GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
View attachment 183168

This part is from T-Roc/Tiguan.
Q0199110B - 1pcs
N90324203 - 2pcs
WHT000729A - 2cps
WHT008023 - 3pcs

Already fitted & how to guide done last December....& quoted your thread....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ubframe-cover-from-the-vw-tiguan-2016.370077/

Try Audi A3, you will find even more.

Saw that & most of the stuff is A3 specific & will not fit our MK7, or there are already existing MK7 parts.

I've done an annotated explanation below:-
Audi-A3-saloon-2020-anotated-reduced.jpg

IRONICK

The shield under the engine fits, no aluminum subframe needed. It take only few holes and rivet nuts to insert. Already done it.
A3/MK8 - right trim is ok also, I've already mounted it.

In the version with H suspension there are even more parts to adapt. The parts are also on Skoda Octavia 4 and Seat Leon 4.
You also missed the air duct near the front wheels. No, it's not plug-n-play, but with small adaptations it comes out perfectly.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The shield under the engine fits, no aluminum subframe needed. It take only few holes and rivet nuts to insert. Already done it.
A3/MK8 - right trim is ok also, I've already mounted it.

In the version with H suspension there are even more parts to adapt. The parts are also on Skoda Octavia 4 and Seat Leon 4.
You also missed the air duct near the front wheels. No, it's not plug-n-play, but with small adaptations it comes out perfectly.

Crossed wires....lost in translation..

The picture of the Audi A3 has a single piece panel from the front bumper to the rear of the front subframe....this is made for the aluminium front subframe as the two rear mounting points are not on the steel sub frame. Even if you drill holes in the steel subframe I doubt the VW fixings will work as they are for the socket plugs in the alu subframe & may not work with the sheet steel on the steel subframe.

The MK7 reinforced skid tray or full aero cover fits to the front of the subframe..then you have Tiguan subframe cover to cover the rest of what the single item above does...

Torsion beam suspension has different parts..MK7 has them available since 2013...item no 17.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2014-746/5/511-511000/

Those front ducts cannot fit under my bumper as there is already an air duct which is standard on the MK7 Golf standard bumper...& on the others bumpers....

Please post photos of what you mean for clarity....

IRONICK

Small deflectors are now mounted on the MK8 front arms. They are the same ones that are mounted on the VW Polo.
They do not fit on the MK7.

polo1.jpg
polo2.jpg

But you can build them manually:

cov1.jpeg
cov2.jpeg

Last edited:

IRONICK

And there is a new trim in the back of the car, between the rear suspension and the exhaust.
Two years ago I made that one out of aluminum, but now I see it is assembled from the factory now, but only when the rear exhaust is in a certain position.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
And there is a new trim in the back of the car, between the rear suspension and the exhaust.
Two years ago I made that one out of aluminum, but now I see it is assembled from the factory now, but only when the rear exhaust is in a certain position.

That item is just a stone cover for the torsion beam....to add to the existing stone covers for the spring seats on the torsion beam...

Yes I know what you have done as I have seen your thread here:-

https://vwforum.ro/topic/135866-gol...inamice-si-nvh-noise-vibration-and-harshness/

Many of those items you mention don't work on the MK7 Golf. This thread & How to guide is about stuff that will fit without having to do masses of work. There is also the fact that many people on this site have the Golf with the multilink rear suspension, & very few with the torsion beam that you have. The stuff you do mention that will fit the MK7 Golf is what I first posted in this guide & others way back in 2015...& the Tiguan cover how to guide which I wrote was last December..

Those parts you mention on the Polo I have seen as I had a Polo as a courtesy car last October & took photos of the underside, as it had loads of aero covers, many of which will NOT fit the MK7 Golf.

Please only post hard facts on parts that will fit easily to the MK7 Golf not wild speculation...

IRONICK

I already told you that the small deflectors do not fit on the G7 front lower arms. I only mentioned that the Polo ones are now mounted on the Golf 8, Leon 4 and Octavia 4. In Romania there are many models (G7, O3 and O4) with this type of rear suspension. And as the platform is identical, they fit perfectly.
In 2015 I modified a car from another manufacturer. But it's great that you've already started this project on M7.
I'm sorry, I didn't have time to do tutorials for every screw fitted (in order to consider that those parts are not wild speculations). But I'll take pictures.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I already told you that the small deflectors do not fit on the G7 front lower arms.
So why mention them? I knew about them & decide to not mention them becase they don't fit..also they get in the way of the brake air guides from the Audi TT or RS3.

In Romania there are many models (G7, O3 and O4) with this type of rear suspension. And as the platform is identical, they fit perfectly.
This thread is solely about what will fit the MK7 Golf, not other cars as the Octavia has a longer wheel base & longer rear overhang compared to the MK7 Golf hatch so several panels will not fit. I also do state in the beginning of this thread the aero covers for those cars.

In 2015 I modified a car from another manufacturer. But it's great that you've already started this project on M7.
"Started this project"??.....really??!!.....I did the skid tray & exhaust tray etc modifications to my car in November 2014 & got around to writing this thread in March 2015......you are the one who is late to the party!

I'm sorry, I didn't have time to do tutorials for every screw fitted (in order to consider that those parts are not wild speculations). But I'll take pictures.
What of?? Go read the first page & see what I posted & my other how to guides as there is no point in you posting photos of modifications that I have already done!

Answers in the quote above in bold

You have obviously not understood the point of this "How to guide"...

Please go to the first post on this thread which I posted in 2015 & read from there.......you are late to the party!!

Look you might be trying to help but you're just cluttering up this thread (How to guide) with info & photos which are not 100% relevant, & covering stuff which has already been gone over. This can lead to confusion for other people. Please keep the info to:- "this part 100% fits or will fit MK7 Golf & the part number is"...& check that I have not already mentioned it!

Last edited:

IRONICK

I don't understand the tone of your conversation, you seem very agitated in the discussion and I really don't understand why.
I thought that the exchange of information is useful, but it seems that you want me not to post here on the topic. I just want to exchange useful information.
You mentioned several times that you were the first to mount them. And what conclusion do I have to draw from this?

So why mention them? I knew about them & decide to not mention them becase they don't fit..also they get in the way of the brake air guides from the Audi TT or RS3.
It has nothing to do with ' brake air guides from the Audi TT or RS3'. The lower arm is modified, the trims does not fit the size and cannot be fixed with rivets.
I mention them because I preferred to build them manually. There are some studies done by some universities the air current around the wheels and the principles of aerodynamics apply to all cars.

Aerodynamics Concept Studyof Electric VehiclesDrag Reduction and Range Increase

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't understand the tone of your conversation, you seem very agitated in the discussion and I really don't understand why.
I thought that the exchange of information is useful, but it seems that you want me not to post here on the topic. I just want to exchange useful information.
You mentioned several times that you were the first to mount them. And what conclusion do I have to draw from this?

It has nothing to do with ' brake air guides from the Audi TT or RS3'. The lower arm is modified, the trims does not fit the size and cannot be fixed with rivets.
I mention them because I preferred to build them manually. There are some studies done by some universities the air current around the wheels and the principles of aerodynamics apply to all cars.

Aerodynamics Concept Studyof Electric VehiclesDrag Reduction and Range Increase

Again lost in translation..

You are mentioning parts that we have already been fitting to our cars....like the front aero trays, exhaust tunnel covers, rear axle covers & the Tiguan subframe covers etc etc....no need to go over again & again as the correct info is already in this thread & other threads that I have started...

If you want to make parts for your car to cover the front lower arms that is great...create a separate thread & post up how you did it!...

No need to post the link on aerodynamics. I do know the principals & the reason for the arm under covers...that VW fit to the MK8 Golf & Polo....just that there is no part readily available to fit the MK7 Golf...& that if there was & you have the brake air guides fitted the two parts would clash & serious modification would be needed..

Sharing new info is great....repeating what is already in the thread gets nowhere..

Last edited:

IRONICK

I saw in the meantime that there were some of them.
Well, I don't have much to exemplify. I bought a 2mm thick polyethylene board (the only material quite resistant to vibrations and the impact of stones ) and I cut out the shape of the lower arm. As seen in the picture above.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to remind people that all the info on retro-fitting the following items is located in the first page of this How to guide thread:-

1. The engine bay full thin aero tray
2. The reinforced skid tray,
3. The front exhaust tunnel tray,
4. The rear exhaust tunnel tray,
5. The rear axle tray for multilink rear suspension,
6. The torsion beam spring seat stone protectors.

My other How to guides:-

Retro-fitting the Audi A3 jack pads:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...t-the-jack-pads-from-the-audi-a3-2013.339117/

Retro-fitting the front subframe cover from the Tiguan:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ubframe-cover-from-the-vw-tiguan-2016.370077/

Retro-fitting either the MK5/6/7/8/ stone guards or the MK8 aero covers to the lower arms on the rear multilink suspension:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-guards-or-stone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.375175/

Retro-fitting the Audi RS3 front brake air guides:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ake-air-guides-from-the-audi-rs3-2017.353411/

Retro-fitting the rear window side fins to the estate:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...fins-to-a-mk7-golf-estate-variant-s-w.326362/

My big list of How to Guides:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/all-of-golfdaves-how-to-retro-fit-guides.337352/

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
Part I

UPDATE Jan 2018
Engine skid tray/ under tray
VW supply all petrol engine cars with the thin flexi plastic "half" tray which only covers the front lower half of the engine bay. The front edge of this tray clips into the front under bumper valance (& one screw to fix), & seven screws are used to fix it around the sides to the wheel arches.

All diesel engine cars get a "full" cover version of this. This thin flexi plastic "full" cover is known as "sound absorbing" as it stops noise emitted by the diesel engine. This cover is NOT a skid tray, only an AERO tray. This tray is exactly like the half tray but for the additional length which extends to the front subframe & requires three additional bolts to secure it to the subframe.

There is in Germany & France a factory option of front skid tray. This covers the same area as the full thin aero tray above, however..it does not clip into the front bumper lower valance. Instead it requires two brackets to be bolted to the front crash bar chassis rails & the tray bolts to these brackets using two bolts per bracket (4 in total).

However, due to how low the factory sports suspension (in my view) is I feel that the “skid tray” is of more use to us for protection purposes as well as aerodynamics! VW used to make a steel “protection under tray” for the MK4 Golf, however for “eco” reasons & cost cutting the one for the MK7 Golf is G.R.P. (Glassfibre Reinforced Plastic). There are however after market companies such as ECS Tuning (ECS) & Sherriff who make aluminium & steel skid trays for the MK7. However these aluminium & steel skid trays will make more noise with stones hitting them. Also the ESC tray has a major design flaw! It only clips into the front bumpers lower valance like the thin VW one! If you hit something hard enough it will cause the ECS tray to flex upwards at the rear bend until it hits your sump! Also because there are big holes where their tray does not cover the areas where the VW one does & where the VW brackets are, you cannot easily fit the ECS tray to the VW brackets!!

I decided that after doing some research into the strength & durability of GRP, that the VW one would be strong enough for my needs, e.g. it will provide better aerodynamics & good protection from most impacts! Also the VW one has a proper NACA cooling duct, & metal reinforcing sleeves in the skid tray for the main bolt holes, which prevent crushing & stress fractures of the G.R.P. from the bolts

Thin plastic "Aero" tray NOT the Skid tray:-
There are several types depending on the number of NACA ducts you want...
5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front
3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE)
5Q0 825 236M gives you NO vents so do not get!!

Item 10, WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,(M8x20mm), (x3) shorter than the skid tray rear bolts as the "Aero" tray is thinner plastic
All are full size trays & require the rear three bolts, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they also use the existing small black screws...

SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C,
Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***
***=Only these items required from the dealers in my project!***

For NAR (USA, Canada, Mexico, etc) Forum member "ADVNTURR" has found that the following parts are easier to order in NAR & do fit as he posts in this thread here:-Click here

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902,
Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
3Q0 825 902 B (now) with one duct as per mine)
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

I have confirmed with the VW ETKA & these parts are correct for NAR MK7 Golf, & the tray is from a new Passat hence the "3Q0" start to the part number. The Passat is also an MQB platform car so will share many parts & dimensions.

Other parts which may be required:-
M8x25mm hex head flange bolts DIN6921 type (x7), M8x DIN9021 type washers (x7), all in stainless steel.
[/INDENT] Info
This tray covers the whole underside of the engine bay area! It fits to the wheel arch liners at the sides, & the front bumper (as per the OEM half tray). However it extends to, & overlaps the metal subframe & uses three threaded inserts which already exist in the subframe! Be warned that because it is approx. 25mm (1 inch) thick, & it overlaps the main metal subframe, your ground clearance at this point is thus reduced by the same amount!! My ground clearance is now about 125mm (5 inches) as this point. It also weights 5kg. Also to remove it for servicing you have seven of the original black trim screws (as per the factory half tray), & a further seven main bolts to undo!

Optional Audi Cabriolet METAL skid tray,
Thuis item covers the whole of the metal subframe. The Audi subframe is an "open web" design made in Aluminium alloy, so not as aero as our sheet metal "closed" design.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=662179&postcount=376

Parts sheet:-
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+cabriolet/a3ca/2016-778/8/825-825000/#24

Note there are numerous versions of the tray (ie ducts)

Item No. 24:- 5Q7 825 235 A or B or C or D, skid tray
Item No. 25:- N907 371 07, Fillister head bolt with multi point socket M6x12mm (x 4) For front edge with bumper
Item No. 26:- N909 747 01, Hex socket head bolt M5x16mm (x7) for fixing the wheel arch side edges
Item No. 27:- N907 583 02, Hex socket bolt combi M8x25mm (x9) for the main nine.

I can't find brackets for this & think its a different style fit??

Fitting
Firstly it is best to be able to jack up & have the whole front end of the car in the air & supported by either axle stands, or in my case two 3ton professional trolley jacks! You could also use drive on ramps. Using a T-star (T-25 size) bit/key, undo the eight black screws holding up your existing half sized under tray (four down one side, three down the other, & one at the front). These are listed as Item No. 24, so keep & put to one side for later.

You will notice that the brackets are shaped differently, the straight one is for the passenger side UK (drivers side NAR), with the curved one for the opposite side. They can only be fitted one way around, & one side as they also have a “tab” sticking out which locates into a hole in the mounting area. Now the tricky bit! You need to reach up & with great dexterity, place the brackets on the rear face of the crash bar mounting plates & insert the bolts with built in washers (Item No. 27) from the front face, & tighten (12 point spline, 10mm size). Now leave the bolts slightly loose (you should just be able to move the brackets) to help with the alignment of the tray.

Now fit the tray by getting the front tabs behind the front lower trim & use the three rear bolts into the subframe only. Align the tray so that the metal sleeves are centred under the bolt heads. Now insert a long screwdriver through the front bolt holes into the brackets & move the brackets to align the bolts holes in the bracket up with the holes in the tray. Now remove the tray & holding the brackets still, tighten up the bracket spline bolts (20Nm) so that the brackets don’t move. I also had to “pull” the brackets forwards in my case, to get better alignment.

Now you can loosely refit the tray using the main seven bolts. Now reusing seven of the original (black wide head) screws from your OEM tray, loosely secure the sides of the tray to the wheel arch liners as per the OEM (three screws down one side & four down the other). The OEM screw at the front is not needed as the full tray only has the two tabs at the front & not the additional screw hole (as per the OEM half tray). Now once you have everything fitting & aligned, fully tighten the seven main bolts up (no torque setting given just “nip-up”, but used 1lbft max), followed by the seven black trim screws. I did also use a bit of “copper grease” on the main bolts to protect the threads in the brackets. Job done!!

Modification
Due to the winters & salt that is on the roads where I live I decided to get stainless steel versions of Item No. 25, for better corrosion resistance!. I also got stainless steel washers because I noticed that the bolts (even the OEM Item No. 25) didn’t fully cover the sleeves in the tray unless they are perfectly aligned. The DIN type washers are 2mm thick & will not collapse into the tray bolt holes when tightened up, unlike form A,B,C, or penny washers which are all thinner.

Now enjoy better protection for your sump, better aerodynamics, better fuel consumption, less road dirt sprayed into the engine bay, etc., etc.!

P.S. I have noticed the oil temp heating up quicker (better for winter), but not overheating!

First, have to thank you golfdave, literally all the information I needed to decide between the CTS Street Shield and the OEM+ option for my 2015 Golf 7R.

Question (to anyone with any leads), anyone know UK stores where the skid plate and the other listed accessories can be bought? No eBay supplier seems to have them in stock.