GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
My new Seat Leon Cupra R 2018 310 have the whole cover/engine shield (OEM mounted) with the two gearbox vents, 3Q0 825 236 C.

My former Golf 7 R had the half cover, 3Q0 825 235 A.

The Cupra R have a rather big front CF splitter which presses in much air via lower grill into the engine bay, therefore I’m considering to open up say 4x 30mm round holes to help the air to evacuate in the rear part of the under shield nearby the sub frame since it's a "whole cover".

I also checked the German forum tread below about airflow running through the engine bay.
(Good opportunity to practice “Deutsch” :D)

https://www.golf7gti.com/topic.php?t=606&page=8

FYI The people in the tread says there is pressure from under the engine which slightly hinder the airflow to go through the engine bay. This phoneme is prevented with the help of a whole cover 3Q0 825 236 C. This means the whole cover increases the airflow instead of the opposite way around.

What do you think about drilling holes in the rear of cover? Perhaps just a waist of time. I have no issues with it, have hardly used the new Cupra yet but in time I will go to the track with it.

/Peter

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
There’s only one left!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142500207743

Thank you for finding this incredible deal. Just bought 1.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just ordered the one with the 2 vent up front that direct bolts up for my '18 GSW. ECS Tuning. Don't need the AT hardcore version.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just ordered the one with the 2 vent up front that direct bolts up for my '18 GSW. ECS Tuning. Don't need the AT hardcore version.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So you bought the badly designed ECS tuning alu tray which has NO front support & relies on the weak plastic bumper lip & wheel arch liners for support....& that also has two huge gaps (beside the ducts) that let in stones, grit etc...

If you don't want to spend the money on the OEM skid tray then get the alu one made by evolution import...$285..from FCP Euro (USA company).& has front support brackets like the OEM one...

The ECS Tuning one is a piece of crap ….waste of money...IMHO...

PS I see you just joined this forum this month & the above is your first post...

are you an ECS tuning troll???

Last edited:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
ECS now sells frame support brackets similar to the OEM ones so their tray isn't 100% junk any longer. Still massively overpriced compared to the OEM skid tray though.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
ECS now sells frame support brackets similar to the OEM ones so their tray isn't 100% junk any longer. Still massively overpriced compared to the OEM skid tray though.

Had to look for that.....;)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-alltrack-mk7-mkvii-gti-golf-r/019077ecs03kt/

so now RRP $404.95.....for their skid tray & support bracket....& the whole lot weighs way more than the OEM skid tray...

Plus you still have two gapping holes where the dirt/crud/stones will get up into the engine bay & also causing bad aero...

Obviously ECS tuning have a shed load of the skid trays..then people were not buying because no front support brackets..so they made the support brackets...still a crap design...

...get a Ares/Evolution Import alu tray...way cheaper $350.00 & better fit IF you want alu & don't want to get the OEM skid tray....
https://www.evolutionimport.com/Ares-Skid-Plate-Kit-for-MK7-Golf-p/a3015.htm

Attachments

• ECS skid tray with brace.jpg
    ECS skid tray with brace.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 734
  • ares evo import skid tray.jpg
    ares evo import skid tray.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Had to look for that.....;)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-alltrack-mk7-mkvii-gti-golf-r/019077ecs03kt/

so now RRP $404.95.....for their skid tray & support bracket....& the whole lot weighs way more than the OEM skid tray...

Plus you still have two gapping holes where the dirt/crud/stones will get up into the engine bay & also causing bad aero...

Obviously ECS tuning have a shed load of the skid trays..then people were not buying because no front support brackets..so they made the support brackets...still a crap design...

...get a Ares/Evolution Import alu tray...way cheaper $350.00 & better fit IF you want alu & don't want to get the OEM skid tray....
https://www.evolutionimport.com/Ares-Skid-Plate-Kit-for-MK7-Golf-p/a3015.htm

Agreed though I see no reason to get an aluminum tray when the OEM one is superior in every way. The ONLY situation where I would recommend the ECS tray (without the support brackets) is if someone already has already upgraded to a steel oil pan and also wants to run an FMIC since you can't with any of the trays that have support brackets to the frame.

penpal1

so essentially none of these work with the r apart from the engine tray n half tunnel cover? was hoping something orm worked for the rear ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
so essentially none of these work with the r apart from the engine tray n half tunnel cover? was hoping something orm worked for the rear ?

As far as I can work out as the Haldex/axles get in the way & the fuel tank & rear subframe are different..

You can still use the lower rear wishbone rubber covers...stops the sound of stones etc hitting the metal arms....

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
My apologies if this is been covered before. Is this gap normal?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My apologies if this is been covered before. Is this gap normal?

yes..

However due to the bolt holes in the tray being bigger you can loosen off the bolts (remember to do the wheel arch screws also) & slide the tray forwards..

this closes the gap more..:cool:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
yes..

However due to the bolt holes in the tray being bigger you can loosen off the bolts (remember to do the wheel arch screws also) & slide the tray forwards..

this closes the gap more..:cool:
Thanks golfdave!

May I present my almost flat bottom. Every panel you listed is now on

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
May I present my almost flat bottom.

The picture was an anti-climax....LOL..

Good job you included a picture of the underside of the car & that we all know the correct context of that statment....:D

& yes good work!!!..:cool: