GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

ADVNTURR

Passed Driver's Ed
An update for anyone else who is planning to try and use this OEM route to get some protection on the underside; VW has changed the part number from the one originally noted by golfdave for the rough service "skid plate." The part number change made for a very long wait for me to get my parts so hopefully this will save someone else some frustration.

For reference, 3Q0825902 now supersedes 5Q0825902C and the price has gone up to $282.48 US. The brackets still work and all of the hardware does work. An additional note, I ended up using two of the N0195307 bolts to secure the brackets on my 2016 .:R because the hex heads were easier to access than the spline heads called for. Lastly, because I didn't see it in the post (but I may have missed it) all of the hardware for the brackets and the "skid" are 20Nm per the FSM

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks!!

An update for anyone else who is planning to try and use this OEM route to get some protection on the underside; VW has changed the part number from the one originally noted by golfdave for the rough service "skid plate." The part number change made for a very long wait for me to get my parts so hopefully this will save someone else some frustration.

For reference, 3Q0825902 now supersedes 5Q0825902C and the price has gone up to $282.48 US. The brackets still work and all of the hardware does work. An additional note, I ended up using two of the N0195307 bolts to secure the brackets on my 2016 .:R because the hex heads were easier to access than the spline heads called for. Lastly, because I didn't see it in the post (but I may have missed it) all of the hardware for the brackets and the "skid" are 20Nm per the FSM

Thanks for the info I will update the main front page & credit.

That part number by the way is not a MK7 Golf item as these start "5Q0", so I did some searching on ETKA & that's a part for the RDW 2015- Passat!

It does also list it for the MK7 Golf (USA only) 2015-

My part 5Q0 still shows correctly & the only one for the Europe MK7 Golf

Maybe because here in Europe the 5Q0 number is readily available as factory option in some countries, but in USA they ship over the 3Q0 for the Passat which also does the Golf.

They still state bolts N10574702, but thanks for the alternatives & yes I forgot the torque setting!!!

:cool:

sabo

Ready to race!
golfdave....have a MY 2016 R looking to do the engine tray and front exhaust...would you page one part numbers apply...just want to make sure.....lots of info here to decipher....

looks like anything in rear exhaust area i'm out of luck with R...

any help would be appreciated..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave....have a MY 2016 R looking to do the engine tray and front exhaust...would you page one part numbers apply...just want to make sure.....lots of info here to decipher....

Front skid tray & front exhaust tunnel will fit as per my posts. Just remember the person a few posts back who used USA Passat part numbers, as these are correct for the front skid tray in USA & with ETKA!!:cool:

I am hooping to re0write my posts clearer etc, just got a lot on at the moment!

SRoads

Ready to race!

the front exhaust cover does not fit the R.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
the front exhaust cover does not fit the R.

Thanks!....just double checked with ETKA now I have assess back...

Forgot that the 4wd has a Pr code 1X1 & the rear black metal brace we have to fix the rear of the cover to.......the 4wd has a different brace to hold the cardan shaft instead......

SRoads

Ready to race!
Thanks!....just double checked with ETKA now I have assess back...

Forgot that the 4wd has a Pr code 1X1 & the rear black metal brace we have to fix the rear of the cover to.......the 4wd has a different brace to hold the cardan shaft instead......

Exactly; you got it...but if someone really wants the tunnel cover, they could probably buy a regular golf/gti brace and bolt it up underneath the bearing carrier and make the cover work...but we would need a guinea pig to try it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Exactly; you got it...but if someone really wants the tunnel cover, they could probably buy a regular golf/gti brace and bolt it up underneath the bearing carrier and make the cover work...but we would need a guinea pig to try it.

My thoughts exactly as "our" brace is just a thin sheet with bent edges, you could just undo the cardan brace bolts & then fit "our" brace & then rebolt. You would have to check bolt length put a few "mm" is neither here or there, or get longer bolts.

It would however drop the rear of the cover down closer to the road by the thickness of the cardan brace where it bolts to the body. Also the side locating wings may not fit perfect behind the side covers, but those could be heated up & bent to suit.

would it be worth it? I think so, stops a lot of rubbish gunking up that bearing on the cardan shaft mount for starters.............:cool:

sabo

Ready to race!
My thoughts exactly as "our" brace is just a thin sheet with bent edges, you could just undo the cardan brace bolts & then fit "our" brace & then rebolt. You would have to check bolt length put a few "mm" is neither here or there, or get longer bolts.

It would however drop the rear of the cover down closer to the road by the thickness of the cardan brace where it bolts to the body. Also the side locating wings may not fit perfect behind the side covers, but those could be heated up & bent to suit.

would it be worth it? I think so, stops a lot of rubbish gunking up that bearing on the cardan shaft mount for starters.............:cool:

i'm willing to be the guinea pig on the exhaust tunnel cover for the R, but can either of you point me to the correct p/n to buy?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
i'm willing to be the guinea pig on the exhaust tunnel cover for the R, but can either of you point me to the correct p/n to buy?

The post earlier on in this thread on the front exhaust tunnel cover...:-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103088&postcount=3

The metal brace that is fitted to the 2wd cars is this

Item no.15 5Q0 804 421B Reinforcement for tunnel
ETKA page 803005

http://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/8/803-803005/#15

:cool:

Let use know how it goes & I'll add the info & credit in the correct post here!

I am re-wirting these threads clearer hopefully....just busy at the moment!

familie trukvagen

Golfdave, Thanks for the guide. I ordered the parts linked in my post a few posts back and everything went very smoothly for the rear exhaust tray and rear axle covers. The front belly pan that I received was slightly different than yours and did not need the extra brackets (26 and 27), not even having holes for them. The Front exhaust tunnel cover mod might not work for my 2015 U.S. 1.8 TSI wagon. The main catalyst is in that spot and might bake under another panel. In your picture there is a straight pipe. I ended up having this piece: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/lining/5q0825230j/ but can't figure out where it goes. Edit: I figured that last piece out. It fits over the leading edge of the catalyst tunnel.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The front belly pan that I received was slightly different than yours and did not need the extra brackets (26 and 27), not even having holes for them.

That's because it is NOT the skid tray...that is just an aero tray...

The Front exhaust tunnel cover mod might not work for my 2015 U.S. 1.8 TSI wagon. The main catalyst is in that spot and might bake under another panel. In your picture there is a straight pipe. I ended up having this piece: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/lining/5q0825230j/ but can't figure out where it goes. Edit: I figured that last piece out. It fits over the leading edge of the catalyst tunnel.

That's instead of my longer foil backed item..yours is shown in the ETKA diagram
Answers in bold

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
GolfDave many thanks for your efforts in researching and posting your troubles of doing this!

At the time I secured my Golf Estate, my first intentions were to do exactly this to the underside as I know the extent in which a fully(ish) panelled underbody can affect the way in which a car handles, performs.....
Once I received the car I started your thread and bought the lot, including claiming on the warranty the tow hitch cover and fitted them within the first few weeks of the car being in my hands.

Apologies if I'm repeating a question asked previously but to your knowledge is there a mid section panel for the tunnel between the two cross members?
Many thanks
Connor