GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks GolfDave again for the detailed DIY., my standard 56ah battery, was its way out (3 yrs old)., with difficulty starting and occasional no enough power to start.

After researching with 70ah AGM Batteries (Interstate, Duracell and Duralast Autozone battery)., settled with the Duralast with 3yr replacement warranty one.

Fits perfectly on the craddle/base. Had a fibre/felt battery cover that did not fit (since the new duralast is bigger)., but was able to modify the sleeve (cut and reattached it to make it bigger.

Even the VCDS coding was very straight forward-
Battery Type
Battery Capacity
Serial Number.

Attached is the duralast battery model and spec, in case if someone is looking for it.

Glad you got it all done OK....& 3yrs isn't much compared to older cars & batteries...but is common on the MK7 Golfs & other MQB platform cars...

Timmehs

Firstly, thanks for the awesome tutorial golfdave!

I have started having a few strange issues with the infotainment unit, i.e. it no longer turns on immediately with the car and takes a few minutes to boot after after I press the button to turn it on. The dealer is useless and offering no help.

I have never replaced the OEM battery so am thinking, since this will likely need to be replaced soon (>4 years since delivery), this might be worth replacing to see if it helps any of the issues.

The car is an Australian 2015 Golf GTI (Performance pack 169kW). The stock battery lists the following: Varta EFB Technology 612 969 RA, 6R0 915 105 B 12V 69Ah 360A DIN 680A EN/SAE/GS, BEM Code: 6R0915105B VAO150117H1JJ 205 *VAO1F1H1JJB*

I am looking at upgrading to an AGM and considering two options.

1. Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 570 901 076
2. Optima Yellow Top H6 9048-148

They are similarly priced.

The Varta seems like the “safer” option as it is closer to a like-for-like replacement. However, the yellow top lists higher CCA (800 vs 760) and higher RC (140 vs 120).

Does anyone have experience with the Optima Yellow Top in a similar vehicle? Are they able to be programmed in via Ross-Tech VCDS?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The Varta seems like the “safer” option as it is closer to a like-for-like replacement. However, the yellow top lists higher CCA (800 vs 760) and higher RC (140 vs 120).

Does anyone have experience with the Optima Yellow Top in a similar vehicle? Are they able to be programmed in via Ross-Tech VCDS?

I have not looked at those batteries details 100%...

However the VCDS programming is to programme the cars BCM...NOT the battery....& you type in the brand name, AH etc...& optima are well regarded in 4x4 & race....

Timmehs

Thanks Dave. Understand that it is the cars BCM getting programmed, I was just unsure that Optima was a supported brand/model in the software. Very mixed reviews of modern Optima batteries on other forums. Have not ordered either yet but will post once I change over. Thanks again.

jackalope

Ready to race!

I have started having a few strange issues with the infotainment unit, i.e. it no longer turns on immediately with the car and takes a few minutes to boot after after I press the button to turn it on. The dealer is useless and offering no help.

I have never replaced the OEM battery so am thinking, since this will likely need to be replaced soon (>4 years since delivery), this might be worth replacing to see if it helps any of the issues.

The car is an Australian 2015 Golf GTI (Performance pack 169kW). The stock battery lists the following: Varta EFB Technology 612 969 RA, 6R0 915 105 B 12V 69Ah 360A DIN 680A EN/SAE/GS, BEM Code: 6R0915105B VAO150117H1JJ 205 *VAO1F1H1JJB*

I recommend the AGM X2Power battery I posted above. It's made in America unlike Optima and has good reviews everywhere. Mine gets drawn down a decent amount by my dashcams I leave on in the parking lot and it's been fine.

I didn't reprogram anything and I don't understand why people say you need to do that. AGM batteries can be charged faster than standard batteries. I guess if you had an AGM stock and switched to a lead acid you would need to reprogram. Maybe if I do some programming my AGM can charge faster? I haven't been able to find any details on how to actually do the programming people talk about.

Edit: I found the coding instructions https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I didn't reprogram anything and I don't understand why people say you need to do that. AGM batteries can be charged faster than standard batteries. I guess if you had an AGM stock and switched to a lead acid you would need to reprogram. Maybe if I do some programming my AGM can charge faster? I haven't been able to find any details on how to actually do the programming people talk about.

Edit: I found the coding instructions https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

The cars BCM needs to be "told" that is has new battery by altering the serial number by one digit...

Then due top the various stop start functions/battery regen etc you need to alter the AH rating & the battery type to match that on the battery.....

Early USA cars did not have the battery monitoring function..but if you have a strange black plastic block & thin wire on the negative/minus side then you have it.....

these cars like many others have masses of sensitive electronics best not to make them go FUBAR just because you can't bothered..

replicate

Go Kart Newbie

Dude just get a lithium ion. They are not that expensive and should last twice as long as an AGM (if you believe the marketing). The one I fitted in the video I bought in Aust.

https://youtu.be/OrbvCHDbmmw

jackalope

Ready to race!
The cars BCM needs to be "told" that is has new battery by altering the serial number by one digit...

Then due top the various stop start functions/battery regen etc you need to alter the AH rating & the battery type to match that on the battery.....

Early USA cars did not have the battery monitoring function..but if you have a strange black plastic block & thin wire on the negative/minus side then you have it.....

these cars like many others have masses of sensitive electronics best not to make them go FUBAR just because you can't bothered..

Yes I went to code it once I got a HEX-V2 and I realized there's no battery module which is what that coding affects. So if you don't have start stop there's nothing to change

jackalope

Ready to race!
Dude just get a lithium ion. They are not that expensive and should last twice as long as an AGM (if you believe the marketing). The one I fitted in the video I bought in Aust.

https://youtu.be/OrbvCHDbmmw

I don't think that's true... Lithium ion batteries are notorious for being finicky, prone to heat damage, and when they do fail they fail explosively. A variant, lithium polymer, are common for RC cars and they require careful charging and storage. You aren't even allowed to transport them by airplane

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Thanks for the DIY, OP! My battery died quite suddenly after just two years and eight months. But, it's worth noting that my electrical load is a tad higher than the average GTI owner. ;) Also...

Last year I got a Group 48 sealed deep cycle battery made by X2Power and it's much bigger than stock so I did this "mod". It's readily available from Batteries Plus stores: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli48agmdp

Thanks for sharing that. I upgraded to this AGM from Batteries+. I made a video and shared it at https://youtu.be/36OB96OtUsE.

Take Care,

Scott

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I did the adaption when I changed the battery. In retrospect, was it necessary if my car does not have the battery monitoring gadget on the negative terminal? None of the stored data matched the factory battery that I removed (except for the type and capacity). That threw me. I updated the data to match my new battery. The fact that the adaptation was accepted by the CAN Gateway suggests that it is useful info to the controller. But is it? Or is it ignored without battery monitoring function?

In short, is this step only necessary to cars with START/STOP (Mk7.5 in the US?) and/or those with the battery monitoring gadget?

Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Replaced my battery today with the Duracell AGM without issue. Thanks golfdave for the great information. Really appreciate it.

Nice to help...& My bigger battery is still ok...…!!

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Duracell 48(H6)AGM from Sam's Club or Batteries Plus. Think this is assembled in USA by East Penn (DEKA).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk