticed for the IRS cars, the curved exhaust shield 5G0 825 206 J is almost impossible to get in the US (except from ECS who has extremely questionable shipping and order fulfillment), I see 5Q0 825 206 J, which appears to be the same exact one, so I will be experimenting and seeing if that is one that can be used.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Found a new aero piece for the S3, probably can fit our mk7 GTI's.

1:32 start to show it. Bryce Jordan installing Verkline anti squat arms on his very new Audi S3. (Wish my day job paid that much, Verkline is $$$)

Anyhow, the parts are small covers to close the gap at rear of bottom cover to the gas tank. Just under the rear seat.

Anybody have an idea on parts numbers?
I'm pretty sure my mk7.5 has the same underbody as his s3.
I'll go look after I shovel some snow away from the car....