GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not public source :)

Yep, I jumped the gun little bit too soon, I have hatch and not estate and per ETKA there is no cover there and also no cover on my car. On hatch MK7 bottom of rear bumper is barebone.
View attachment 178347

Could you dropbox them to me? as I can't take photos of my car on the lift as none of the garages around here will let me..even my friendly VW car dealer..& when I showed him my camera he looked a bit scared to even touch it!!

& yes the hatch is too small to get those covers..its only for the estates...the Octavia hatch & estate are the same length, just one has a long sloping rear & the other is more "estate"...the MK7 Golf as a shorted rear overhang & vertical hatch...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
My car had the weld stud in place from factory....& most other cars also have it in place...you could just use a nut & bolt...or get the weld stud from VW get someone to weld it in place.
Yep, I will try a nut with hexagon head and those black nuts that I used to fit the Passat rear axle cover. I would like to avoid welding given proximity to benzin tank, a lot of electronics in the car and still ongoing factory warranty.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yep, I will try a nut with hexagon head and those black nuts that I used to fit the Passat rear axle cover. I would like to avoid welding given proximity to benzin tank, a lot of electronics in the car and still ongoing factory warranty.

Fuel, electrics & car still in warranty.....three good reasons!!!.

The OEM nut is black plastic washer as used on the Passat rear axle cover. The weld on stud is a course thread so will not work properly with a standard bolt......so best to use a stainless bolt & then use a nut & a wide penny repair washer instead.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Done! Just a hint - a bolt longer than 30mm cannot be fitted due to limited space of the chassis bracket. Even the 6x30milimetr was challenging to pass through the hole. Used just simple stainless nut - no glue nor self locking one. No need to remove anything nor lifting the car, just park it at slight uphill - I used garage entrance.

Do not overtight as the plastic is relatively thin but that's obvious.
IMG_20200704_130832209.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Done! Just a hint - a bolt longer than 30mm cannot be fitted due to limited space of the chassis bracket. Even the 6x30milimetr was challenging to pass through the hole. Used just simple stainless nut - no glue nor self locking one. No need to remove anything nor lifting the car, just park it at slight uphill - I used garage entrance.

Do not overtight as the plastic is relatively thin but that's obvious.

You could use a 20mm long bolt & a nyloc nut easy...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
So I can confirm that noise is somehow lower with full set of undercovers installed. I don’t have any hard data but the feeling is obvious. The car is now a bit more comfortable in terms of noise and a slightly discomfort sound from aero flow around front door and rear mirrors starts to appear around 180kmh assuming non-windy weather. I think that without the last cover I have placed (around left rear wheel), the overall noise was a bit higher but it depends in individuals like sound sensitivity. Excluding those factory fitted rubbish japanese tires, there is no disruptive sound coming thru the floor.

However, no effect on fuel consumption nor handling.

Just a note – I have already applied some extra insulation on wheel arches to reduce effect of extremely loud tires.

DiuSee

Car(s)
19 Golf R
Hello GolfDave and GolfMk7,

Great write up with lots of information. I ended up reading through all 44 pages of this thread, however I don't believe anyone has posted about this issue before.

I have a 2019 NAR Golf R, and recently purchased all of the parts required to install the AllTrack skid plate to the front end of my car. It has never been in an accident since I picked it up brand new in Sept 2019.

The parts that I have picked up are as follows:
3Q0 825 902 B
5Q0 825 921
5Q0 825 922A
and all the bolts associated. (2x Triple Square for the bracket to frame, 4x 13mm for skid plate to bracket, 3x torqs for skid plate to subframe)

I followed the instructions on here and same as Charles' the Humble Mechanic for this install with the modification of using rsw81's short cut to access the bolt that goes through the frame rail. I have also consulted other finished products pictures/forum posts that has been made. I tried installing the shield onto the bracket before tightening the frame rail bolt, however I lost my triple square in the front bumper. While removing the 13mm bolts from below they went extremely cockeyed.
Sources:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-R-today&p=110821201&viewfull=1#post110821201
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...tone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/post-6660090

The driver side bracket fits well without much issues, however the passenger side is giving me much hassle. Once bolted down the bracket sits too far back for to match up with the holes in the skid plate and too far towards the inside of the car. I have exchanged this bracket with what seems to be a new from VW, and the results are the same.

For the experts in here, please help guide to towards a solution for this problem. I have attached pictures below to hopefully better illustrate my issues.

Please let me know if more info is required or my posting method is incorrect.

Thank you in advance,
DiuSee

Bracket side of the frame rail.
IMG_20200704_191926.jpg

13mm bolts taped to the skid plate peaking in from the front.
IMG_20200714_185032.jpg

View from the back with the frame bolt tightened down and 13mm bolts taped to the skid plate. Shows misalignment between bolts and bracket also proximity to the hose.
IMG_20200714_185120.jpg

View from below showing the alignment of the tab and proximity to the hose.
IMG_20200714_191800.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
View from below showing the alignment of the tab and proximity to the hose.
View attachment 179726

You have the brackets on the wrong side of the car...remove brackets & put the more curved one on the USA passenger side...???

Either that or you need to get the locating tab into the correct place so remove brackets & then refit....

DiuSee

Car(s)
19 Golf R
Unfortunately, that is the curved bracket on the USA passenger side of the car, and the last picture shows that the locating tab is sitting in it's correct hole in the mirror. Only camera placement was changed between the last picture and the picture added below.

IMG_20200714_191824.jpg

edit: added picture

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Unfortunately, that is the curved bracket on the USA passenger side of the car, and the last picture shows that the locating tab is sitting in it's correct hole in the mirror. Only camera placement was changed between the last picture and the picture added below.

View attachment 179785

edit: added picture

Even with the tab in the hole there is still quite a bit of movement for positioning ..basically you need to undo the bolt slightly..offer the tray upto the bracket & push the bracket over until its parallel with the tray & then tighten the bolt back up...you almost have to hold the bracket in the correct place whilst tightening the bolt ...I recon the best way is bumper off then fit brackets loosely, fit tray, then tighten bracket bolts at this makes 100% certain that the brackets/tray are correctly aligned...

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Fitted some more of the aero underbody covers - many thanks to Golfdave for his write up

Rear exhaust cover

Front exhaust cover

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Fitted some more of the aero underbody covers - many thanks to Golfdave for his write up

Rear exhaust cover

Front exhaust cover

MK8 rear lower arm aero covers next???

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Stop it....:p:p