GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Yes I noted that too. Perhaps your observations and a couple others about the metal skid plate haveing potential for bending up into engine spurred the addition of bar.
Having run both the oem skid and the ecs engine skid over a couple rocks they seem to be equally sturdy, with a slight advantage to the metal plate for the mounting point items I mentioned.

Are you referring to the two rectangular cut out holes (see pic below- cooling for DSG?)?

If so I thought about your observations and note they have tabs bent slightly in that a guy could hammer flat and seal with say duct tape- not very elegant but keep water and gravel getting forced up in theirif one were-fording streams...

I decided NOT to as I notice the engine compartment gets pretty hot as is in SoCal desert camping so that bit of airflow makes up for some lost putting on tunnel skid.

View attachment 161628
Now Dave what we Alltrack guys REALLY need is a way to better protect those vulnerable gas tanks...they hang so low that metal plates added on would decrease ground clearance...and cant see handy bracket mounts points either.
E618BB15-CF30-42F2-ADAD-E132A429E774.jpeg
E618BB15-CF30-42F2-ADAD-E132A429E774.jpeg

Question: has VW Europe got anything new in plastic aero trays since you put this guide together years ago? I read the whole thing then but that was missing and unlikely to be added, back then as I recall... for now I just take a line that puts the sharpest tallest rock dead center to hit the engine and tunnel skid, vs bounce off lower control arms and gas tanks...
Already running max 27" tires - max fit without rubbing.
next is a 1" lift and thats about all we can do, short of cutting fenders and running even bigger tires...? but if I recall DAP maxed out at 27.5"dia on their RallyTrack just barely clearing the shocks, so no MonsterTruck AllTracks...

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are you referring to the two rectangular cut out holes (see pic below- cooling for DSG?)?

NO.....I am referring to the fact I can see the horizontal reinforcing bar behind the skid tray...its the big holes in the ECS tray where on the VW tray is has the front brackets pairs of bolt holes...

& VW has not made anything for the rear..& nothing changes in Europe or anywhere for the last MK7.5.....

MK8 is a different story.....as it uses the aluminium front subframe from the Audi A3....

& I have a write up to finish for the front subframe cover...(Tiguan)....which works but requires drilling holes in the subframe

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
"

VW has not made anything for the rear..& nothing changes in Europe or anywhere for the last MK7.5....."

Thanks,Dave

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
"

VW has not made anything for the rear..& nothing changes in Europe or anywhere for the last MK7.5....."

Thanks,Dave

But I did a new guide using the Tiguan front subframe cover....which may, or may not be replaced by whatever the MK8 Golf has.....;)

2019GolfR

Hello all,

I want to thank everyone for so much detailed information about the skid trays, etc. This is an exhausting amount of information. Since so much has changed over the past few years with part numbers, etc. I want to make 100% sure I am ordering the right thing for my 2019 Golf R 6 mt transmission. I want the OEM skid tray (the thicker one) and all supporting hardware that is required. I see that ECS and FCP Euro offer them in a kit. But, their prices are pretty high. Is there a way for me to order what I need and shipped to me here in the US cheaper? Could someone verify the correct part numbers that I will need for my 2019 Golf R 6 mt?

Are these correct for my 2019 R 6 mt?

I was also considering the cheaper AERO option rather than the GRP option. Is something like the AERO better than not having anything at all aside from the OEM splash guard that doesn't even cover the pan?

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello all,

I want to thank everyone for so much detailed information about the skid trays, etc. This is an exhausting amount of information. Since so much has changed over the past few years with part numbers, etc. I want to make 100% sure I am ordering the right thing for my 2019 Golf R 6 mt transmission. I want the OEM skid tray (the thicker one) and all supporting hardware that is required. I see that ECS and FCP Euro offer them in a kit. But, their prices are pretty high. Is there a way for me to order what I need and shipped to me here in the US cheaper? Could someone verify the correct part numbers that I will need for my 2019 Golf R 6 mt?

Are these correct for my 2019 R 6 mt?

I was also considering the cheaper AERO option rather than the GRP option. Is something like the AERO better than not having anything at all aside from the OEM splash guard that doesn't even cover the pan?

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

The thicker reinforced GRP (also has Kevlar/aramid in it) is very tough, & the more expensive option......the thin plastic aero tray is known as "diesel noise insulation", as it is usually fitted to diesel cars to make them quieter...take your pick...

The only other trays you can fit is the short front exhaust tunnel tray (not shown but mentioned)

For short cover (GTE & 4WD):-
Item No.14:- 5Q0 825 230 J
, Lining (cover) short length, £??.?? (x1)
Item No.15:- N 038 549 4, Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x2) (Use these ones for the most secure fit, October 2018 EDIT)
Item No.16:- N909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.17 (x2)

2019GolfR

The thicker reinforced GRP (also has Kevlar/aramid in it) is very tough, & the more expensive option......the thin plastic aero tray is known as "diesel noise insulation", as it is usually fitted to diesel cars to make them quieter...take your pick...

The only other trays you can fit is the short front exhaust tunnel tray (not shown but mentioned)

For short cover (GTE & 4WD):-
Item No.14:- 5Q0 825 230 J
, Lining (cover) short length, £??.?? (x1)
Item No.15:- N 038 549 4, Black plastic push rivet A04A, £0.18 (x2) (Use these ones for the most secure fit, October 2018 EDIT)
Item No.16:- N909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.17 (x2)

Hey GolfDave, thanks for the reply. Can you confirm that 3Q0825902B will work on my 19 R? I found a wholesale dealer selling it for a good price. When I search this part on ECS tuning it does show that it has a duct for cooling unlike what was stated before about the version without this duct. Any thoughts?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey GolfDave, thanks for the reply. Can you confirm that 3Q0825902B will work on my 19 R? I found a wholesale dealer selling it for a good price. When I search this part on ECS tuning it does show that it has a duct for cooling unlike what was stated before about the version without this duct. Any thoughts?

I added the above number to my first post....& the item which was stated as having NO ducts started 5Q0...& that description is correct for number...

The item 3Q0825902B states for Alltrack..& has one duct & is the reinforced skid tray..& will fit your Golf...remember to the two brackets & the two bolts for the brackets & the seven bolts for the tray to the brackets...

2019GolfR

I added the above number to my first post....& the item which was stated as having NO ducts started 5Q0...& that description is correct for number...

The item 3Q0825902B states for Alltrack..& has one duct & is the reinforced skid tray..& will fit your Golf...remember to the two brackets & the two bolts for the brackets & the seven bolts for the tray to the brackets...
Dave, thanks again! I ordered the parts substantially cheaper than FCP Euro and ECS Tuning from a wholesale wv parts dealer. Once I receive my parts I will share where I got them from in case us boys in the US want to place a similar order. It was free shipping and no tax as well, which is a big deal. Saved me about $80 US off the total price. I appreciate your quick responses and your wealth of knowledge! Cheers!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I had the OEM aero-bits installed on my 2017 Golf Sportscombi/Variant/Estate/Sportswagen upon delivery in August 2016. (Most recently posted here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...tone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/post-6659942)
My car is a Swedish-spec GT with DCC, so the suspension, brakes, and ride height match the non-PP GTI. The engine is the 1.4l TSI, 150hp, with a 6-speed manual. I fill it with the highest octane fuel that is available locally (Shell V-Power, aka Nitro in other places, >98 octane) to get a bit of extra power without the need for mechanical or electronic enhancement.

Since taking delivery we have driven just over 70 000 km (43 500 miles) using just over 4521 liters (1194 US gallons, 994 UK gallons) of fuel. Our average fuel economy is 6.48 liters per 100 km (36.3 US MPG, 43.6 UK MPG). I am very pleased with the highway economy in particular. One one day last summer I drove 287 mostly highway km including extended cruising at about 140 km/h (87 MPH) while burning only 16.94 liters of fuel, which worked out to 5.9 liters per 100 km (39.8 US MPG, 47.8 UK MPG).

As the aero-bits have been mounted since day one I can make no A/B comparisons regarding relative fuel economy, noise levels, stability at speed, or top speed, but I would like to think that having them does some good in all of those respects. I can report that everything remains solidly mounted after several snowy winters and a short speed burst that was slightly faster than the one reported by golfdave (but not as fast as the track speeds noted by others!), and nothing has proven to be troublesome through 3 factory service intervals and yearly safety inspections.

I remain very pleased with the car, and I plan to hang on to it for a while yet, at least until VW rolls out the Mk.8 GTE wagon with 242 hp! Hopefully golfdave will have an updated guide for that vehicle by the time I am ready to take delivery!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I had the OEM aero-bits installed on my 2017 Golf Sportscombi/Variant/Estate/Sportswagen upon delivery in August 2016. (Most recently posted here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...tone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/post-6659942)
My car is a Swedish-spec GT with DCC, so the suspension, brakes, and ride height match the non-PP GTI. The engine is the 1.4l TSI, 150hp, with a 6-speed manual. I fill it with the highest octane fuel that is available locally (Shell V-Power, aka Nitro in other places, >98 octane) to get a bit of extra power without the need for mechanical or electronic enhancement.

Since taking delivery we have driven just over 70 000 km (43 500 miles) using just over 4521 liters (1194 US gallons, 994 UK gallons) of fuel. Our average fuel economy is 6.48 liters per 100 km (36.3 US MPG, 43.6 UK MPG). I am very pleased with the highway economy in particular. One one day last summer I drove 287 mostly highway km including extended cruising at about 140 km/h (87 MPH) while burning only 16.94 liters of fuel, which worked out to 5.9 liters per 100 km (39.8 US MPG, 47.8 UK MPG).

As the aero-bits have been mounted since day one I can make no A/B comparisons regarding relative fuel economy, noise levels, stability at speed, or top speed, but I would like to think that having them does some good in all of those respects. I can report that everything remains solidly mounted after several snowy winters and a short speed burst that was slightly faster than the one reported by golfdave (but not as fast as the track speeds noted by others!), and nothing has proven to be troublesome through 3 factory service intervals and yearly safety inspections.

I remain very pleased with the car, and I plan to hang on to it for a while yet, at least until VW rolls out the Mk.8 GTE wagon with 242 hp! Hopefully golfdave will have an updated guide for that vehicle by the time I am ready to take delivery!

Very good report!...….

As you know I have the 140PS version of your car, & use the same Shell fuel.

I have seen 52mpg (UK) (5.4lts/100km) on a long motorway journey (320miles/514km).....& now regularly see 46mpg (UK) (6.1lts/100km) on 36mile trips.

As for the Mk8 Golf, VW have been watching my threads I think!. The new 2019-> Polo & Tiguan both have fully covered undersides! I had a new Polo as a courtesy car whilst I had a new timing belt fitted to mine. I jacked the car up & looked underneath!!!..WOW everything is covered, suspension, engine bay, subframe, the whole lot!. Same with the Tiguan that I have seen in pictures.

So I recon the whole underside of the Mk8 Golf will be the same!

Anyway I'll be keeping my Mk7 for hopefully another 10yrs!....

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Very good report!...….

As you know I have the 140PS version of your car, & use the same Shell fuel.

I have seen 52mpg (UK) (5.4lts/100km) on a long motorway journey (320miles/514km).....& now regularly see 46mpg (UK) (6.1lts/100km) on 36mile trips.

As for the Mk8 Golf, VW have been watching my threads I think!. The new 2019-> Polo & Tiguan both have fully covered undersides! I had a new Polo as a courtesy car whilst I had a new timing belt fitted to mine. I jacked the car up & looked underneath!!!..WOW everything is covered, suspension, engine bay, subframe, the whole lot!. Same with the Tiguan that I have seen in pictures.

So I recon the whole underside of the Mk8 Golf will be the same!

Anyway I'll be keeping my Mk7 for hopefully another 10yrs!....

There are a few things that I neglected to mention that have reduced my overall fuel economy.

Every summer we put a Thule rack on the car whenever we need to take my SUP and my wife's sea kayak to get out on the water. This probably only adds up to 1000-3000 km per season, and I am good about taking the rack off between trips, but it does increase the fuel burn.

Because we live in Sweden, I ordered the car with the OEM auxiliary gasoline-fired heater (from Webasto, I believe). It includes an app which enables us to program when we would like the car to be warm, and how warm we would like it to be. It is integrated with the car's heater/defroster, and it works by pre-heating the coolant. I LOVE getting into a warm car without having to scrape ice from the windows, and the oil comes up to working temperature considerably faster as well. I use it pretty much whenever the temperature is near or below freezing. This burns a tiny bit of extra gasoline, but in addition to making life much more comfortable, it is also likely to reduce wear on the engine by minimizing the negative effects of cold starts. The car would be lighter, less expensive, less complicated, and more fuel-efficient without it, but it is much more enjoyable with it!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Because we live in Sweden, I ordered the car with the OEM auxiliary gasoline-fired heater (from Webasto, I believe). It includes an app which enables us to program when we would like the car to be warm, and how warm we would like it to be. It is integrated with the car's heater/defroster, and it works by pre-heating the coolant. I LOVE getting into a warm car without having to scrape ice from the windows, and the oil comes up to working temperature considerably faster as well. I use it pretty much whenever the temperature is near or below freezing. This burns a tiny bit of extra gasoline, but in addition to making life much more comfortable, it is also likely to reduce wear on the engine by minimizing the negative effects of cold starts. The car would be lighter, less expensive, less complicated, and more fuel-efficient without it, but it is much more enjoyable with it!

Oh, I'm jealous. There is no such OEM option in the US, even though we have states that get as cold as (or nearly as cold as) Sweden! I'd be all over that if it were offered in the US.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Oh, I'm jealous. There is no such OEM option in the US, even though we have states that get as cold as (or nearly as cold as) Sweden! I'd be all over that if it were offered in the US.

Loads of retro-fits on the drive.rus forum...not too difficult to do...