GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I installed the two exhaust tunnel panels this weekend-- they were a breeze to install. But the under-engine full aero tray I bought was the wrong one-- it doesn't have the vents for the DSG/auto trans.

If anyone wants it for $80 shipped, I have it for sale in the classifieds: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46062

Yay!!!....:cool:

& bugger!!!!…:(

vents are a must for the DSG...but also if you have closed the slam panel intake of as I have done...a la GTE....

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Yay!!!....:cool:

& bugger!!!!…:(

vents are a must for the DSG...but also if you have closed the slam panel intake of as I have done...a la GTE....

I don't have the DSG, just the Aisin torque converter 6-spd, which all NAR non-GTI, non-R, non-4motion MK7s get. The deciding factor for me was how I almost burned my hand on the Aisin's bottom plate. Way hotter than the engine block. I don't know if it runs hotter than a DSG or not, but I felt it prudent to provide it some focused ventilation, so I nixed the completely closed tray. It turns out I can return it to the parts vendor for shipping + 10% restocking fee, so I'll only be out $25. I already have the vented version on the way.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't have the DSG, just the Aisin torque converter 6-spd, which all NAR non-GTI, non-R, non-4motion MK7s get. The deciding factor for me was how I almost burned my hand on the Aisin's bottom plate. Way hotter than the engine block. I don't know if it runs hotter than a DSG or not, but I felt it prudent to provide it some focused ventilation, so I nixed the completely closed tray. It turns out I can return it to the parts vendor for shipping + 10% restocking fee, so I'll only be out $25. I already have the vented version on the way.

forgot you still get "autos"....& getting that hot is got good long term!!:eek:

so getting vents even if not required is way better for longevity & reliability..

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
This is a great thread, and maybe when I have some extra funds laying around i'll get around to sourcing these parts but i'm a little concerned with how much heat will get trapped with the undertray/skid guard, if you're running a hybrid turbo or something bigger, anyone have any anectdotal evidence or words of reassurance? :p

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
This is a great thread, and maybe when I have some extra funds laying around i'll get around to sourcing these parts but i'm a little concerned with how much heat will get trapped with the undertray/skid guard, if you're running a hybrid turbo or something bigger, anyone have any anectdotal evidence or words of reassurance? :p

I was concerned about lack of cooling, but at least in NAR, the Alltrack comes with the skid tray as stock. So at least with the 1.8 TSI, VW has deemed it not an issue. If this were a 2.0, or modded, then YMMV.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I was concerned about lack of cooling, but at least in NAR, the Alltrack comes with the skid tray as stock. So at least with the 1.8 TSI, VW has deemed it not an issue. If this were a 2.0, or modded, then YMMV.

Yeah the alltrack is probably fine unless you slap a big turbo on that haha

I am more concerned with heat dissipation when the engine is fully enclosed. I'm sure dave has some sort of answer/solution

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So when I had my lowered A4, I ran the Thor skid plate.

A few times I grounded the car hard, once even slamming the car down on to it. It didn't bend or break, and due to being installed to the subframe, did no damage at all. It was nuts. Had all sorts of deep gouges in it.

There is something to be said for a well designed THICK metal skid plate. Not sure if there are options like it for the MK7 (haven't researched it at all).

I am considering getting some of these panels for the GTI as I am not lowered, and keeping the engine bay cleaner seems worthwhile.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah the alltrack is probably fine unless you slap a big turbo on that haha

I am more concerned with heat dissipation when the engine is fully enclosed. I'm sure dave has some sort of answer/solution

In Germany & France the skid tray is available as a factory fit option on all Golfs....part of the "rough road" package...

So when I had my lowered A4, I ran the Thor skid plate.

A few times I grounded the car hard, once even slamming the car down on to it. It didn't bend or break, and due to being installed to the subframe, did no damage at all. It was nuts. Had all sorts of deep gouges in it.

There is something to be said for a well designed THICK metal skid plate. Not sure if there are options like it for the MK7 (haven't researched it at all).

I am considering getting some of these panels for the GTI as I am not lowered, and keeping the engine bay cleaner seems worthwhile.

VW moved away from Metal as the GRP is more "eco", lighter in weight and as strong...& quieter when stones hit it...& no resonance either...

so win win...also no rusting..(MK4 was steel)....unless you make it in alu of course..:cool:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
So it looks like 5Q0825229C has the heat shield installed on it (note the nur mit warmabschirmungsblech text) and 5Q0825230H is without it. That is the difference between the two and not the size. Mine has the heat shield, so they actually sent me the wrong part. Since it has both part numbers on it, I can see them making the mistake and it wouldn't have mattered anyhow.

Also, on page 1, "ECS Tuning" is referred to as "ESC" which is incorrect.

Now the question is: Does anyone have pics of 5Q0825230J installed (as this appears to actually be the short tunnel cover)?

Thx

5Q0825229C - WITH heatshield

5Q0825230H - WITHOUT heatshield

Part size is the same.

Bumpage since page 1 still incorrectly shows these as being different sizes as well as ECS Tuning referred to as ESC.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Bumpage since page 1 still incorrectly shows these as being different sizes as well as ECS Tuning referred to as ESC.

There are two different sizes....ESC (tuning) did sell the short one & there is a picture of it in this thread...

I have corrected the with & without heatshield part numbers..I have on the first ESC added "Tuning" & then stated "hereafter referred to as ESC"....

most people know who ESC is..there does not appear to be an ESC & an ESC Tuning...both dealing in aftermarket VAG car parts...:cool:

linky to the picture in this thread of the short cover that ESC sold....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605439&postcount=289

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
There are two different sizes....ESC (tuning) did sell the short one & there is a picture of it in this thread...

I have corrected the with & without heatshield part numbers..I have on the first ESC added "Tuning" & then stated "hereafter referred to as ESC"....

most people know who ESC is..there does not appear to be an ESC & an ESC Tuning...both dealing in aftermarket VAG car parts...:cool:

linky to the picture in this thread of the short cover that ESC sold....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605439&postcount=289

but it's ECS not ESC

thx fior making the corrections to the p/ns - would hate to see someone order the wrong part like I did if it can be avoided.

I believe 5Q0825230J may be the short cover but I've not had time to look further into it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
but it's ECS not ESC

thx fior making the corrections to the p/ns - would hate to see someone order the wrong part like I did if it can be avoided.

I believe 5Q0825230J may be the short cover but I've not had time to look further into it.

ESC/ECS....motherfecking ..face palm.....:eek:

auto correct & dyslexia rules ko...:D

I'll have a look at that Part no also...see if I get something as people have fitted it & ordered it as "H" so WTF is VW sodding around again with the part numbers...:confused:

EDIT..."J" it is...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=5...dAhWJzKQKHZViBM0QsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1604&bih=855

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to add a data point of verification, I ordered 5Q0825229C, which is the long version exhaust tunnel cover and it has the heat shield.

That's the one I fitted at the beginning...at least they haven't changed the part number on that..!!:cool: