GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are you familiar with the Mk. 6 CAN? I was told that in the Mk.6 platform you can drop in the GU1R and the vehicle self learns the new battery so no coding is required. I had hoped that the Mk.7 platform would react the same.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes & yes...

However by using VCDS it speeds things up & the battery life is better used. Also with either an AGM or lithium which are very different to standard or EFB batteries the MK7 platform might not auto adapt..or make full use of the battery.

The MK7 electronics are very advanced...best to tell it with VCDS as to what battery it has....better safe than sorry in my book..:cool:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Yes & yes...

However by using VCDS it speeds things up & the battery life is better used. Also with either an AGM or lithium which are very different to standard or EFB batteries the MK7 platform might not auto adapt..or make full use of the battery.

The MK7 electronics are very advanced...best to tell it with VCDS as to what battery it has....better safe than sorry in my book..:cool:
I definitely agree with you; however, I'm not sure the adaptation via VCDS will allow me to code in the Braille Battery GU1R correctly.

I believe via adaptation we only have three types to choose from: Wet, AGM or EFB. Which one is the most similar to Lithium, AGM?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I believe via adaptation we only have three types to choose from: Wet, AGM or EFB. Which one is the most similar to Lithium, AGM?

I last time I looked there were more than 3 type..maybe 6 types in the options in VCDS in the BCM..

Elwood

3-7-77
For interested people on this side of the pond:
Battery sizes UK 027 and UK 096 don't exist in North America. If you're looking for the larger battery, look for Group 48 batteries. There aren't a lot around, but they are available.

Here are three:

Interstate MT7 48/H6 730 CCA (CostCo sells a Group 29 Interstate battery which is not available elsewhere, but would fit)
NorthStar Group 48 Battery NSB-AGM48 L3,H6
Deka Intimidator 9A48 Battery

BTW, My 2007 GTI had the larger battery in it. VW is just cutting corners (as we suspected).

Last edited:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I last time I looked there were more than 3 type..maybe 6 types in the options in VCDS in the BCM..

You are correct, there are several choices and "Lithium ions" is one of them:

IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Adapted to "39" Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Adapted to "Lithium ions"

IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Adapted to "Braille Battery", however, when it accepted it shortened to "Bra"

IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Adapted from "ille Battery" to the serial number provided with new battery purchase "XXXXXXX"

Interesting how the "ille Battery" was carried over to the Battery Serial number from the Battery Manufacturer adaptation.

I logged the following in VCDS after the changes were made with the engine running:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (5Q0 907 530 AC)

21:38:47
IDE01834 Battery voltage 13.705 V
IDE06468-MAS06317 Battery model-Specification rated battery voltage from BTM 13.3 V
IDE08346-MAS06117 Generator Analysis-Rated voltage 14.3 V
IDE08346-MAS06864 Generator Analysis-Generator actual voltage 14.1 V

As I cycled on the headlights, radio and A/C system these numbers changed dynamically. I'm a bit concerned with the Battery Model Specification rated battery voltage from BTM 13.3 V, however, that's what the rated battery voltage is for Lithium ions within the control module.

Elwood

3-7-77
I just did this mod today. I ended up removing the airbox so I could install the mounting bolt in the new location. There's not a lot of room to get your hands down there with a bigger battery in place.

BTW, when I went into VCDS to change the adaptations, the serial number field was blank. I put the date in there (14SEP17). If I ever go back, I'll know when the battery was installed.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just did this mod today. I ended up removing the airbox so I could install the mounting bolt in the new location. There's not a lot of room to get your hands down there with a bigger battery in place.

BTW, when I went into VCDS to change the adaptations, the serial number field was blank. I put the date in there (14SEP17). If I ever go back, I'll know when the battery was installed.

Space depends on the engine you have..my 1.4 which is used on many world wide Golfs, has loads of room...also how fat are your fingers??...LOL...:D

Serial number may be blank, but basically you only need to change one digit to tell the BCM that a new battery has been fitted...

Travis9935

Ready to race!
So can we control the voltage? Mine always reads low 13's, anyway of raising that to 14.2ish
(to please my sub amp)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So can we control the voltage? Mine always reads low 13's, anyway of raising that to 14.2ish
(to please my sub amp)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

it should read 14v ish with engine running...

& NO there is no way of raising the voltage

only cause for poor voltage is you keep draining your battery (various reasons) & have a faulty alternator..

Elwood

3-7-77
Also, after disconnecting the battery, you will get several faults (ESC, front assist, TPMS, and one other, I think). They all clear after driving the car, but you may want to clear them with VCDS.

tmehanna

Passed Driver's Ed
I did something very stupid while replacing my battery, I placed the bolt from the tie down plate on top of the quarter panel and it immediately fell through the gap out of sight (and reach). Does anyone know the part number and/or the dimensions of the bolt. Item number 10 in the illustration

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Elwood

3-7-77
I was changing headlight bulbs and lost one in that crack (if its the same one I'm thinking of). Take off the front wheel and remove the fender liner (easy).