GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

marketroid

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SEL
Hi,

I've got a few questions about how all of this applies to e-Golfs, if at all. 1) Does the rear axle cover (either long or short) not apply to the e-Golf because it's blocked by one of the e-Golf-specific trim pieces? 2) Is there anything OEM to cover the gap between the rear suspension and the bumper? 3) Failing an OEM solution, should the Verus Engineering rear diffuser fit the e-Golf and work to fill that gap?

Oh, and I'm really asking about 2019 e-Golfs if that matters. But I don't think it does.

Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi,

I've got a few questions about how all of this applies to e-Golfs, if at all. 1) Does the rear axle cover (either long or short) not apply to the e-Golf because it's blocked by one of the e-Golf-specific trim pieces? 2) Is there anything OEM to cover the gap between the rear suspension and the bumper? 3) Failing an OEM solution, should the Verus Engineering rear diffuser fit the e-Golf and work to fill that gap?

Oh, and I'm really asking about 2019 e-Golfs if that matters. But I don't think it does.

Thanks!

e-golf is rare & virtually none of this thread applies to it as it has full undertrays.....

However...the MK8 aero covers for the lower rear arms (multilink suspension) will fit & improve the aero...& yes you are correct ..that VW left a very BIG air turbulence creating cavity (where the exhaust box is in petrol/diesel engine)....best solution is to buy the two brackets for the Passat (longer tray) rear axle cover (these fit to rear subframe next to anti-roll bar brackets), which will then give you two fixing points near to the rear of the last OEM tray..& then make a plastic/ABS tray from there to the rear bumper...you could also remove the lower black part of the rear bumper & continue the tray & angle it upwards like a diffuser...

You could also fit the Tiguan cover for the metal front subframe...or try the MK8 Golf full aero tray which also covers the front subframe, but requires some (bodging) to fix to the rear two points as its made for the Audi aluminium subframe...

Your underside for e-Golf..(picture supplied by a forum member (B3mt1))

Volkswagen Golf VII e-Golf Overview UnderBody with aerodynamics screens_6.jpg

Last edited:

marketroid

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SEL
e-golf is rare & virtually none of this thread applies to it as it has full undertrays.....

However...the MK8 aero covers for the lower rear arms (multilink suspension) will fit & improve the aero...& yes you are correct ..that VW left a very BIG air turbulence creating cavity (where the exhaust box is in petrol/diesel engine)....best solution is to buy the two brackets for the Passat (longer tray) rear axle cover (these fit to rear subframe next to anti-roll bar brackets), which will then give you two fixing points near to the rear of the last OEM tray..& then make a plastic/ABS tray from there to the rear bumper...you could also remove the lower black part of the rear bumper & continue the tray & angle it upwards like a diffuser...

You could also fit the Tiguan cover for the metal front subframe...or try the MK8 Golf full aero tray which also covers the front subframe, but requires some (bodging) to fix to the rear two points as its made for the Audi aluminium subframe...

Your underside for e-Golf..(picture supplied by a forum member (B3mt1))

View attachment 189016

Thanks for all the information and the picture (and the thread in general). I am planning on the lower arm covers and I'll take a look at the Tiguan cover thread. Making an underbody panel seems somewhat daunting, but seems like that is the option that's left. If I walk that path maybe I'll document it in a separate DIY thread.

It seems really strange to me that they left area uncovered given how solid they made the rest of the underbody, but what do I know?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for all the information and the picture (and the thread in general). I am planning on the lower arm covers and I'll take a look at the Tiguan cover thread. Making an underbody panel seems somewhat daunting, but seems like that is the option that's left. If I walk that path maybe I'll document it in a separate DIY thread.

It seems really strange to me that they left area uncovered given how solid they made the rest of the underbody, but what do I know?

No problems...& yes masses of stuff that VAG does is all down to that last 10% & its MONEY...saving costs..

One last idea...the long (wide) rear axle cover from the Passat that I have which requires those two brackets might fit with the front leading edge trimmed off as the last VAG panel on your car uses the subframe cross bar as its rearmost support...which is what the Passat tray uses as its front most support...

marketroid

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SEL
No problems...& yes masses of stuff that VAG does is all down to that last 10% & its MONEY...saving costs..

One last idea...the long (wide) rear axle cover from the Passat that I have which requires those two brackets might fit with the front leading edge trimmed off as the last VAG panel on your car uses the subframe cross bar as its rearmost support...which is what the Passat tray uses as its front most support...

How much of the leading edge would have to come off and do you think I could then use that rear axle cover as the front attachment point of a homemade ABS cover to the rear bumper?

Also, what about the cover mentioned in https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ds-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/page-23#post-6660099? Too big to fit the space or just wrong underbody to make it work?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How much of the leading edge would have to come off and do you think I could then use that rear axle cover as the front attachment point of a homemade ABS cover to the rear bumper?

Also, what about the cover mentioned in https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ds-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/page-23#post-6660099? Too big to fit the space or just wrong underbody to make it work?

That other part is for the CNG tanks & these have a separate frame to hold that protection cover.....I recon it would require modification etc to fit...

Anything that you do will have to be an experimental trial..& as I don't have an e-Golf I don't know how much of those parts you will have to cut off other than what I can see in the photos...

I still think you best bet is to use the Passat brackets & make your own tray...

The Versus rear diffuser would fit, but its made for cars with an exhaust box..yours does not have this so there may be some trimming required to the cars black plastic rear valance...but as it fits under the exhaust box, there may be NO alterations required & its a straight fit!....I am not 100% certain, but I have looked at the installation manual..

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Looking at ordering all the bits, does this list look about right?
5Q0825229C front exhaust tray
5Q0825206C rear exhaust tray
5WA501713 mk8 axle tray
1K0501682 bracket
5Q0501733 axle guard
5Q0501734 axle guard

Plus the necessary clips, screws etc.

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
The plastic cover does not fit the mk7.5 GPF equipped cars (Both GTI and R). For them you will have to get the metal cover, and even that may be a tight fit..

Attachments

• Center Tunnel Cover Install.png
    Center Tunnel Cover Install.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 355
  • GPF and Plastic Tray.jpg
    GPF and Plastic Tray.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 406

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The plastic cover does not fit the mk7.5 GPF equipped cars (Both GTI and R). For them you will have to get the metal cover, and even that may be a tight fit..

I did state in post no3:- "Those which have a front section exhaust catalyst are supposed to use the short cover, as their catalyst is in the way as fitted between the brace & the engine subframe.".....

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
Yet looks like same fitment..let us know how it fits on a UK car..it should be the same...& the part number & cost....I'll then update the info as then two confirmed fits...one on NAR spec the other on UK/Euro spec...
A parcel of goodies arrived today, took longer than expected due to supplier awaiting for a couple of parts arrive. I shall have some fun installing all these parts but first up will be the harmonic dampener.

Tried to cancel the 1K0501713C but they wouldn't let me so I'll offer it up and see how it fits. If it's not too great then I'll try and flog it to a Mk5/Mk6 owner.

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_213712.jpg
    IMG_20201023_213712.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 356

marketroid

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SEL
That other part is for the CNG tanks & these have a separate frame to hold that protection cover.....I recon it would require modification etc to fit...

Anything that you do will have to be an experimental trial..& as I don't have an e-Golf I don't know how much of those parts you will have to cut off other than what I can see in the photos...

I still think you best bet is to use the Passat brackets & make your own tray...

The Versus rear diffuser would fit, but its made for cars with an exhaust box..yours does not have this so there may be some trimming required to the cars black plastic rear valance...but as it fits under the exhaust box, there may be NO alterations required & its a straight fit!....I am not 100% certain, but I have looked at the installation manual..

Thanks again for all the info! Another question: think there's any aero advantage in fitting the RS3 brake air guides on the e-Golf?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks again for all the info! Another question: think there's any aero advantage in fitting the RS3 brake air guides on the e-Golf?

no aero advantage...its for directing air to the brakes, but its more aero than the older Audi TT flaps/guides which I had fitted & hang more below the arm & cause aero drag...

If you really want loads of aero its narrow section tyres, remove mudflaps & lower the suspension...all these reduce the frontal cross sectional area of the car....i.e lie on ground in front of car what you see is the frontal area which has to push through the air...narrow tyres have less frontal area..lowering the suspension pushes the tyres into the wheel arch's so less tyre is shown on the frontal area....same for removing wing mirrors (yes I know illegal, but Audi has digital cameras on the new cars as optional extras..)...less frontal area...