GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't forget to get a functional diffuser with proper engineering behind it

of course...he is looking at the Versus engineering diffuser but that's made for the cars with exhausts..his has no exhaust as the e-golf.....as I said in a previous post it should fit, but there might be trimming of the black rear valance...

VW missed a trick with the e-Golf by NOT making a big rear diffuser which would be able to cut/angle into the rear bumper & "use" that whole dead space taken by a conventional exhaust..

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
of course...he is looking at the Versus engineering diffuser but that's made for the cars with exhausts..his has no exhaust as the e-golf.....as I said in a previous post it should fit, but there might be trimming of the black rear valance...

VW missed a trick with the e-Golf by NOT making a big rear diffuser which would be able to cut/angle into the rear bumper & "use" that whole dead space taken by a conventional exhaust..
Yup, I completely agree. The only reason that I can think of for them not having one from the factory is to lower the cost by a bit. Damn penny pinching bean counters struck again. You would think that out of all of the cars they would do it on the most "economical", but apparently not. Doesn't take a whole lot to figure out that a big open space under the car will create a ton of drag and make the rear bumper act like a drag chute.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Okay - I don't mean to sound lazy but I am finding the thread and OP's first posts to be a little confusing reading it as a Golf R owner.
I understand that there are differences due to the 4WD system in the R.
I would like to ideally do all of the mods mentioned in this entire thread (including the MK8 rear lower control arm panels), but not sure which ones are possible for a Golf R.
Would anyone be kind enough to provide the part numbers for the panels applicable for the Golf R?

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
For normal Golf R;

OEM:
front skid/aero plate*
tiguan aero plate*
short exhaust tunnel plate - the long one does not fit without a lot of pain & modification
MK8 rear aero arm covers

* if you have upgraded sub-frame and put aluminum one in, there is some sort of "combined" plate available, but I'm not sure the details.

Aftermarket;
Rear diffuser (Verus, WCT Performance, Aerofabb)

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
For normal Golf R;

OEM:
front skid/aero plate*
tiguan aero plate*
short exhaust tunnel plate - the long one does not fit without a lot of pain & modification
MK8 rear aero arm covers

* if you have upgraded sub-frame and put aluminum one in, there is some sort of "combined" plate available, but I'm not sure the details.

Aftermarket;
Rear diffuser (Verus, WCT Performance, Aerofabb)
Are the front skid/aero plate and the tiguan aero plate exclusive of eachother or can you install both of them together? I understand that there is something going on with the "wavy" ends of each panel.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are the front skid/aero plate and the tiguan aero plate exclusive of eachother or can you install both of them together? I understand that there is something going on with the "wavy" ends of each panel.

What subframe do you have, aluminium or steel??...

Also are you prepared to drill holes in the steel subframe as that is what is required for the Tiguan subframe cover...& do you have a large rivet nut installation tool?...

Its quite clear what will & will not fit as I state in each section what cars the items are for...but I'll reiterate..

You can fit the thin plastic aero cover or more precisely what VW call the diesel noise insulation. This is a straight bolt on undertray for the engine bay, no brackets required & has a wavy edge where it meets the subframe... OR you can fit the aramid fibre reinforced skid tray which requires two brackets at the front and has a straight edge where it meets the subframe.

IF you have the aluminium subframe you can fit the "Eco" very big thin plastic aero tray from the "Eco" MK8 Golf which covers the whole front subframe as well the same area as the above trays. No brackets required.

If you have the steel subframe you can fit the Tiguan subframe tray which fits perfectly against the VW noise insulation aero tray. However IF you have the aramid reinforced skid tray which has a straight edge you will have to cut a wavy edge in the skid tray to join upto the Tiguan subframe tray.

Tiguan subframe cover & either the noise insulation thin plastic aero tray or the reinforced skid tray together both cover the exact same area as the "Eco" very large MK8 thin plastic aero tray..

The front section of the exhaust tunnel, you fit the short tray, the long tray is not suitable for your AWD systems due to the prop shaft cardan joint bracket...

You cannot fit ANY of the rear exhaust tunnel or rear axle cover trays as your AWD systems are NOT suitable for this.

You can fit either the rear stone covers or the MK8 Golf aero covers to the lower rear suspension arms...

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
What subframe do you have, aluminium or steel??...

Also are you prepared to drill holes in the steel subframe as that is what is required for the Tiguan subframe cover...& do you have a large rivet nut installation tool?...

Its quite clear what will & will not fit as I state in each section what cars the items are for...but I'll reiterate..

You can fit the thin plastic aero cover or more precisely what VW call the diesel noise insulation. This is a straight bolt on undertray for the engine bay, no brackets required & has a wavy edge where it meets the subframe... OR you can fit the aramid fibre reinforced skid tray which requires two brackets at the front and has a straight edge where it meets the subframe.

IF you have the aluminium subframe you can fit the "Eco" very big thin plastic aero tray from the "Eco" MK8 Golf which covers the whole front subframe as well the same area as the above trays. No brackets required.

If you have the steel subframe you can fit the Tiguan subframe tray which fits perfectly against the VW noise insulation aero tray. However IF you have the aramid reinforced skid tray which has a straight edge you will have to cut a wavy edge in the skid tray to join upto the Tiguan subframe tray.

Tiguan subframe cover & either the noise insulation thin plastic aero tray or the reinforced skid tray together both cover the exact same area as the "Eco" very large MK8 thin plastic aero tray..

The front section of the exhaust tunnel, you fit the short tray, the long tray is not suitable for your AWD systems due to the prop shaft cardan joint bracket...

You cannot fit ANY of the rear exhaust tunnel or rear axle cover trays as your AWD systems are NOT suitable for this.

You can fit either the rear stone covers or the MK8 Golf aero covers to the lower rear suspension arms...
This makes a lot of sense now - thank you!
I have the factory steel subframe so I think I’ll pass on the Tiguan cover since I’d rather not drill holes into steel and possibly create areas where rust can form.

Has anyone noted any benefits of using the short tunnel cover?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This makes a lot of sense now - thank you!
I have the factory steel subframe so I think I’ll pass on the Tiguan cover since I’d rather not drill holes into steel and possibly create areas where rust can form.

Has anyone noted any benefits of using the short tunnel cover?

Glad its cleared up the options for you..

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
Whilst clearing some junk in the garage I had a mockup of the aero parts to encourage me to get on and do this job. There's some considerable surface area to cover up underneath these cars.

Granted that the original engine half tray covers some of this area and the subframe is not completely full of holes. To me, the benefits are clear. Damn penny pinching VW!

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_113032.jpg
    IMG_20201103_113032.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 432

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Whilst clearing some junk in the garage I had a mockup of the aero parts to encourage me to get on and do this job. There's some considerable surface area to cover up underneath these cars.

Granted that the original engine half tray covers some of this area and the subframe is not completely full of holes. To me, the benefits are clear. Damn penny pinching VW!

Yes as I have said many times.."bloody penny pinching bean counters!!!"..

Like the photo.....all laid out as per fitment on the car..(y)

Whilst you are under the rear I take it you are also doing the harmonic damper??

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
I've actually already fitted it whilst I had a few cheeky minutes to hand. Wife was busy working in the house 😝 Only jacked the car up a little just enough to get underneath. I'll save the rest of the info for the harmonic dampener thread though.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've actually already fitted it whilst I had a few cheeky minutes to hand. Wife was busy working in the house 😝 Only jacked the car up a little just enough to get underneath. I'll save the rest of the info for the harmonic dampener thread though.

Yeah thats great....!!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Would you guys say that the rear aero arm covers are the best bang for buck aero mod for a Golf R?

Yes...then do the full engine bay aero tray (MK7 noise insulation) or the reinforced skid tray...

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Yes...then do the full engine bay aero tray (MK7 noise insulation) or the reinforced skid tray...
Ordered via e-acca! I noticed that pricing your cart in Russian Rubles makes everything ~20% cheaper than Euros (21 CAD vs 26 CAD). Should be here in a few months - I'm in no rush.