GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The Transmission module has pre-loaded “profiles” if you will for the various transmissions offered on that particular box code. If the transmission you’re installing isn’t in the long coding then you won’t be able to set the car for the new ratios. It judges what gear you’re in by the RPM the engine is at for the speed you’re going based on that profile. If it can’t figure out what gear you’re in the ECU disables cruise control.

This info is based on a guy on Vortex’s research, he’s trying to put a Golf R 6MT in his S3.

I am trying to put a Golf R 6MT in my Alltrack, too.
It would be interesting to try as the gti 6spd profile shouldn't be in the 1.8 ecu, but it is. Unless the gti and Sportwagen share gear ratios because to get cruise control and gear indicator to work, had to select awd 6spd profile (credit to @Six Speed Tsi )

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
that's cool, explains when my clutch was slipping like the crazy and would log it the logs would instantly throw and show the car out of gear when it slipped.

i guess that would mean that if you got custom (synchro or dog) gears with altered ratios at that point CC would probably never work.
Something tells me the people doing that kinda work to their cars aren’t driving them on road trips. If anything, they’re towing those cars distances haha

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm just used to the gearing from years of German cars. Hard to gear a car for the Autobahn without having long gearing. It's a common complaint of the GT4 too, but it never bothers me when I drive one. My M Coupe was at redline in fifth at 164 mph, one of my German colleagues commented that he'd had one over there and it had about a 90 mile range at vMax, so roughly twenty five minutes between fill ups.

I've never driven a GT4, or any Porsche, but somehow I feel like I wouldn't be complaining if that was the case!

I get the need for long gearing up top for other markets, that's valid, but sadly I do not have an Autobahn near me :)

In fact the highways around me (Minneapolis) are generally 55 mph to 60 mph speed limits. I never use 6th gear, it's basically a totally waste for me. But I have no problem even at those speeds with the punchiness in 3rd / 4th / and even 5th on the highway. Car feels good in that situation.

My problem is I do a lot of city streets, stop and go 30-40 mph driving, so really it's the first three gears that piss me off. For me it's not just about being "long" or "tall", it's also the spread. The gap between 1st and 2nd is so ridiculous. Take up in 1st is also not great. I like to drive smooth so I'm usually getting smoked off stop lights left and right by SUV's and minivans. But more than anything, it just doesn't feel sporty.

It's probably better or less noticeable on back roads but 95% of the time that's not what I'm doing.

yeah GTI guys are stuck with your ratios. I have a guy on Vortex with a 19 6MT R whose gonna get me the long coding for all the bytes in his Transmission module. I am hoping that our ECUs have the same bytes and the “profile” so to speak for the Golf R 6MT is available in my Alltrack’s ECU, so I can swap a Golf R trans in for the shorter gearing. 6th gear spins like 2600 RPM @ 65 mph in the R, where it’s like 2K flat in my Alltrack.

I follow a VW/Audi scrapyard in North Jersey that gets totaled Golf R’s stock and modded all day long. If I can verify that an R trans will swap into my Alltrack without issue, I’m gonna keep my eyes peeled for a rear-ended 6MT R that’s been modded.

Hoping to find the jackpot: a 6MT with Wavetrack and upgraded DMF already installed. If I find that I could probably scoop it for like 1.5K

That sounds like a cool project. I wish I had the time and resources to tackle something like that. Maybe you should just swap a whole R engine while you're at it!

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Without reading through 20 pages worth in this thread I'd like to give a shoutout to Boomba Transmission Shifter Adapter. I put this bad boy in today and man, I'm in awe at how much a simple little piece changed the driving experience. I LOVE IT. Short shifts and very firm and precise. I've had the car since December so only around 5 months worth but in those 5 months I could say the shifter had long sloppy throws. Very akin to the mk6 (had to short shift that biznatch too). This little piece is like a REQUIREMENT if you are manual. I know there are other options and I'm sure they're just as good but let me say, if you are just stock, GET THIS at least. It's not too expensive, SUPER easy install (just don't drop the shift linkage clip, rofl) and you're on your way in around 10 minutes.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Without reading through 20 pages worth in this thread I'd like to give a shoutout to Boomba Transmission Shifter Adapter. I put this bad boy in today and man, I'm in awe at how much a simple little piece changed the driving experience. I LOVE IT. Short shifts and very firm and precise. I've had the car since December so only around 5 months worth but in those 5 months I could say the shifter had long sloppy throws. Very akin to the mk6 (had to short shift that biznatch too). This little piece is like a REQUIREMENT if you are manual. I know there are other options and I'm sure they're just as good but let me say, if you are just stock, GET THIS at least. It's not too expensive, SUPER easy install (just don't drop the shift linkage clip, rofl) and you're on your way in around 10 minutes.
Damn, I'm kinda sold. What was the hardest part of the install?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Since the boomba one just sandwich’s on your factory front to back gear selector the longest part of the install should he removing the factory air box to gain access, lol.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Since the boomba one just sandwich’s on your factory front to back gear selector the longest part of the install should he removing the factory air box to gain access, lol.
lol that sounds right. Plus I assume re-aligning everything after?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
lol that sounds right. Plus I assume re-aligning everything after?
Nah, there is no reason you would need to realign the adjustments for the boomba as it’s only shortening the throw of the front to back motion by like 30% you never touch or affect the side to side adjustments and that’s the cable that needs to be perfect for smooth operations.

I like the simplicity of the design, but keep in mind the boomba addresses nothing I regards to shifter slop or tightness, it merely makes the distance your hand moves from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc...a shorter distance front to back.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
That makes sense. I saw somewhere else it was recommended to pair it with the Dieselgeek super slide for a path of least resistance to maximum effect?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT

The hardest part of the install? Don't drop the damn shift linkage clip, lol. I pried it off (very easy to do so with a flat head) and I'm holding it. Next thing I know, I'm like, let me put this somewhere safe, wait, wtf did it go? It literally fell out of my fingers and I didn't hear it hit the floor. I'm like, oh god. Next thing I know, I'm reaching around down below all over the place and eventually decided to pull off some of the under body plastics to find it. Basically adding an additional 30 minutes to what should have been a 10 minute or less job. Don't even worry about the airbox. That thing pops up effortlessly and you don't have to unclip anything. Just set it aside and you have full access.

Lastly, make sure you're in neutral, lol. I was not and couldn't figure out why the heck I didn't have enough clearance to tighten down the adapter. I was doing other things to the car throughout the day so I had not realized I left it in 1st gear making one of the screws tough to tighten. I eventually moved it.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Nah, there is no reason you would need to realign the adjustments for the boomba as it’s only shortening the throw of the front to back motion by like 30% you never touch or affect the side to side adjustments and that’s the cable that needs to be perfect for smooth operations.

I like the simplicity of the design, but keep in mind the boomba addresses nothing I regards to shifter slop or tightness, it merely makes the distance your hand moves from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc...a shorter distance front to back.

Yeah. It shortens the throws but the shifter still has the wobble to it. That is not effected at all by this. Depending how much that bothers you, you can obviously clean that up with additional modding but for the core shift front to back reduction and having a firm shift experience, I'd say this does the job.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI

Yep, great upgrade especially with a shorter shift lever and bigger heavier shift knob. If you cannot install either of these without issue, you probably should not be touching anything else on the car, ever. ;)

z.jpg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The hardest part of the install? Don't drop the damn shift linkage clip, lol. I pried it off (very easy to do so with a flat head) and I'm holding it.
Protip from someone who's had these clips off (a lot) on a mk4 -- if you use an "L" shaped pick, you can gently work it into the front of the clip area and lift the little 'ear' over the pin it clips onto (much easier to understand if you're looking at the clip), and then there's less risk of shooting it off into oblivion. The little $.99 HF pick set works great for this.

anvin

Car(s)
2019 mk7
New member here, picked up a 2019 mt couple of weeks ago and just switched out the clutch line and put in the ecs bleeder block. This is a different clutch completely, getting off a stop on first gear is night and day, every shift is so clean.
Also did the HD clutch stop mod so this is like a new car all over again.