GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have no idea if your oil pan will interfere with the VW skid tray...if it interferes with it, it will likely do so with the other skid trays as they make to fit the VW oil pan...however I think most oil pan brands make to fit the full thin aero tray, so it should be OK.

The front exhaust tunnel tray, if you are trying to fit the long cover, you will have to bend the side wings, & you can buy the cross bar that the 2wd have & use longer bolts & bolt it to the propshaft support bracket..I state part numbers in the how to guide at the beginning of this thread..

Versus are the only people that I know of who make a big rear diffuser...

bruce0293

My front tunnel cover saw speeds over 140mph at Watkins Glen. No issues but it was secured with reinforced Thomas and Betts cable ties rather than pins

I've only been running the Verus rear diffuser for a week but it seems to work well at high speeds. I'm looking forward to testing it out soon on track :)
Do you have any pictures of it on the car? Kindly spoken, how does it feel different, if you can explain.

bruce0293

I have no idea if your oil pan will interfere with the VW skid tray...if it interferes with it, it will likely do so with the other skid trays as they make to fit the VW oil pan...however I think most oil pan brands make to fit the full thin aero tray, so it should be OK.

The front exhaust tunnel tray, if you are trying to fit the long cover, you will have to bend the side wings, & you can buy the cross bar that the 2wd have & use longer bolts & bolt it to the propshaft support bracket..I state part numbers in the how to guide at the beginning of this thread..

Versus are the only people that I know of who make a big rear diffuser...
Thank you

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Anyone aware of any fitment issues with using the FRP skid plate with brackets and a CTS FMIC? Based on the pictures here, the IC hoses don't appear to sit any lower than the stock ones.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Anyone aware of any fitment issues with using the FRP skid plate with brackets and a CTS FMIC? Based on the pictures here, the IC hoses don't appear to sit any lower than the stock ones.
I don't believe it's a height issue. The brackets that are added and mount to the front of the plate will block a FMIC's hoses.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
How so? The FMIC hoses follow the same path as the stock ones, except that they go to the front of the IC stack instead of the middle. Is there a fitment diagram or picture that shows where the brackets go? I haven't been able to find one yet.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I installed the rear axle cover today after having the parts laying around for a few months. Super easy installation. Just one comment: the plastic panel has molded in half-circles in the middle that mate up to the bottom of the rear tubular subframe member. If I banged on the panel with my fists, it created a slight rattle where the plastic touches the subframe member. I was concerned that going over bumps, it could rattle. I placed two thin strips of 1/8" adhesive backed foam strips to the half-circles to cushion the interaction with the subframe.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I installed the rear axle cover today after having the parts laying around for a few months. Super easy installation. Just one comment: the plastic panel has molded in half-circles in the middle that mate up to the bottom of the rear tubular subframe member. If I banged on the panel with my fists, it created a slight rattle where the plastic touches the subframe member. I was concerned that going over bumps, it could rattle. I placed two thin strips of 1/8" adhesive backed foam strips to the half-circles to cushion the interaction with the subframe.

Glad you finally got if fitted....& the "noise reduction" tip on the part..!!..:cool:

GolfAlltrack

Looking to fit the underbody tray 3Q0 199 110 B to cover up the exposed subframe and also install and install 5Q0 825 229 C as I already have the engine tray 5Q0 825 902B installed from the factory. I think all Golf Alltracks already got this installed from the factory if I'm not mistakened. At least in the USA market.

However my only concern with 5Q0 825 229 C is the heat from that catatlyic converter that would be covered by this. Has anyone done this on their 1.8T? I'm located in the USA.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Looking to fit the OEM Skid plate (5Q0 825 902C) to my 2018 MK7.5 GTI DSG as well, my only slight worry is that covering the oil pan (sump) up (whilst protecting it) will increase oil temperatures as the sump won't be getting the air flow over it sas below.

For anyone that's fitted this, can they comment if it made any difference ot the oil temps please ? It does make me wonder if that's part of the reason why VW only installed a short one on the performance Golfs was to give the oil pan (sump) a direct air flow to keep temperatures down ?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Looking to fit the OEM Skid plate (5Q0 825 902C) to my 2018 MK7.5 GTI DSG as well, my only slight worry is that covering the oil pan (sump) up (whilst protecting it) will increase oil temperatures as the sump won't be getting the air flow over it sas below.

For anyone that's fitted this, can they comment if it made any difference ot the oil temps please ? It does make me wonder if that's part of the reason why VW only installed a short one on the performance Golfs was to give the oil pan (sump) a direct air flow to keep temperatures down ?
Why not get the vented version?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/baffle/3q0825236c/

That's what I run. I think the oil temp thing is a non-issue. Plenty of vehicles run full belly pans with no issue. It is most likely just a cost cutting measure.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
However my only concern with 5Q0 825 229 C is the heat from that catatlyic converter that would be covered by this. Has anyone done this on their 1.8T? I'm located in the USA.

That one should have the heat reflecting foil on the reverse..so it should be ok....also the air flow from the duct in the full skid tray goes down the engine bay & actually flows down the exhaust tunnel...to cool it...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

VW only fit then barest minimum...go look at the underside of the high end Audis...total flat aero trays underneith....

I recommend the one with a single duct..& DO NOT recommend the no-duct version...

These trays are designed for this car & are fitted as standard in certain countries around the world.....in Germany you can order any MK7 Golf with the full skid tray & other panels as its called "rough road protection"...I did talk about this in the start of this thread...& I've been running mine for 5yrs now...now problems..& no increase in oil temps....

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

I have the non-vented skid plate on my '18R and have run multiple track days with it on. No oil temp issues. I'm only running a jb4 map 1, so I'm not generating as much heat as stage 2 or higher cars.

Probably the only difference I see is the oil temp sensor starts displaying oil temp about an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile earlier on my commute. It's really negligible and doubt cooling is the reason for not offering it.