GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

17GOLFSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf SE
How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

There’s only one left!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142500207743

svj

After following this tread for a long time I finally decided to go ahead and install 3 out of 4 trays. Special thanks to golfdave, I literally just followed your steps, ordered the part numbers and did the install in less than an hour.
I love the result, and should definitely have been in my GTI to begin with!
Before:

And after:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
After following this tread for a long time I finally decided to go ahead and install 3 out of 4 trays. Special thanks to golfdave, I literally just followed your steps, ordered the part numbers and did the install in less than an hour.
I love the result, and should definitely have been in my GTI to begin with!

Glad you got them fitted & yes VW could & should have fitted them at the factory... better mpg without any "cheat" devices...

Like your photos...very good, but then you have a nice "scaffold" ramp/stand setup...:cool:

Henrythelam

Anyone noticed an increase in oil temperature after installing these plates?

Still struggling whether I wanted to remove all plates for a cooler oil temperature or keep it closed for aero effect, if any

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9550 發送

MK7Boostedbliss

Passed Driver's Ed

Anyone noticed an increase in oil temperature after installing these plates?

Still struggling whether I wanted to remove all plates for a cooler oil temperature or keep it closed for aero effect, if any

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9550 發送

I didn’t get the nuclear blast version but the thinner version. It has the DSG vent and has drainage holes in various locations. The one I got is 3Q0 825 236C

I was very reluctant to get the heavy duty version as he noticed oil temps going up a tad. I have NOT seen any temp increases since adding the thinner shield it hits 110 in the summer by me so it’s a valid concern for me. The “thinner” shield is the same thickness pretty much every car on the road and others I’ve owned over the years so it fit my needs perfect. It was under $100 for everything

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
A Tad...about 2 to 4C...

I can confirm that since I have closed the slam panel off (GTE version)…& thus created as closed an engine bay as possible that yes on a hot day I will after a hot run lift the engine hood up..& let it cool off...…...Oil temps max I have seen are still constant 94 to 98C...….highs of 102 to 108C.....

cooling system is working all ok...no high temp error messages etc...

Mind you as I heat shielded the intake pipework the car is drawing in cooler air...so that helps to keep the temps down in summer....

Bear in mind that mine is a closed off (almost) as the GTE which has my engine & a load of hybrid electrics stuffed around it...& that gets HOT!....

pschwa

Further considerations on fitting:-
Forum member “fullyswitched” suggests alternative VW push rivets for Item No.15.
8E0 825 267:- These allow you to pull the centre pin out using a right angle pick or pair or specialized pliers.
4D0 807 300:- These have a three position pin. The centre pin is more or less captive during use. The three pin positions are proud/unlocked, flush/locked, indented/unlocked. Once installed the pin pressure is released by pushing the pin further in to step over an internal notch & now the push rivet can be extracted by pulling. The pin is reset when the rivet is removed.

First, thanks golfdave for the excellent write-up. I am actually in the process of implementing many of the mods he has documented on my 2018 NAR Golf Alltrack SEL, which is why I ended up with all three types of push rivets suggested for the exhaust cover.

I do have one clarification/correction. In short, only use the type of push rivet specified in the catalog drawing - part # N 038 549 4 - and not either of the two alternatives suggested in the above quote. I thought the three-position rivet sounded cool, so I ordered that, but found that the non-expanding portion of the rivet was too long and allowed for excessive play. The same is true of the pick-removable rivet.

The specified push rivet allows for both a tighter and a more secure connection, as the pin is much tighter in the rivet than either of the suggested alternatives. See the photos below of all three option in both the open and closed positions, shown left to right in the order they are mentioned in the write-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
First, thanks golfdave for the excellent write-up. I am actually in the process of implementing many of the mods he has documented on my 2018 NAR Golf Alltrack SEL, which is why I ended up with all three types of push rivets suggested for the exhaust cover.

I do have one clarification/correction. In short, only use the type of push rivet specified in the catalog drawing - part # N 038 549 4 - and not either of the two alternatives suggested in the above quote. I thought the three-position rivet sounded cool, so I ordered that, but found that the non-expanding portion of the rivet was too long and allowed for excessive play. The same is true of the pick-removable rivet.

The specified push rivet allows for both a tighter and a more secure connection, as the pin is much tighter in the rivet than either of the suggested alternatives.

Many thanks for confirming 100% that VW specified the OEM one (original & not alternate) for a reason..

I'll modify the post...

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
For those of you like me trying to seal off the engine bay from critters and the elements; VW changed the front left lower fender liner as production went on. My '15 Golf(8/14 build) has no hole(5G0805911AA) towards the engine bay, but my '17 GSW(5/17 build) has a hole(5G0805911AK). There's only a few AA revisions left in the US as they were discontinued and superceeded by the AK revision.

5G0805911AK

5G0805911AA(pictured is a cheap "oe replacement," not genuine)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For those of you like me trying to seal off the engine bay from critters and the elements; VW changed the front left lower fender liner as production went on. My '15 Golf(8/14 build) has no hole(5G0805911AA) towards the engine bay, but my '17 GSW(5/17 build) has a hole(5G0805911AK). There's only a few AA revisions left in the US as they were discontinued and superceeded by the AK revision.

5G0805911AK

5G0805911AA(pictured is a cheap "oe replacement," not genuine)

NICE find.....:cool:

I know my gearbox is very close to the liner which is why they cut out the bit....

mind you I might run the part number past my trained parts bloke (at the dealership)..see if it has "replaced" all previous versions...;)

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
NICE find.....:cool:

I know my gearbox is very close to the liner which is why they cut out the bit....

mind you I might run the part number past my trained parts bloke (at the dealership)..see if it has "replaced" all previous versions...;)

From what we can tell all DSGs should have the hole in the side due to the size of the case. All early production 5 and 6 speed manuals should have the liner without a hole. I'm going to put some felt on the inside of the liner when it arrives just to be safe. I'll take some pics. I believe how it crosses over the axle is shaped a bit differently as well.

I keep finding acorns and other food bits on my skid tray so I'm doing my best to deter them. The across are really annoying because the shells roll around lol. Before I had the skid/aero tray on my '15 rodents chewed the oil level sensor harness. I'd like to not deal with that mess again lol.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
From what we can tell all DSGs should have the hole in the side due to the size of the case. All early production 5 and 6 speed manuals should have the liner without a hole.

Mines about 1yr into production (Sept 2014 build) & a 6speed manual...& I got a hole...

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I didn’t get the nuclear blast version but the thinner version. It has the DSG vent and has drainage holes in various locations. The one I got is 3Q0 825 236C

I was very reluctant to get the heavy duty version as he noticed oil temps going up a tad. I have NOT seen any temp increases since adding the thinner shield it hits 110 in the summer by me so it’s a valid concern for me. The “thinner” shield is the same thickness pretty much every car on the road and others I’ve owned over the years so it fit my needs perfect. It was under $100 for everything

I've noticed about 1deg C increase. I think I'm running the same version as you with the DSG vent on one side.

I've been tracking my Clubsport with the cover on all year with no issues. Ran on the weekend in 28deg C ambient temp and saw maximum oil temp of 125. I'm not tuned. I've hit temps this high before running the standard cover so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've noticed about 1deg C increase. I think I'm running the same version as you with the DSG vent on one side.

I've been tracking my Clubsport with the cover on all year with no issues. Ran on the weekend in 28deg C ambient temp and saw maximum oil temp of 125. I'm not tuned. I've hit temps this high before running the standard cover so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

VAG make these parts for all versions..just they are only spec'd by certain country importers...

eg VAG produce car with every option /legal requirement for any country in world.....each & every countries VW importer/HQ then chooses which parts it requires legally, & then selects the rest based on customer & marketing...this why spec & trim levels are so different...:cool: