GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

Giuseppe Busso

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon mk3 1.8 FR
Just installed the new heat cover. It's not perfect (a little bigger perimeter) but i like it.
6-A97921-B-9872-4-F7-B-B658-AA616-B3294-FF.jpg
C5-AE1-BE7-25-A8-4537-B706-E43-DDE2-EF147.jpg

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Item No.12:- 5Q0 915 411H, Protective battery casing with flap for battery 69Ah/360A, 68Ah/380A, 72Ah/380A (H6/096 case size) for vehicles with, or without stop start, £23.02 (x1)

My battery crapped out this morning after 4 years. 2019 Golf R which came with an EFB battery. I am leaning towards buying a AGM battery to replace it.

Should the protective cover be replaced also? My current one only covers the sides and not the top.

Stuck at work so I have to make a quick decision so I can get home. Plus side is where I work has both EFB and AGM in stock.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Item No.12:- 5Q0 915 411H, Protective battery casing with flap for battery 69Ah/360A, 68Ah/380A, 72Ah/380A (H6/096 case size) for vehicles with, or without stop start, £23.02 (x1)

My battery crapped out this morning after 4 years. 2019 Golf R which came with an EFB battery. I am leaning towards buying a AGM battery to replace it.

Should the protective cover be replaced also? My current one only covers the sides and not the top.

Stuck at work so I have to make a quick decision so I can get home. Plus side is where I work has both EFB and AGM in stock.

If the new battery case size is the same as the one in the car then the existing cover will fit..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Same size H6 case. I bought the AGM instead of the EFB.

What about the top cover? Mine only covers the sides and not the top.

It will fit.....as I upgraded to a H6 case size which was the reason for this post.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Warning: the bigger battery cover 5Q0915411H is no longer available from E-ACCA and a few other outlets. It is still listed as being available at E-ACCA, but when i ordered it from them they sent me 5WA915418B instead. That part is half the battery height and has no lid flap, cuz it is half the battery height. i contacted them and they said their vendor told them it was a replacement and that the original part number is listed as no longer available. Looking around i see 5Q0915411H still listed as availabe from some places including my local dealer, but other places list it as discontinued. Be careful ordering the bigger battery cover.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So the battery in my 2019 is starting to crap out. I have been reading through all these threads and know I need an H6 ~70ah AGM battery, but what brand of battery is actually reliable these days. Seems like its a gamble no matter where you go. Autozone/Advanced Auto/Oriely all carry their house brands which I am sure are all from the same place, and they run around $250. Costco sells their Interstate H6 AGM battery for $170 which I will probably go with just due to cost and I am sure at this rate they are all the same shit. Everyone has the 3 year warranty and I carry a jump pack in my trunk so if it ever shits the bed I will be fine.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
This is what a bought a few months ago when my 19 OE shit the bed. Good battery and warranty at a good price.
Ended up picking up the costco interstate before they closed. Before buying it I was reading online and everyone was saying once interstate switched their production to mexico the quality went down the toilet. I went to costco and the batteries werent the typical green top/white case, instead they were all black. I picked one that was made in the last 30 days and when I got home I took off the sticker and saw it was made in Germany. So for $170 im pretty damn happy.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ended up picking up the costco interstate before they closed. Before buying it I was reading online and everyone was saying once interstate switched their production to mexico the quality went down the toilet. I went to costco and the batteries werent the typical green top/white case, instead they were all black. I picked one that was made in the last 30 days and when I got home I took off the sticker and saw it was made in Germany. So for $170 im pretty damn happy.

Liable to be Varta/Bosch made then!... (y)

My Bosch that I installed in Jan 2015 is still going strong!...Mine you I do have a CTEK battery charger/conditioner which does AGM & it goes on the battery every couple of months to "top-it-up"....:cool:

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Warning: the bigger battery cover 5Q0915411H is no longer available from E-ACCA and a few other outlets. It is still listed as being available at E-ACCA, but when i ordered it from them they sent me 5WA915418B instead. That part is half the battery height and has no lid flap, cuz it is half the battery height. i contacted them and they said their vendor told them it was a replacement and that the original part number is listed as no longer available. Looking around i see 5Q0915411H still listed as availabe from some places including my local dealer, but other places list it as discontinued. Be careful ordering the bigger battery cover.
Can confirm, just tried to order and they said item has been superseded.

I ended up ordering off eBay for the part, the vendor instantly changed the listing to the new part number after I ordered. Wonder which part number will show up...

edit: received 5WA915418B; no good.

Last edited:

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Sorry if this is beating a dead horse….but there is truly so much conflicting answers I just have to ask.

I have a 2021 6MT with NO bcm module. My stock battery just shit the bed at 30k miles and I need to replace it.

Do I need to program for a new one? I do not have vcds or obdeleven and do not have a bcm module.

Obviously I want the battery to last as long as it can but I can’t seem to find a straight answer of whether or not I need to code for the new battery without a bcm. I don’t want to go buy an obdeleven (even though I know it will be handy beyond this) simply in order to replace the battery as I’d like to get her back on the road asap.

Can someone simply give me a yes or no answer on whether or not I need to code for a new battery if I DO NOT have a bcm?

Thank you!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry if this is beating a dead horse….but there is truly so much conflicting answers I just have to ask.

I have a 2021 6MT with NO bcm module. My stock battery just shit the bed at 30k miles and I need to replace it.

Do I need to program for a new one? I do not have vcds or obdeleven and do not have a bcm module.

Obviously I want the battery to last as long as it can but I can’t seem to find a straight answer of whether or not I need to code for the new battery without a bcm. I don’t want to go buy an obdeleven (even though I know it will be handy beyond this) simply in order to replace the battery as I’d like to get her back on the road asap.

Can someone simply give me a yes or no answer on whether or not I need to code for a new battery if I DO NOT have a bcm?

Thank you!

So you don't have the funny little extra wire terminal on the negative cable on the battery...????

No "extra wire"= no stop/start module......not "NO BCM".....

Your car is a 2021yr, & VAG in the Audi have been burying the Battery coding coding in the main BCM for over 16yrs at least...

Most cars since 2016yr need loads of coding etc just for a simple component change, ..wait till you see an electric car!!...

Last edited:

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
So you don't have the funny little extra wire terminal on the negative cable on the battery...????

No "extra wire"= no stop/start module......not "NO BCM".....

Your car is a 2021yr, & VAG in the Audi have been burying the Battery coding coding in the main BCM for over 16yrs at least...

Most cars since 2016yr need loads of coding etc just for a simple component change, ..wait till you see an electric car!!...
So the wire isn’t for the battery control module? It’s specifically for the stsrt stop module? That was my understanding of your original breakdown. Already been chastised on other threads for even using BCM to refer to the battery control since apparently that means Body Control Module to some people lol.

But yes either way I have no stop/stsrt module or wire coming off the negative terminal.

I’ve also quickly learned just how ridiculous it is just to change a battery on this car and have ordered an obdeleven device to do the necessary coding. Didn’t want to but I’m sure it will be handy for other stuff as well. Never had a car before where this was necessary.

I still find it hilarious though how there is no definitive answer even among this forum of whether or not it’s necessary when you don’t have the stop/start module. For every person that says it is there’s another that says it isn’t. And then you get talked to like a child because you didn’t read enough other threads that all have conflicting answers in them too (NOT talking about you specifically at all btw I truly appreciate your detailed post and responses!) Forum culture is funny like that

BUT I DIGRESS…obdeleven is on its way and the car is garaged until I receive that and can do it “properly”. Thank god for working from home and for girlfriends’ beaters

Last edited: