GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I've been rewriting the thread..that black fabric battery cover is actually a fiberglass heat shield...VAG consider the engine bay a high temperature area for the battery which is why they shield it..there is also a polystyrene shield under the tray...they also state if you fit an AGM it should be shielded.....if you don't use the VAG one get something else...but don't leave it unshielded as it will affect the battery as water loss/positive grid corrosion etc...might occur...
Weird. I don’t think our 2019 Alltrack came with one...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Weird. I don’t think our 2019 Alltrack came with one...

If the car was fitted with AGM at factory then it will have one......if it was fitted with EFB it might have one....but it looks like they decided to remove them around Mk7.5 facelift...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If the car was fitted with AGM at factory then it will have one......if it was fitted with EFB it might have one....but it looks like they decided to remove them around Mk7.5 facelift...
Thats what I thought I recalled. I’ll check when I get my kid off to school.

It must not be that important really, though my wife’s 2015 Golf factory battery did last over 5 years and was still going when I replaced it.

Edit: The Alltrack does indeed have a cover, but it’s only around the battery, doesn’t have a lid.

Last edited:

rawrmcrawrrawr

Car(s)
2018 Audi A4
It might be helpful to edit the first post to include coding instructions for the battery technology adaptation. For example:

Normal battery = "Wet"
EFB battery= "EFB"
EFB+ battery= "EFB+"
AGM battery= "Fleece"
LiFePO4 battery = "Lithium ions"

I see far too many people incorrectly selecting "Binary AGM" when installing AGM batteries.

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI

In hot countries (there's a PR Code for that) they also have the fabric shield. I'm from Israel and all VAG cars get the fabric shield as it's considered a hot country.

Fun fact: When you service your car, if they have to take out the battery for some reason, 90% of the time they forget to bring back the cover so I always watch closely. One time I saw one technician not put it and when I asked him why he said "it's useless". I told him that if it was useless VW would not have bothered to install it, so it's there for a reason.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It might be helpful to edit the first post to include coding instructions for the battery technology adaptation. For example:

Normal battery = "Wet"
EFB battery= "EFB"
EFB+ battery= "EFB_plus"
AGM battery= "Fleece"
LiFePO4 battery = "Lithium_ion"

I see far too many people incorrectly selecting "Binary AGM" when installing AGM batteries.

When I wrote the post the back in late early 2015 info was correct as far as anybody was aware using the version of VCDS then.....when did Ross Tech say the Binary AGM isn't for AGM batteries??

Found my original post on Ross-Tech forum when I asked about "Binary AGM" so I set mine to this.....& they didn't have any other info back then as the platform was so new to them.. (I'm under the name "VAG-Dave)

MK7 Golf Estate, CAN-Gateway, Battery type info | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)

Somebody else in December 2018 on Ross Tech here..

Adaptation for AGM battery, NAR Mk7 GTI | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Normal battery = "Wet"
EFB battery= "EFB"
EFB+ battery= "EFB_plus"
AGM battery= "Fleece"
LiFePO4 battery = "Lithium_ion"

So what's the other options then??

Battery Tech in VCDS.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just recoded my car to "Fleece" & also changed the serial number by one digit to force the BCM to forget the learnt values & treat the battery as a new installation...mind you just looking at 60Ah (H6 case) LiFePO4 batteries which have dropped in price....& half the weight!!

rawrmcrawrrawr

Car(s)
2018 Audi A4
When I wrote the post the back in late early 2015 info was correct as far as anybody was aware using the version of VCDS then.....when did Ross Tech say the Binary AGM isn't for AGM batteries??

Found my original post on Ross-Tech forum when I asked about "Binary AGM" so I set mine to this.....& they didn't have any other info back then as the platform was so new to them.. (I'm under the name "VAG-Dave)

MK7 Golf Estate, CAN-Gateway, Battery type info | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)

Somebody else in December 2018 on Ross Tech here..

Adaptation for AGM battery, NAR Mk7 GTI | Ross-Tech Forums (ross-tech.com)
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/27002/

Binary-AGM is mistranslated from German. It's actually meant to say Bipolar AGM.
https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/johnson-controls-licenses-rugged-bipolar-battery-technology

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.18.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.18.19 AM.png
    409.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7

Facelifted cars still have the cloth cover. EFB only around the battery, AGM also with lid as they are more sensitive to high temperature.

Also, I’ve seen hatchbacks with full cover and variants (wagons) with only partial despite having similar power units setups but it’s notorious for Mk7 that variants are shaved versus hatchbacks despite being more expensive (at least in our market and factory where variants were made are few miles from our border).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Normal battery = "Wet"
EFB battery= "EFB"
EFB+ battery= "EFB+"
AGM battery= "Fleece"
LiFePO4 battery = "Lithium ions"

First post re-written, credited info (to you) & more comprehensive & up to date...

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
FYI just done VCDS coding to friend of mine pre-facelifted Mk7 with 2.0TDI that had AGM stock battery. Replaced with aftermarket AGM and the adaptation from factory already showed "Fleece" type so we left it unchaged.

Many thanks for updated conclustion in the 1st post - you were right boys!

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Last edited: