GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Just wondering where US based people are buying the 3Q0825902 or equivalent skid plate from? Everywhere I've looked it's 3-400$, is that the going rate now?

I'd suggest e-acca as others have mentioned.

Otherwise, check the various European EBay's for one and ask if the seller will ship. It's a skid tray - used should be fine as long as it didn't take a massive hit or something and got damaged.

Rezzor

Thanks guy. I ended up ordering the aero tray, front and rear exhaust cover from e-acca for under $150. Their ordering process is a bit mysterious but I think I've successfully ordered and paid.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks guy. I ended up ordering the aero tray, front and rear exhaust cover from e-acca for under $150. Their ordering process is a bit mysterious but I think I've successfully ordered and paid.

I just order via my dealer part dept sales counter...plus I have known the parts guy since about 1996....:cool:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
I just order via my dealer part dept sales counter...plus I have known the parts guy since about 1996....:cool:

In the US, the parts have a huge price markup so just popping by the local dealer for parts, while possible, doesn't come cheap. Even with international shipping, it's usually cheaper to purchase overseas.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Can someone check to make sure I have the right parts? It seems like some of the part numbers have slightly changed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 5.00.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 5.00.25 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 295

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I performed these modifications on my MK7 2016 Golf Wagon. Now I've recently purchased a MK7.5 2019 GTI and will do the same. Any tips that are GTI specific?

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi guys,

Done this modification and I have decided to measure the difference before and after.

I own 2.0TDI so I already have front aerodynamic skid tray and that is why there is not a big difference when we are talking about numbers. Also, measurement is still in progress as you can see from the the numbers I don't have same sample size as before.

Here below you can find results

120 km/h --> 59 dbA, 71.3 dbZ (OEM, 14 samples); 58.4 dbA, 70.8 dbZ (modification, 6 samples)
130 km/h --> 60.5 dbA, 72.1 dbZ (OEM, 15 samples); 59.4 dbA, 71 dbZ (modification, 8 samples)
140 km/h --> 61.5 dbA, 73 dbZ (OEM, 17 samples); 61.1 dbA, 72.6 dbZ (modification, 6 samples)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I performed these modifications on my MK7 2016 Golf Wagon. Now I've recently purchased a MK7.5 2019 GTI and will do the same. Any tips that are GTI specific?

The rear axle cover from the Passat will not fit & you require the older short axle cover from the MK5/6......that's it...

I take it the wagon was the "R"??..if so you can now fit the front section exhaust tunnel tray to the GTI..below the gearstick area...AWD gets in the way & doesn't have the bracket unless you retrofitted it to the wagon..

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Hey Golfdave

Back in the first page you mentioned going up to 52 MPGs on a trip. I’m assuming that’s British MPGs, any update on average consumption on long trips?

My MK6 Jetta averaged 35 MPGs (USA), my MK7.5 GTI probably averages 31 on ECO drive mode so any gains would be awesome. Do you recommend a specific set of plates for my MK7.5 GTI or just do the whole thing?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey Golfdave

Back in the first page you mentioned going up to 52 MPGs on a trip. I’m assuming that’s British MPGs, any update on average consumption on long trips?

My MK6 Jetta averaged 35 MPGs (USA), my MK7.5 GTI probably averages 31 on ECO drive mode so any gains would be awesome. Do you recommend a specific set of plates for my MK7.5 GTI or just do the whole thing?

that was UK MPG.....& even on standard roads & not "Eco" long distance roads/trips I get 44 to 48MPG.....

I'm working on another mod undertray...but it might be affected by what is used under the MK8 Golf....& this would affect any full engine bay aero tray..

....The rear short axle MK6 golf for your car & also fit the front exhaust tunnel cover if not fitted...are not affected by the above...so safe to fit....

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like HumbleMechanic on YouTube may have been around here. Impressive the durability of the oem skid plate (strength testing near end of video).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looks like HumbleMechanic on YouTube may have been around here. Impressive the durability of the oem skid plate (strength testing near end of video).

That plate appears to flex.. mine feels as solid as a rock!!….mind you placing it flat & running over it is not testing it as it is mounted...he needs to support it under the main bolt holes on blocks then stand on it/or run over..I think in another thread there is a picture of two big blokes standing on one with it supported between two sets of bricks...

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
That plate appears to flex.. mine feels as solid as a rock!!….mind you placing it flat & running over it is not testing it as it is mounted...he needs to support it under the main bolt holes on blocks then stand on it/or run over..I think in another thread there is a picture of two big blokes standing on one with it supported between two sets of bricks...

i agree- the OEM Alltrack "plati-steel"-like engine skid tray is very solid- and good to go as is, as an upgrade to the shorter thinner plastic-only and thus flimsier under engine aero panels on GSWs, GTIs.

You can also replace that sturdier AT engine skid plate with ECS aluminum skid plate which (golfdave originally scoffed at, but...)
now has a front reinforcing bar that adds more strength IMHO than OEM AT plate in two key areas:
A. Two bolts into the bar at leading edge of tray, that in addition to the alum tabs slotting into the front spoiler, which like the plasti- steel tans on OEM plate
Serve to add extra hold of the bar for front edge of aluminum skid plate from bending up, on an impact.
B. Bar bolts into core on the ends with two bolts replacing two OEM stamped metal brackets with only one bolt that attach the front corners of OEM plasti-steel plate.

You can also add the ECS tunnel skid plate as I did (which protects nothing on an MT, but continues the flat area further aft and is claimed to stiffen the body).

YMMV but its worth it to me for peace of mind, as an aftermarket aluminum metal engine skid plate on an older VW tdi saved me many times...
and I am fairly certain this setup saved me again only two weeks after install when I got hogbacked in a gravel wash out in the desert...?

...two hours of jacking with the itty bitty factory jack, digging out underneath with my trusty folding USA trenching tool...in 110degree heat, and

stacking rocks, wood under wheels to drive off on a firm surface, baja recovery style, and all I had was scratches on the skid plates, dirt all over me, and wounded pride ?

PS: I am safety oriented so I replaced plastic oil pan with a steel one plus mag drain plug...also ECS.

Two oil changes later after more bumpy roads, including same road as before, plus a whifferdill thru an interstate median swale on a u-turn thru some tall grass...that *may* have contributed to that itty bitty silver piece on lower edge of front grill popping off, last seen pin-wheeling thru the air in rear view mirror over UTAH vibration strips on I-15...

(i digress, another story...)

tldr the skid plates are holding up, worth every penny for peace of mind!

Attachments

• 5256BDED-5EE1-4864-9D10-1D7ABDA69DD5.jpeg
    5256BDED-5EE1-4864-9D10-1D7ABDA69DD5.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i agree- the OEM Alltrack "plati-steel"-like engine skid tray is very solid- and good to go as is, as an upgrade to the shorter thinner plastic-only and thus flimsier under engine aero panels on GSWs, GTIs.

You can also replace that sturdier AT engine skid plate with ECS aluminum skid plate which (golfdave originally scoffed at, but...)
now has a front reinforcing bar that adds more strength IMHO than OEM AT plate in two key areas:
A. Two bolts into the bar at leading edge of tray, that in addition to the alum tabs slotting into the front spoiler, which like the plasti- steel tans on OEM plate
Serve to add extra hold of the bar for front edge of aluminum skid plate from bending up, on an impact.
B. Bar bolts into core on the ends with two bolts replacing two OEM stamped metal brackets with only one bolt that attach the front corners of OEM plasti-steel plate.

I find it funny ;)..that ECS made the bar & additional mounting brackets way after I complained on here about their skid tray!...There is still a slight problem with theirs...& that is the gapping holes at the front where the brackets are...so not that good for aero compared to the VW skid tray.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I find it funny ;)..that ECS made the bar & additional mounting brackets way after I complained on here about their skid tray!...There is still a slight problem with theirs...& that is the gapping holes at the front where the brackets are...so not that good for aero compared to the VW skid tray.
Yes I noted that too. Perhaps your observations and a couple others about the metal skid plate haveing potential for bending up into engine spurred the addition of bar.
Having run both the oem skid and the ecs engine skid over a couple rocks they seem to be equally sturdy, with a slight advantage to the metal plate for the mounting point items I mentioned.

Are you referring to the two rectangular cut out holes (see pic below- cooling for DSG?)?

If so I thought about your observations and note they have tabs bent slightly in that a guy could hammer flat and seal with say duct tape- not very elegant but keep water and gravel getting forced up in there IF one were fording a lot of streams...really

I decided NOT to as I notice the engine compartment gets pretty hot as is in SoCal desert camping so that bit of airflow makes up for some lost putting on tunnel skid.

7919AA9A-E256-4AEB-BC23-B1E0CBDA798D.jpeg

Last edited: