GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I had the chance to look underneath the car yesterday, and took some pictures :) Looks like there's some room for improvement, except for the harmonic damper 😅
Going to be cool!! Front exhaust tunnel has arrived already, can't wait to put it on!

You have the thin aero tray for the engine bay already fitted, so the Tiguan & the front exhaust tunnel trays can be done...nothing at the back except the plastic covers specific to the torsion beam rear suspension...

but these is a specific torsion beam version of the rear exhaust tunnel cover to cover the exhaust pipe to the right of picture before the fuel tank..

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Does anybody know what are the part numbers of those two fasteners below which are used on Mk8 engine shield?
1601239519152.png
1601239549188.png

1601239920247.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Does anybody know what are the part numbers of those two fasteners below which are used on Mk8 engine shield?
View attachment 187149 View attachment 187150
View attachment 187151

I thought you would know having all that info from the website with those photos etc...

Also if you look back at those photos you sent me... VW only fit that bigger engine aero under tray (which also covers the whole subframe) to the aluminium subframe & not the cars with the steel subframe as those rawlplug type item "far right of your picture" need to fit in the cast "tube" in the aluminum subframe...the steel subframe is just thin sheet metal with a big air space behind it....& I don't think those fittings will work...which is why I haven't mentioned it as a retro-fit item....

EDIT:-
I recon if you fit a riv-nut to those exact holes in the steel subframe & then you can bolt & large washer that tray for those two points instead of trying to fit those fixings which are for the aluminium subframe..

Last edited:

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
I thought you would know having all that info from the website with those photos etc...

Also if you look back at those photos you sent me... VW only fit that bigger engine aero under tray (which also covers the whole subframe) to the aluminium subframe & not the cars with the steel subframe as those rawlplug type item "far right of your picture" need to fit in the cast "tube" in the aluminum subframe...the steel subframe is just thin sheet metal with a big air space behind it....& I don't think those fittings will work...which is why I haven't mentioned it as a retro-fit item....

EDIT:-
I recon if you fit a riv-nut to those exact holes in the steel subframe & then you can bolt & large washer that tray for those two points instead of trying to fit those fixings which are for the aluminium subframe..
Yes, you would think so but it is not the case :)
I know it is fitted to alu subframe and I think I mentioned to you that I will do alu subframe retrofit, I have obtained it and it is waiting that rest of the parts arrive.

But before I do the retrofit I plan to do an analysis on how it can fit the steel subframe and if it can fit it.
I have contacted VW dealer and their official ETKA parts database is also missing pictures on that category so they had to contact the central warehouse/factory to check on the part numbers of those parts. They said 5WA825267 should do the trick for both parts. I have ordered it and in a couple of days will see if that is it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes, you would think so but it is not the case :)
I know it is fitted to alu subframe and I think I mentioned to you that I will do alu subframe retrofit, I have obtained it and it is waiting that rest of the parts arrive.

But before I do the retrofit I plan to do an analysis on how it can fit the steel subframe and if it can fit it.
I have contacted VW dealer and their official ETKA parts database is also missing pictures on that category so they had to contact the central warehouse/factory to check on the part numbers of those parts. They said 5WA825267 should do the trick for both parts. I have ordered it and in a couple of days will see if that is it.

so even ETKA didn't have it??....oh well!!....Anyway at least you found it....& I forgot you were doing the alu sub-frame swap!!

Like I said above, rivet-nut & bolt /large washer might be needed to fix to steel subframe.....also you will have to modify this extra long aero tray to fit the MK7 ......the MK7 side which has 4 screw fixings only has three drilled on the MK8, the fourth hole is marked on the tray, just drill out....same with the access hole...marked, but not cut out...

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Rivet arrived (pics below) and it is what it needs to be. A retrofit will be in a month or month and a half so don't hold your breath.
@golfdave sry for hogging your thread
IMG_20201006_170352.jpgIMG_20201006_170333.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rivet arrived (pics below) and it is what it needs to be. A retrofit will be in a month or month and a half so don't hold your breath.
@golfdave sry for hogging your thread
View attachment 187990View attachment 187991

No problem..at least its on topic!!!.....

I recon that for those who have done the aluminium subframe swap, they have a nice fuller aero cover option...without having to try the Tiguan subframe cover...

Let us know how it fits even if you don't do a how to guide...I could do one without pictures as a starter...& credit any pictures if you want??.....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
So MK8 rear lower arm aero covers..MK8 short axle tray (let us know how it fits)....& WTF is the foil tray??..as thats not on any MK8 underside I've seen!

I have a little story for your viewing pleasure, thats the middle exhaust tunnel cover I had to replace:

I posted in this thread before that my exhaust tunnel cover (the foil one, sorry thats not mk8) flew up and got run over by a semi and was largely fine. That was due to me not pushing the clips all the way in. Oops. Recently, I went to an exhaust shop who went to replace the 2.5 inch adapter with a 3 inch adapter and completely ignored me when putting the panel back on, and didn't put the clips all the way in. I took a trip with friends to the beach who later told me that something was hanging down under my car and lo and behold it was the panel. It held up awesome, minus the fact that it was dragging on the road and rubbed a portion of it completely off. Needless to say that shop was given a one star review not only for that, but for treating me more like a burden than a customer when telling them some precautionary measures.

I will definitely let you guys know how it fits this weekend when I have the car up, i'm excited. I'll attach pictures to this comment in a little bit.

EAF6AEE5-E58E-46C4-88EF-336826896CA4.jpeg

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I made a video recently about fitting these trays. Had been running some of them for a while but finally fitted them all. I did need to modify the rear axel cover quite a bit for it to not foul on the fuel tank though. I used the MK5 cover. Car is GTI CS.

Have made reference back to this thread in the video description.

One thing I would like to play with further is to see if the front exhaust cover could be duplicated to fit where the resonator is (I have a smaller one). As that is the main exposed part of the car now. I know there are aftermarket solutions but I'd rather use OEM bits if I can.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have a little story for your viewing pleasure, thats the middle exhaust tunnel cover I had to replace:

I thought it was the MK7 front exhaust tunnel tray, but couldn't see the black plastic sections so to my eyes it just looked all foil!...& the MK8 is a steel one which doesn't fit the MK7 as good as the MK7 one does!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I made a video recently about fitting these trays. Had been running some of them for a while but finally fitted them all. I did need to modify the rear axel cover quite a bit for it to not foul on the fuel tank though. I used the MK5 cover. Car is GTI CS.

Have made reference back to this thread in the video description.

One thing I would like to play with further is to see if the front exhaust cover could be duplicated to fit where the resonator is (I have a smaller one). As that is the main exposed part of the car now. I know there are aftermarket solutions but I'd rather use OEM bits if I can.

That short rear axle cover is a PITA for the fact the fuel tanks are all slightly different..& the MK8 version will have the same problem...one advantage of having the estate & using the long Passat cover...NO trimming!

PS you now need to fit the MK8 rear arm aero covers....& you can just use the plastic rivets if you don't fancy getting a rivnut gun....one forum member as done 140mph on just the plastic rivet fixes top & bottom all ok!

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
That short rear axle cover is a PITA for the fact the fuel tanks are all slightly different..& the MK8 version will have the same problem...one advantage of having the estate & using the long Passat cover...NO trimming!

PS you now need to fit the MK8 rear arm aero covers....& you can just use the plastic rivets if you don't fancy getting a rivnut gun....one forum member as done 140mph on just the plastic rivet fixes top & bottom all ok!
Is there a seperate thread for MK8 parts that fit MK7?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate