GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

ixiuxi

Car(s)
Golf GTI Perf Mk 7.5
Yesterday I put on the following parts. They all fit on my Golf 7.5 GTI Performance (5-door hatchback) without any problems,
also the MK 8 GTI rear axle cover fits completely 1:1 on my car:

Part number is: 5WA501713 (MK8 GTI rear axle cover, 5 door hatchback)

-- 3Q0826236C ("big" splashguard for the front under the engine, with DSG-cooling)

-- 5Q0 501 733, MK8 aero splash guard left (rear axle)

-- 5Q0 501 734, MK8 aero splash guard right (rear axle)

-- 1K0 505 563 balance weight/rear subframe harmonic damper

I also put on the RS3 brake cooling ducts, they fitted also plug and play.

8V0407811

8V0407812

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Hi,

I've got a few questions about how all of this applies to e-Golfs, if at all. 1) Does the rear axle cover (either long or short) not apply to the e-Golf because it's blocked by one of the e-Golf-specific trim pieces? 2) Is there anything OEM to cover the gap between the rear suspension and the bumper? 3) Failing an OEM solution, should the Verus Engineering rear diffuser fit the e-Golf and work to fill that gap?

Oh, and I'm really asking about 2019 e-Golfs if that matters. But I don't think it does.

Thanks!
You will need the rear exhaust hangers to fit the Verus diffuser. Which shouldn't be difficult. I can see the holes are already there in the chassis. The rest should fit up fine.

Vorne Au hinten Weh

Passed Driver's Ed
I just completed installing underbody covers on my 2019 Canadian GTI 7.5, Rabbit edition (MT, no sunroof)
First off I would like to thank all those who contributed to the enormous knowledge base compiled in this thread.

I wanted to see if I could quiet my car down. On smooth pavement it was very quiet. On tarmac with more stone contents it could get too loud to talk. Noico foam on the lower and upper trunk cover, rear footwell and under the rear seat cushion helped a bit. The car has stock suspension, intake and exhaust, and the OEM rims. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ in summer, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 in WInter.
For under the engine/tranny I bought a used undertray from a DCT car. Two air openings on the driver side front, some in the rear. Made no difference (to me) in noise level, but keeps the winter salt/sand mix off engine parts and the front of the subframe.
Right behind the front subframe I installed a plastic tray with thermo insulation on the top (5Q0 825 229C). It sits under the second catalytic converter, still looking good after more than 6 months.
Further back I installed a plastic tray (5Q0 825 206K) connecting to the driver side long factory undertray and covering parts of the exhaust pipe, connecting to the fuel tank and the car floor under the rear door. No insulation on the top of that one.
Next was the Golf 8 rear axle cover (5WA 501 713), with bracket 1K0 501 682.
Lastly the two rear suspension areo covers on the lower control arms, 5Q0 501 734 and 5Q0 501 733. (for installation hardware and images please refer to earlier posts by others).

The reduction in road noise transmission was astonishing. Loving it! Glad I did this.
All the items fit as they came, no rework required.

Again, many thanks to all those who have worked on this thread and provided their knowledge.

Other covers that do not fit my car
Shooting the breeze with a buddy in Europe it became clear that the front lower control arms on my car do not fit the two different areo cover designs he was aware of (Golf 8 and Seat). One mounting hole and the opening to accommodate the height sensor bolt fit, the other mounting hole in the covers ends up being located on a sloped section of the stamping. I imagine that could maybe be dealt with using zip ties, but nah. I did not get those.

There is another Golf 8 underbody cover that goes between the passenger side long factory undertray and the fuel tank, and curving to cover between fuel tank and outer frame. The tray (5WA 825 102A) is a bit short but that could be extended easily. My buddy was surprised when he studied a photo of this underbody section of my car and saw the parking brake cable. Firstly, because he would much prefer the mechanical parking brake activation to the electronic one they have. Secondly, the cable and its support wire hanger would interfere big time with the small tray. So I did not get that one either.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Perhaps you had comparable issue with the MK8 front control arm covers like me. As I wrote HERE I modified both the plastic covers a bit and also plastic rivets in order to force it into fitting hole. After one winter and few thousands of kilometres, including numerous rides exceeding 200km/h speed, I took a close look on both covers and they are still rock solid. Still, do it on your own risk.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Perhaps you had comparable issue with the MK8 front control arm covers like me. As I wrote HERE I modified both the plastic covers a bit and also plastic rivets in order to force it into fitting hole. After one winter and few thousands of kilometres, including numerous rides exceeding 200km/h speed, I took a close look on both covers and they are still rock solid. Still, do it on your own risk.

Again with the front arm lower covers using Mk8 Golf parts...seems there are several versions..& this was fitted to a Seat Leon...which should have the same arms as our Golf...

Golf 8 cover for front arms — SEAT Leon FR, 1.5 liter, 2020 year on DRIVE2

What parts did you use??

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Morning Dave and everyone.

Fitted Harmonic Damper Yesterday, will test next week.

I have now found your other threads from 2015 and have started reading through this 60 pages to date.

I have the 2108 MK 7.5 1.5 DSG 4 door and i would like to make it quieter and gain some MPG if possible.

Have you a quick list of aero parts i need for my car but if not i can keep reading the thread no problem

1 extended plastic engine cover 1.5 DSG
2 front suspension covers
3 front exhaust tunnel cover
4 rear exhaust cover
5 rear axle cover
6 left and right Rear suspension covers.

Plus clips & Screws.

Many Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Morning Dave and everyone.

Fitted Harmonic Damper Yesterday, will test next week.

I have now found your other threads from 2015 and have started reading through this 60 pages to date.

I have the 2108 MK 7.5 1.5 DSG 4 door and i would like to make it quieter and gain some MPG if possible.

Have you a quick list of aero parts i need for my car but if not i can keep reading the thread no problem

1 extended plastic engine cover 1.5 DSG
2 front suspension covers
4 rear exhaust cover
5 rear axle cover
6 left and right Rear suspension covers.

Plus clips & Screws.

Many Thanks.

First look under your car, you should have the front exhaust tunnel cover fitted from factory..

1 extended plastic engine cover 1.5 DSG (thin aero "diesel noise insulation" I presume you want & not reinforced skid tray)
2 front suspension covers (Mk8 Golf lower arm covers)
4 rear exhaust cover
5 rear axle cover (Mk5/6 short axle cover or possibly Mk8 Golf version)
6 left and right Rear suspension covers. (Mk8 rear Lower arm aero covers).

That will make a difference to the aero/mpg & noise

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Thanks for replying so quick Dave.

I have quite bad Tinnitus and the quieter i can get my car the better, plus if the world ever gets back to some kind of normal we would like to tour Europe some more in the car.

I have already sound proofed rear floor and under rear seat plus tailgate and 4 doors. i have also sprayed sound proof coating in all 4 wheel arches behind the covers.

So this is the next step harmonic damper done now it is down to under body aero for noise and extra MPG would be a bonus.

Many thanks.

Keep up the great work👍👌

I will check under my car later but i am quite sure there is no front exhaust cover but i think i have the full sized engine tray?
The only covers i have i think is the engine under tray and the 2 side covers each side of the exhaust tunnel.

Last edited:

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Hello Dave

These are some pics of the underside of my 1.5 DSG R Line
I see no DSG Gearbox vents in the under tray either.

What do you think?
It looks like all i have fitted standard factory is the large Engine tray?

20210425_135927 (2).jpg
20210425_135914 (9).jpg
20210425_135853 (1).jpg
20210425_140043 (1).jpg
20210425_140337 (1).jpg
20210425_140346 (2).jpg
20210425_140346 (2).jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You have the diesel noise insulation full aero tray....the vents for the DSG would be facing the front...but I can't see any from those photos.

The front exhaust tunnel tray, you don't have as you have your second cat there as they have now moved it from the down pipe.....You could fit the all metal tray from the Mk8 Golf/Tiguan...if you are worried about melting the plastic/foil lined Mk7 Tray..

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Thank you.

i cannot see any vents all in my this my aero tray.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you.

i cannot see any vents all in my this my aero tray.

Bugger!...of well obviously VW don't think the DSG gearbox requires it as its not an R or GTI....anyway keep it if you want or swap at a later date...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate