GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Part VI
Rear lower arm stone guard/aerodynamic trim for Twist-Beam Rear Suspension.

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-var...hock-absorber/
Item No. 17:- 5Q0 501 559 "C" or "D", Stone chip guard for under side of trailing arm left side.
Item No. 17:- 5Q0 501 560 "C" or "D", Stone chip guard for underside of trailing right side.
Item No. 18:- 5Q0 501 561, Stone chip guard for top side of trailing arm left side.
Item No. 18:- 5Q0 501 562, Stone chip guard for top side of trailing arm right side.
Item No. ??:- 8E0 825 267, 8mm spreader rivet. Unknown quantity required.

These items I have not actually seen or fitted, but they appear on ETKA for the MK7 Golf with the Twist-beam rear suspension, so should fit & cover the trailing arm part of the rear twist beam.

I can confirm: these fit. However, on my car, it wasn't a perfect fit, because part 3 and 16 got in the way. 2 spreader rivets were needed, I added an additional cable tie for increased security. I ordered 5Q0501559C and 5Q0501560D, both of which had this same issue, so I had to trim the notches at the part that clicks into the spring seat.

Pics of it installed on my Leon ST (which is basically the same as Golf Variant with torsion bar rear suspension):

In this picture, you can also see the Golf 8 axle beam cover (5WA501715A ) installed. This was a perfect fit, and it lines up nicely with the lower arm covers.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I can confirm: these fit. However, on my car, it wasn't a perfect fit, because part 3 and 16 got in the way. 2 spreader rivets were needed, I added an additional cable tie for increased security. I ordered 5Q0501559C and 5Q0501560D, both of which had this same issue, so I had to trim the notches at the part that clicks into the spring seat.

Just for extra clarity, In PM's between myself & "Chillout" I sent copies of the ETKA parts list & a breakdown of the PR codes for the pasrt in that area.

It appears that VAG make & fit different versions of parts No16 above. This depends on if you have those covers fitted at the factory or not. To do a 100% retro-fit you would have to remove the rear springs & remove your part No16 (A) & fit the correct part No16 (B). Chillout had to cut his as one part had 5 holes & the other part had 6 pins, so they wouldn't fit. But a little cutting & extra cable ties appeared to solve it! (according to Chillout). He also had Item No.18 already fitted from factory.

Item 16

165Q0 525 691 Aclip2PR-1SA,1SB
(16)5Q0 525 691 Bclip2PR-1SK,1SL

PR-Code definitions:-
1SA = without additional front underbody guard
1SB = additional front underbody guard

1SK = additional engine & transmission guard & underbody stone guard
1SL = underbody stone guard

ITEM no.17

175Q0 501 559 Cstone chip guard
also use:
left
8E0 825 267
1PR-1JA+1SK,
1SL
(17)5Q0 501 560 Cstone chip guard
also use:
right
8E0 825 267
1PR-1JA+1SK,
1SL
175Q0 501 559 Dstone chip guard
also use:
left
8E0 825 267
1PR-1JC,1JD,
UC7+1SK,1SL
(17)5Q0 501 560 Dstone chip guard
also use:
right
8E0 825 267
1PR-1JC,1JD,

PR-Code definitions:-
1JA = rear shock basic design
1SK = additional engine & transmission guard & underbody stone guard
1SL = underbody stone guard

1JC = rear shock absorption for sports design
1JD = rear shock basic design 2
UC7 = rear shock absorption, chassis with increased ride height

Note there are two versions of both the left & right covers items no.17..

Note this is for cars without DCC dampers

ITEM no.18
185Q0 501 561stone chip guardleft1PR-1SA,1SB
(18)5Q0 501 562stone chip guardright1PR-1SA,1SB

All are shown as also for the Seat Leon & other MQB platform cars with torsion beam rear suspension.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Air guides from Audi, which can be mounted on the Golf 7 (not plug and play):

View attachment 196162 View attachment 196163

Air guides, where do those even mount? I'm sure since they are not a plug and play fitment that Dave is going to get on you about that. TBH with as much stuff as you have attempted to "make work" I believe you are better suited in making your own thread where discussions can take place about what would be required to make fit. I for one have no problems installing some thing that might take a little trimming or modification, but it would seem that Dave is not interested in seeing this on his post.

This doesn't mean I'm not interested lol. Just a recommendation.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In the same place where they are mounted on the A3 or e-tron.
Which is here... next time please provide part numbers too :rolleyes:

View attachment 196237

Basically "IRONICK" is saying that we rip out our existing scoop built into the bottom section of the front wheel arch liner in the same place which directs air from under the bumper & into the front wheel arch...& replace with that Audi part (No.46)....

WHY????

Obviously "IRONICK" hasn't seen & understood the underside of a MK7 Golf....& is basically posting useless & irrelevant stuff....AGAIN..!!!!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here is a picture from the web of the Audi e-tron. I have circled & arrowed the above item which IRONICK states we should fit to our MK7 Golf.

As you can CLEARLY see, this item is NOT an air scoop, but an air DEFLECTOR, as it hangs down from the underside of the front bumper/lip. Its purpose is to smooth the air flow around the tyre, by making the change in shape from the flat underside of the bumper/lip to the tyre less severe, thus reducing air turbulence.

In the MK7 Golf we have this item's shape reversed & up & in the bumper/lip. On the MK7 this is a air DUCT/SCOOP which directs air flow into the wheel arch to help cool the brakes. The Audi e-tron has regenerative braking, therefore there is less strain on the actual disc brakes....& they also have a bigger scoop further up the bumper which may (I don't know for certain) direct air into the wheel arch.

So you (IRONICK) want us to blank OFF our air scoop & BLOCK air from getting into the wheel arch??!!..WHY???

This thread I started as a way of posting MY how to guides on actual modifications of the underside & the skid trays. These items I have actually done.....this thread has also been further added to by others who have also DONE actual retro-fits using other relevant parts & have included part numbers, etc.

You (IRONICK) are just trolling this thread by repeatedly posting up irrelevant, useless, ill thought out, guesswork, posts/pictures...

GO start your OWN thread if you think your "info" needs to be shared!!

Audi e-tron air guide.jpg

Last edited: