GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the great write up here. I appreciate you taking the time, as it really help me, and others out.

I didn't go to the trouble of getting a bigger battery, but I did switch from a stock battery to an AGM with more CCA. I invested in the ODBeleven so I could update the Battery fields. Your write was a HUGE help with that.

Glad you got it sorted!!..& AGM even for the same case size has more amps & is just way better in cold temps & way safer in a crash...!!

rking3

Car(s)
2016GTI; 2020Tiguan
Hey golfdave

Will the AP7610 work for the necessary coding and registration?
Or would I need the VD700?

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey golfdave

Will the AP7610 work for the necessary coding and registration?
Or would I need the VD700?

Thanks

No idea I don't use them...& don't I know if they do coding.....& there is no need to "register" anything its not like component protection...

rking3

Car(s)
2016GTI; 2020Tiguan
No idea I don't use them...& don't I know if they do coding.....& there is no need to "register" anything its not like component protection...

Thanks

Are you just using a cable to your PC?
I am not familiar with VCDS, but when I google it, those options come up for coding

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks

Are you just using a cable to your PC?
I am not familiar with VCDS, but when I google it, those options come up for coding

I use the latest VCDS (unlimited VIN) with the latest bought cable connected to a laptop ..(cable which cost me over £400)..I do coding for other peoples cars.....

the free version of VCDS is a very old program & doesn't work properly with the newer CAN modules as the MK7 Golf etc..

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you need something a little more budget friendly, look up ODBEleven (ODB11). It's a similar setup that allows you to make coding changes to your vehicle and check other items. I haven't used it personally, but I believe it's a bit cheaper depending on the functions you need.

rking3

Car(s)
2016GTI; 2020Tiguan
If you need something a little more budget friendly, look up ODBEleven (ODB11). It's a similar setup that allows you to make coding changes to your vehicle and check other items. I haven't used it personally, but I believe it's a bit cheaper depending on the functions you need.

Yes I've heard about that and the pro version
I think the two I referenced above, the AP7610 and the VD700 should perform the same functions
But was asking for a double check

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'd skip Optima - their quality went downhill about a decade ago when they were bought out and production moved out of the USA. Just get the best Group 48 AGM battery you can find at the best price. I went with a Duracell from Batteries+ because they have a 4-year full replacement warranty, which is a good thing to have in Arizona. But just about any equivalent battery will perform just as well.

rking3

Car(s)
2016GTI; 2020Tiguan
Golfdave! Huge shout-out and thanks to you
Install is tight but obviously doable
Coding can be done on the vd700 but wasn't as simple as advertised
My choice was between 3 batteries

https://www.samsclub.com/p/auto-group-48-h6-agm-36-mo-free/prod9510085

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-t...gm-group-size-48-760-cca/319460_1363977_25698

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ttery-group-size-h6-760-cca-h6-agm/10210829-P

Decided on the diehard

I went through 2 factory batteries in less than 4 years. No way I was replacing it with the same OEM corner cutting battery.

Attachments

• F3ABCA05-9433-41DA-9C1D-2BF89582E0ED.jpeg
    F3ABCA05-9433-41DA-9C1D-2BF89582E0ED.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 702
  • 3C637915-DD0E-428F-B7CC-BCB5CE57C93D.jpeg
    3C637915-DD0E-428F-B7CC-BCB5CE57C93D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 325
  • 87C50BD6-3B74-40B3-891D-3D831FE8CECE.jpeg
    87C50BD6-3B74-40B3-891D-3D831FE8CECE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 333

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but do Golf Mk7 TSi cars with no 'Start-Stop' have an internal BCM and/or need to reprogram the computer when changing the battery via scanner tool? Tnx.