GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Retro-Fit Illuminated Overhead Console Panel

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
It's very strange. I'm not aware of any coding that changes this but if anyone figures it out, let me know! Would be the best of both worlds to have the buttons + segmented operation.
Thanks for this write-up! Has anyone tried swapping the buttons? Or does the actual function of the driver's side light button change when you swap panels?

Last edited:

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Finally I was able to figure this out - illumination is connection KL58d.
So in my case i had to add wire from pin 3 in overhead light to pin 10 in light switch.

Bumping an old thread here... So I have this problem (buttons not illuminated after the swap) and you're saying I have to run a wire from the dome light all the way down to the headlight switch? So across the headliner, down the a pillar, and pin it into the back of the round headlight switch? Not sure that's worth it. ๐Ÿ˜”

Last edited:

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Bumping an old thread here... So I have this problem (buttons not illuminated after the swap) and you're saying I have to run a wire from the dome light all the way down to the headlight switch? So across the headliner, down the a pillar, and pin it into the back of the round headlight switch? Not sure that's worth it. ๐Ÿ˜”
It's not as hard as you think, you can be sure of that

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
It's not as hard as you think, you can be sure of that

I'm sure it's not hard, but tedious. Isn't there a wire up in the existing dome light harness that I can tap into? I don't understand why some of these have illuminated buttons and some don't.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I'm sure it's not hard, but tedious. Isn't there a wire up in the existing dome light harness that I can tap into? I don't understand why some of these have illuminated buttons and some don't.
2015 to 2017 are illuminated; 2018-2021 VW stuck a cheaper, non-illuminated part up there. What I (everyone?) did who has a 2018+ is buy the part from the 2015-2017 and stick it up there instead. It's plug and play afaik.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
2015 to 2017 are illuminated; 2018-2021 VW stuck a cheaper, non-illuminated part up there. What I (everyone?) did who has a 2018+ is buy the part from the 2015-2017 and stick it up there instead. It's plug and play afaik.

Yeah, that's what I thought I bought for my wife's 2020 GLI, but I guess I got a MK7.5 part (part # 5TA 947 105 B WH1). :confused:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yeah, that's what I thought I bought for my wife's 2020 GLI, but I guess I got a MK7.5 part (part # 5TA 947 105 B WH1). :confused:
Yeah that sounds like the wrong part #. They vary based on color and whether you have a sunroof or not (listed out in the first post of this thread.) Not sure if the GLI uses the same part or not.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Anyone know if you can get the rear one w/backlit button as well?

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT

tigeo

Autocross Champion
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...JfHffvn93ltjguF5lxpL3e3zbHmtA_cUGbInJXZGaSEFE

Front and rear available there. It sounds like the rear also works in a Mk7.5. On my 2018 Alltrack, there is a single button and single light plus a dummy cover for the rear lights (above the rear doors). It looks like the 2017 part plugs right in and adds a second light, but the buttons are not illuminated.
Yes, that's the one I bought. I'm looking for the central overhead second row unit but having back-lilt buttons like the front...I don't think anyone has it.