GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to modify & improve the gearshift for a MQ250 gearbox on a MK7 Golf

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi golfdave,
I went to the VW dealer for notchy shifts. The dealer informed me that for reverse gear, VW is already aware of the issue and they optimised the R-Gear to solve the issue. They replaced it in my Golf. After the replacement, R-Gear engagement seems to be better but still 1 to 2, 2 to 3 are notchy.

Gear stick bushes
Direct link:-
https://www.dieselgeek.com/Precision_VW_Shift_Shaft_bushings_for_MK4_p/shift-shaft.htm

These Dieselgeek bushes solve that problem & I would recommend this as the FIRST upgrade that should be carried out..otherwise you still have bad alignment problems..

Relay lever, also known as the “side to side”.
To improve the precision & eliminate flex/slop/slack etc.

You can then upgrade the cable end eye bushes with the 42 Draft Designs kit here:-
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Shifter-Bushing-Set--Mk5-6S-MY07_p_284.html

You can also upgrade the plastic main pivot bushes to the 42 Draft Designs kit here:-
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/VWAudi-Brass-Shifter-Relay-Lever-Bushings_p_999.html

For the “ultimate” set up I would get item 47 & the 42DD main pivot bushes instead of item 48. Then get the eye bush kit

So I decided to implement your suggestions to improve the gearshift in my MQ200 gearbox. Since I am not a pro as far as mechanicals are concerned, I am planning to go by easy steps first with the help of a friendly mechanic but as per your DIY instructions.
  1. Replacement of OEM gear shaft bushings with Dieselgeek bushings
  2. Replacement of OEM rubber cable end bushings with 42DD metal bushings
I have the following questions:
  1. Shall I also replace the plastic main pivot bushes with 42DD one and will it be compatible to my MQ200 gearbox?
  2. After replacing the cable end bushings, whether re-alignment of shifter cables is necessary?
Thanks in advance!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi golfdave,
I went to the VW dealer for notchy shifts. The dealer informed me that for reverse gear, VW is already aware of the issue and they optimised the R-Gear to solve the issue. They replaced it in my Golf. After the replacement, R-Gear engagement seems to be better but still 1 to 2, 2 to 3 are notchy.

So I decided to implement your suggestions to improve the gearshift in my MQ200 gearbox. Since I am not a pro as far as mechanicals are concerned, I am planning to go by easy steps first with the help of a friendly mechanic but as per your DIY instructions.
  1. Replacement of OEM gear shaft bushings with Dieselgeek bushings
  2. Replacement of OEM rubber cable end bushings with 42DD metal bushings
I have the following questions:
  1. Shall I also replace the plastic main pivot bushes with 42DD one and will it be compatible to my MQ200 gearbox?
  2. After replacing the cable end bushings, whether re-alignment of shifter cables is necessary?
Thanks in advance!

I listed two 42DD kits...one is for the metal side to side arm & metal main arm...which is a further modification...

The second 42DD kit I listed is a straight replacement for the existing bushes in the factory shift..ie one metal arm & one plastic side to side....

& the alignment will be required....

I think the cable shift eyes are the same on all mk7 gearboxes...

EDIT:-

the straight replacement for the factory shift bushes is:-

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-shifter-bushing-set-mk7-6s-my15/

However you have to do some modifications to the plastic, drilling & cutting....

My version of removing the plastic side to side lever & replacing with a metal VW version & then ordering the correct bushes for the pins & the brass sleeve bush's requires no cutting or drilling etc...

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I listed two 42DD kits...one is for the metal side to side arm & metal main arm...which is a further modification...

The second 42DD kit I listed is a straight replacement for the existing bushes in the factory shift..ie one metal arm & one plastic side to side....

& the alignment will be required....

I think the cable shift eyes are the same on all mk7 gearboxes...

EDIT:-

the straight replacement for the factory shift bushes is:-

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-shifter-bushing-set-mk7-6s-my15/

However you have to do some modifications to the plastic, drilling & cutting....

My version of removing the plastic side to side lever & replacing with a metal VW version & then ordering the correct bushes for the pins & the brass sleeve bush's requires no cutting or drilling etc...

Thanks golfdave for the instructions. As 1st step I will upgrade the gear stick bushings with Dieselgeek part and planning to upgrade the cable end bushings with ECS solid shifter cable bushings (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...t-rectangle-85mm-round-10mm/003929ecs0102akt/).

Has anyone already tried ECS solid shifter bushings?

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I have asked the ECS guys whether their solid shifter cable bushings is compatible with my 6-speed MQ200 gearbox but they don't have any clue about non-US models.

Can anyone please let me know whether the shifter cable ends (the 2 black pieces holding the 2 cable ends) are same in MQ200 gearbox and any one of the US models' gearbox.
Or how can I find it out myself?

Thanks in advance.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I recommend removing the "eyes" & measuring the holes & pins before ordering kits ...I also emailed 42DD with my pin sizes to double check before hand ....

If you use non oem parts that increases the variables...& a different kit may be required...I had to use a kit not for the MK7 Golf as I use a different metal side to side plate so the pin diameter was different to the stock MK7 Golf...

E2TK

I have a 1.6 liter TDI Seat Leon 2015 Model Manuel transmission 5 speed and my engine code is CLH.
I already upgrade my stock turbo 04L253016H (GTD1244MVZ Garett Turbo) now I have 04L253010B(GTD1449VZ Garrett Turbo)
I have already applied k&n air filter, EGR & DPF off and Downpipe together with Stage 2+ ECU tunning. Besides the last silencer in exhaust system is unmounted.

I want to apply short shifter to my car. Because gear ranges too long and also sometimes my car third gear not enter only at high engine speeds.(Aprox.4500rpm)
I ask my local SEAT service which gearshift lever use my car? They told me that (5Q0711046J) shift lever and (5Q0711202A)relay lever was used.

My question is, does this code(8J0711046D) fit my car? and Is it enough to only buy this part?
And what are your suggestions for the problem of not enter the third gear?

Last edited:

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Today I added ECS solid shifter bushings to both end linkages. The shifts feel a lot better compared to the stock bushings. There is a resistance during 4th to 3rd shift when vehicle is in motion & clutch pedal is depressed. But when vehicle is at standstill, there is no resistance during shift from 4th to 3rd.

Could someone please help me to find the issue.

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 1.6 liter TDI Seat Leon 2015 Model Manuel transmission 5 speed and my engine code is CLH.
I already upgrade my stock turbo 04L253016H (GTD1244MVZ Garett Turbo) now I have 04L253010B(GTD1449VZ Garrett Turbo)
I have already applied k&n air filter, EGR & DPF off and Downpipe together with Stage 2+ ECU tunning. Besides the last silencer in exhaust system is unmounted.

Nice setup:D

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the shifter shaft bushing (the first upgrade mentioned by golfdave) and honestly it's a game changer. I have the mq350 transmission and did a lot of the other bushing upgrade but this one made the most significant changes in my opinion and removed a lot of the slop.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi @golfdave,
Sorry for hijacking the thread with MQ350 questions but the thread for MQ350 is quite dead.
I have a couple of questions for short shift options but with OEM only parts:
  1. Gearstick bush:
    • How hard was the OEM bush for you, I have just tried mine and it feels like really hard rubber or softer polymer. Are you saying if change it with PTFE or POM-C one it would improve gear shift quite a lot? Picture of my current bush is below. I don't really plan to order it from diesel geek because the shipping is ridiculously expensive to Croatia but rather to manufacture it.
  2. Back to front lever:
    • As I am looking solution for MQ 350 MY 2016, which part should I use? 8J0 711 046 E or 5Q0 711 046 N ? The first one is from Audi TT mk2 and the second one is from Audi S3 8V and Audi TT mk3. Is there any difference between those two parts?
  3. Side to side lever:
    • What is the OEM equivalent version for MQ350 gearbox?

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_090010.jpg
    IMG_20210318_090010.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi @golfdave,
Sorry for hijacking the thread with MQ350 questions but the thread for MQ350 is quite dead.
I have a couple of questions for short shift options but with OEM only parts:
  1. Gearstick bush:
    • How hard was the OEM bush for you, I have just tried mine and it feels like really hard rubber or softer polymer. Are you saying if change it with PTFE or POM-C one it would improve gear shift quite a lot? Picture of my current bush is below. I don't really plan to order it from diesel geek because the shipping is ridiculously expensive to Croatia but rather to manufacture it.
  2. Back to front lever:
    • As I am looking solution for MQ 350 MY 2016, which part should I use? 8J0 711 046 E or 5Q0 711 046 N ? The first one is from Audi TT mk2 and the second one is from Audi S3 8V and Audi TT mk3. Is there any difference between those two parts?
  3. Side to side lever:
    • What is the OEM equivalent version for MQ350 gearbox?

In the start of this thread I link to this other thread done by someone who did the same to a MQ350 gearbox

Audi TT OEM Short Shifter and 42 Draft Design Bushes fitted to Golf MK7 GTD 6MT MQ350 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

The gearstick bushes on my car were soft, took them out & you could squeeze it flat...the Delrin ones from Dieselgeek were hard plastic/derlrin...so no give or movement...

I would strongly recommend the Dieselgeek Superpin, which will eliminate the majority of the movement in the shift...

Giuseppe Busso

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon mk3 1.8 FR
Part II

WARNING:-

You have to modify the “E” guide (Item No. 43) as the top part interferes with the metal weighted arm & will break off when the gear lever is in 4th gear. I trimmed mine as shown in the photos. These guide bushes are known for breaking & I wonder if this is the reason, bad design! However with the modification these are much better than the OEM guides as they are bigger & have more contact area to spread the forces.
@golfdave hello from Greece again.

Could you please help me with the modification that has to be done at the "E" guide?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave hello from Greece again.

Could you please help me with the modification that has to be done at the "E" guide?

Here's a better photo, you have to cut the top plastic section back as it interferes with the metal part when its fully moved that way.

DSCF0514-reduced.jpg

Giuseppe Busso

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon mk3 1.8 FR
Here's a better photo, you have to cut the top plastic section back as it interferes with the metal part when its fully moved that way.

View attachment 291212
Thank you very much.

Also what's the purpose of buying this 2 extra things?

For a full OEM factory set-up you still require these extra items:-
Item 48:- 1J0 711 067 L White plastic bearing bushing for main pivot, £1.67 (x2)

• N 908 159 03 – Retaining washer, metal Clip £0.58 (x1)
Can I use the one I've got from the OEM metal gear shift lever as I've already bought the kit 8J0 711 046 D?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you very much.

Also what's the purpose of buying this 2 extra things?

Can I use the one I've got from the OEM metal gear shift lever as I've already bought the kit 8J0 711 046 D?

The part "Item 48:- 1J0 711 067 L White plastic bearing bushing for main pivot, £1.67 (x2)"......This is the plastic "top hat" bush for the main pivot...I did not buy these & instead bought the bronze/brass bush set from 42DD.

The part "N 908 159 03 – Retaining washer, metal Clip £0.58 (x1)"......This is the metal clip for the end of the main pivot, you may already have this item.