GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Picked up my parts today, will be doing the install in a couple weeks when I install my summer wheels & tires.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Scratch that... it doesn't fit the GTE.
Here's an image of the part:

It has the right locations for the mounting points, but it's a bit too wide, or so it seems.

After doing a lot of searching and a couple of new tries to fit the panel, here's the reason it's not fitting on the GTE:

The long panels on the side, part 10 on the right image, are straight on the GTE, while they match the 5Q0 825 229/230 part on the regular Golf/GTI.
I made a drawing to explain:

And here are the 5Q0 825 202 parts from the regular Golf/GTI and GTE compared:

Regular, 5Q0 825 202L:

GTE, 5Q0 825 202R:

Comparison, which shows the screws are aligned differently as well, so I guess there's no retrofitting the L part :-(

So to all GTE drivers out there: we're screwed :(

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
After doing a lot of searching and a couple of new tries to fit the panel, here's the reason it's not fitting on the GTE:

The long panels on the side, part 10 on the right image, are straight on the GTE, while they match the 5Q0 825 229/230 part on the regular Golf/GTI.
I made a drawing to explain:

So to all GTE drivers out there: we're screwed :(

I know that the GTE has the battery pack where the fuel tank is & the fuel tank where the spare wheel is....BUT I would have thought VW would have used the basic side panels & just shortened them...not make totally new ones!!

Maybe they did that to stop you fitting these other aero panels as it MIGHT cause overheating of the exhaust due to the exhaust running close to the battery pack area further back...
Also the rear exhaust covers will not fit due to battery packs etc...

HOWEVER you could still fit the short cover 5Q0 825 230 H, Lining (cover) short length

Just re-reading my original posts I was dubious about the fitment of the cover to the GTE and any Golf which has the front silencer in that position...as basically VW give it codes for the engines where there is only the exhaust pipe there...the GTE has a silencer there.....

Re-doing my posts clearer

Last edited:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I know that the GTE has the battery pack where the fuel tank is & the fuel tank where the spare wheel is....BUT I would have thought VW would have used the basic side panels & just shortened them...not make totally new ones!!

Maybe they did that to stop you fitting these other aero panels as it MIGHT cause overheating of the exhaust due to the exhaust running close to the battery pack area further back...
Also the rear exhaust covers will not fit due to battery packs etc...

HOWEVER you could still fit the short cover 5Q0 825 230 H, Lining (cover) short length

Just re-reading my original posts I was dubious about the fitment of the cover to the GTE and any Golf which has the front silencer in that position...as basically VW give it codes for the engines where there is only the exhaust pipe there...the GTE has a silencer there.....

Re-doing my posts clearer

I like your analysis :) Thank you!
Sounds pretty logical that VW kept the exhaust clear on purpose.

The short cover, is it this one:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I like your analysis :) Thank you!
Sounds pretty logical that VW kept the exhaust clear on purpose.

The short cover, is it this one:

That's the short cover...it mainly fits the rear subframe brackets....just double check the side aero covers GTE/normal to double check the adjoining area...:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
:cool: ordered. expected delivery is next week, I'll make pics of before/after, so you can add them to the first post :)

That will be good to complete the info for people. :cool:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Curious if anyone got their $77 skid try yet? Mine seems to have disappeared from tracking on March 23rd:

Estimated Delivery: Tue. Mar. 27 - Fri. Mar. 30

Beladung
Mar-23-18, 04:40 AM
Weiterleitung zur Exportbearbeitung
Mar-23-18, 04:34 AM
Mar-22-18, 11:57 AM
Keine weiteren Details erforderlich
Mar-22-18, 19:01 PM

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious if anyone got their $77 skid try yet? Mine seems to have disappeared from tracking on March 23rd:

Mine went dark on Mar 23rd as well. Expected delivery for GTA is Apr 5th.

Fairly consistent with previous experiences for euro shipping. Usually just shows up at my door before any updates.

Renck

Ready to race!

Beladung
Mar-23-18, 04:40 AM
Mar-23-18, 04:34 AM
Mar-22-18, 11:57 AM
Keine weiteren Details erforderlich
Mar-22-18, 19:01 PM

Mine went dark on Mar 23rd as well. Expected delivery for GTA is Apr 5th.

Fairly consistent with previous experiences for euro shipping. Usually just shows up at my door before any updates.

Guys, have you tried this DHL tracking link?

https://nolp.dhl.de/nextt-online-public/en/search

In my case is showing the status below and originally was saying the package was supposed to be delivered yesterday (March 30th):

Thu, 29.03.18 09:12 United States
The shipment has cleared customs in the destination country.
Wed, 28.03.18 00:01 United States
The shipment has arrived in the destination country
Fri, 23.03.18 04:52 IPZ-Ffm, Germany
The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.usps.com/)
Fri, 23.03.18 04:48 Rodgau, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Wed, 21.03.18 20:30 Neumark, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

Please notice that USPS link, click on that one and then enter your DHL tracking # and it should give you another update.

I hope this helps.