GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Sorry to be a nuisance, but at the risk of having to read all 63 pages, can someone tell me what parts (and numbers) i need in total to fit the rear axle cover (between the tank and the rear wishbones), on a MK7.5 GTI Hatch. I've seen mention of long versions, short versions and MK8 versions.

If i understand correctly the long version is only for Estates (wagon's), and the short versions for the hatchback, but I think I also read that the original short version is now discontinued by VW, but that the MK8 version fits ? Could also do with all the fixings too please as that will now complete my aero on the bottom.
I have a mk7 & fitted the mk8 version. You only need 1 of the brackets (sure it’s 1K0501682, I ordered both by mistake) & 1 of the nuts & bolts

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Sorry to be a nuisance, but at the risk of having to read all 63 pages, can someone tell me what parts (and numbers) i need in total to fit the rear axle cover (between the tank and the rear wishbones), on a MK7.5 GTI Hatch. I've seen mention of long versions, short versions and MK8 versions.

If i understand correctly the long version is only for Estates (wagon's), and the short versions for the hatchback, but I think I also read that the original short version is now discontinued by VW, but that the MK8 version fits ? Could also do with all the fixings too please as that will now complete my aero on the bottom.
Just a small note - you may find some post-face lifted versions without fixing struds on the cover on LR side (as I did) but metric bolt/nuts worked well. Just bend and you will solve it

CaSeCa

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
20210821_151129.jpg

20210821_152208.jpg

20210821_152722.jpg

I have install today the rear axle cover. Thank you @golfdave for this topic and for the instructions.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

marketroid

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SEL
Finally put the Mk8 front and rear aero covers that I've had in my basement for ... too long on today. And the harmonic damper.

The front covers fit without modification for my 2019 eGolf SEL. I also looked at putting on the Jetta axle cover. I *think* the actual cover could be trimmed to fit, but the battery/battery cover interferes with adding the mounting brackets (or I got confused), so I decided that was a no-go.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Finally put the Mk8 front and rear aero covers that I've had in my basement for ... too long on today. And the harmonic damper.

The front covers fit without modification for my 2019 eGolf SEL. I also looked at putting on the Jetta axle cover. I *think* the actual cover could be trimmed to fit, but the battery/battery cover interferes with adding the mounting brackets (or I got confused), so I decided that was a no-go.

The e-golf....I have wondered about the long rear axle Passat cover (that I fitted) I the fitment to the e-Golf..it should but the its the "interference" between it & the existing battery cover...so unknown.....case of somebody has to try it.

SkodaOctaviaIII

Car(s)
Skoda Octavia 110TSI
Dave! Big fan of yours across many forums, you are truly the NVH/Aero guru!

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI CZDA 6-speed manual all the way here in Australia.
It has the torsion beam sadly.

Going from front to rear:

1. I have the half aero underbody tray
Can I fit the FULL size one? What would the part number be? Would a Mk8 one work?

2. I don't have the centre tunnel shield.
Could I fit a Mk8 Golf one?

3. I have the long underbody side panels

4. I don't have the rear exhaust tunnel cover.
Which part do I need?

5. I would like to add the two covers to each side of the torsion beam, and the middle cover too?
Which parts do I need?

6. I already have the right side cover (where the exhaust isn't) and on the other side there is the muffler (so no need for a cover).

Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it!

PS I'm trying to make the Octavia quieter with improved boot lid bump stops too in the pipeline from the facelift model!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave! Big fan of yours across many forums, you are truly the NVH/Aero guru!

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI CZDA 6-speed manual all the way here in Australia.
It has the torsion beam sadly.

Going from front to rear:

1. I have the half aero underbody tray
Can I fit the FULL size one? YES...What would the part number be? as listed in first page depending on which one you want...Would a Mk8 one work?..Should do

2. I don't have the centre tunnel shield.
Could I fit a Mk8 Golf one?..Yes..just its noisy as metal

3. I have the long underbody side panels

4. I don't have the rear exhaust tunnel cover.
Which part do I need?..Your exhaust is routed differently I don't think there is one...I have seen one for the China versions. Which might fit ..

5. I would like to add the two covers to each side of the torsion beam, and the middle cover too?
Which parts do I need? Listed in the thread somewhere ..a forum member added these to his Seat, but noted that they require to clip into the plastic seat perches which protrude through the metal holders...these are different if you don't have it fitted at factorty...so modification is required..unless you remove springs & fit the correct parts..

6. I already have the right side cover (where the exhaust isn't) and on the other side there is the muffler (so no need for a cover)....cover for Octavia where exhaust pipe exists is only for those which have the exhaust box besides the torsion beam & across the car...

Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it!

PS I'm trying to make the Octavia quieter with improved boot lid bump stops too in the pipeline from the facelift model!

Quick reply ....answers in bold....busy with other stuff at the moment..!

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if the front exhaust tunnel cover will block off the ac evaporator drain outlet?
I've noticed the lack of water underneath the car after using the AC so I'm worried about a possibility of clogged drain pipe or it's just the cover obstructing it ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Does anyone know if the front exhaust tunnel cover will block off the ac evaporator drain outlet?
I've noticed the lack of water underneath the car after using the AC so I'm worried about a possibility of clogged drain pipe or it's just the cover obstructing it ?
Good question.....don't know the answer as I've forgotten where the drain outlet is!!...

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Good question.....don't know the answer as I've forgotten where the drain outlet is!!...
I went underneath the car today and took out the front exhaust tunnel cover (5Q0 825 229 C). Upon removal, a small amount of water spilled from the cover.
So this has confirmed my suspicion that the water from the AC drain pipe will drip and accumulate onto the cover.

Not sure if the small amount of water will create any problem but I'll remove the cover for now and maybe drill a hole nearer to the AC outlet before reinstalling it

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I went underneath the car today and took out the front exhaust tunnel cover (5Q0 825 229 C). Upon removal, a small amount of water spilled from the cover.
So this has confirmed my suspicion that the water from the AC drain pipe will drip and accumulate onto the cover.

Not sure if the small amount of water will create any problem but I'll remove the cover for now and maybe drill a hole nearer to the AC outlet before reinstalling it

Considering the cover is made for the Mk7/Mk7.5 Golf & is factory fit for some cars with aircon that's strangle!...

I had too look for A/C drain outlet...basically exhaust tunnel near gearstick..

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering the cover is made for the Mk7/Mk7.5 Golf & is factory fit for some cars with aircon that's strangle!...

I had too look for A/C drain outlet...basically exhaust tunnel near gearstick..
underbody trim.jpg

The trim cover itself comes with 2 small drain holes, located towards the midsection of the car
I suspect the water from the AC will drip onto the location i marked with the star, still trying to confirm them in this thread- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ac-evaporator-drain-tube.333051
The presence of ridges on the trim (circled in yellow), seems to prevent the AC drain water from reaching the drain hole on the trim

I guess the trim is great if one doesn't want water dripping anywhere in their garage

But, do you think the accumulation of water at that area can lead to moldy problems and stinky AC?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
View attachment 226198
The trim cover itself comes with 2 small drain holes, located towards the midsection of the car
I suspect the water from the AC will drip onto the location i marked with the star, still trying to confirm them in this thread- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ac-evaporator-drain-tube.333051
The presence of ridges on the trim (circled in yellow), seems to prevent the AC drain water from reaching the drain hole on the trim

I guess the trim is great if one doesn't want water dripping anywhere in their garage

But, do you think the accumulation of water at that area can lead to moldy problems and stinky AC?

As the exhaust is enclosed in that area I think any heat from the exhaust will dry the area/puddles out..

CaSeCa

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7