GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
So for anyone on the fence or just being lazy like me about pulling out the restrictor valve all I can say is DO IT! It is like driving a whole different car. Shifting and even leaving from a stop is so much smoother.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So for anyone on the fence or just being lazy like me about pulling out the restrictor valve all I can say is DO IT! It is like driving a whole different car. Shifting and even leaving from a stop is so much smoother.
Definitely worth. The only 'tricky' part is learning how to bleed the line afterwards if you've never done it before but even that isn't too bad

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
long travel, lack of feel, ultra wide gear spread, soft sprung pressure plate, bath tub engine mounts... yeah add it all up you’ve got a shitty 6MT lol

A lot of people cite the first two things as bothersome, but for me you nailed it with the last three. Sadly the ratios can't be changed, and a new pressure plate/clutch job is a lot of work and money. I replaced my engine mounts with BFI which are good, but the other two things still bug me about this car. I think they always will.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I guess I'm just used to the gearing from years of German cars. Hard to gear a car for the Autobahn without having long gearing. It's a common complaint of the GT4 too, but it never bothers me when I drive one. My M Coupe was at redline in fifth at 164 mph, one of my German colleagues commented that he'd had one over there and it had about a 90 mile range at vMax, so roughly twenty five minutes between fill ups.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
A lot of people cite the first two things as bothersome, but for me you nailed it with the last three. Sadly the ratios can't be changed, and a new pressure plate/clutch job is a lot of work and money. I replaced my engine mounts with BFI which are good, but the other two things still bug me about this car. I think they always will.

yeah GTI guys are stuck with your ratios. I have a guy on Vortex with a 19 6MT R whose gonna get me the long coding for all the bytes in his Transmission module. I am hoping that our ECUs have the same bytes and the “profile” so to speak for the Golf R 6MT is available in my Alltrack’s ECU, so I can swap a Golf R trans in for the shorter gearing. 6th gear spins like 2600 RPM @ 65 mph in the R, where it’s like 2K flat in my Alltrack.

I follow a VW/Audi scrapyard in North Jersey that gets totaled Golf R’s stock and modded all day long. If I can verify that an R trans will swap into my Alltrack without issue, I’m gonna keep my eyes peeled for a rear-ended 6MT R that’s been modded.

Hoping to find the jackpot: a 6MT with Wavetrack and upgraded DMF already installed. If I find that I could probably scoop it for like 1.5K

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I guess I'm just used to the gearing from years of German cars. Hard to gear a car for the Autobahn without having long gearing. It's a common complaint of the GT4 too, but it never bothers me when I drive one. My M Coupe was at redline in fifth at 164 mph, one of my German colleagues commented that he'd had one over there and it had about a 90 mile range at vMax, so roughly twenty five minutes between fill ups.

but like - have you ever driven a MK6 GTI? 6th spun @ 2750RPM @ 65 mph. 3100 @ 80. Shortest gear of any car ive owned. I never tuned that car and it was a blast to drive with the narrow ratios and K03.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
but like - have you ever driven a MK6 GTI? 6th spun @ 2750RPM @ 65 mph. 3100 @ 80. Shortest gear of any car ive owned. I never tuned that car and it was a blast to drive with the narrow ratios and K03.
Yeah, but it's been a minute. I think the goofiest is my dad's manual SLK, it redlines first at like 22 mph.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Unless my car was still stock power I wouldn't want the gears to be any shorter. But even when it was stock I didn't mind

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Unless my car was still stock power I wouldn't want the gears to be any shorter

Yeah with FWD you want those gears longer to smooth out power delivery. Since my Alltrack is AWD and I’m upgrading to IS20, I want those shorter gears for strong acceleration down low

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Could you swap the gears from a Golf r into a gti transmission?

Always wondered that.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Why not? How’s the cruise control communicate now?

The Transmission module has pre-loaded “profiles” if you will for the various transmissions offered on that particular box code. If the transmission you’re installing isn’t in the long coding then you won’t be able to set the car for the new ratios. It judges what gear you’re in by the RPM the engine is at for the speed you’re going based on that profile. If it can’t figure out what gear you’re in the ECU disables cruise control.

This info is based on a guy on Vortex’s research, he’s trying to put a Golf R 6MT in his S3.

I am trying to put a Golf R 6MT in my Alltrack, too.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The Transmission module has pre-loaded “profiles” if you will for the various transmissions offered on that particular box code. If the transmission you’re installing isn’t in the long coding then you won’t be able to set the car for the new ratios. It judges what gear you’re in by the RPM the engine is at for the speed you’re going based on that profile. If it can’t figure out what gear you’re in the ECU disables cruise control.

This info is based on a guy on Vortex’s research, he’s trying to put a Golf R 6MT in his S3.

I am trying to put a Golf R 6MT in my Alltrack, too.
that's cool, explains when my clutch was slipping like the crazy and would log it the logs would instantly throw and show the car out of gear when it slipped.

i guess that would mean that if you got custom (synchro or dog) gears with altered ratios at that point CC would probably never work.